new lift kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > new lift kit

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
bbq15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

new lift kit

thinking about upgrading my lift and suspension for my !999 wrangler tj

one option is the skyjacker 4 " economy kit. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_190_07.htm

anyone have any experience / opinions about this kit?

im not looking for extreme off road ability, just a taller stance on my jeep for beach driving and snow in winter etc.

bbq15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Go to TJ Tech, search and read. Lots of threads with questions like this. Short answer is that there are much better options than that and if you want to lift that much there is a lot more to it and you need to educate yourself.
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
bbq15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

previously completed upgrades:
new drum and disk breaks, new steering stabilizer/tie rods, rebuilt differentials (both axles), rebuilt 4.0L 6-cylinder engine, random other upgrades

ive done a bunch of research on the other items needed for a lift this size.
my big question is regarding Hydro or Nitro shocks? does anyone have any preference for comfortable driving on the road?
and also for this size lift does anyone recommend getting a new steering shaft??

thanks
bbq15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Steering shaft..? And if you've done research you'd know skyjacker is bottom of the list. At 4" you'll need an SYE and driveshaft and adjustable control arms.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq15 View Post
previously completed upgrades:
new drum and disk breaks, new steering stabilizer/tie rods, rebuilt differentials (both axles), rebuilt 4.0L 6-cylinder engine, random other upgrades

ive done a bunch of research on the other items needed for a lift this size.
my big question is regarding Hydro or Nitro shocks? does anyone have any preference for comfortable driving on the road?
and also for this size lift does anyone recommend getting a new steering shaft??

thanks
When you say steering shaft do you mean between the steering wheel and the box? Suspension lift doesn't really change that. Body lifts can though. Or if you mean the steering parts between the box and the wheels (e.g. draglink, tie rod, etc.) upgrading them is a good idea. What size tires do you intend to run?

Have never run either, but Hydros get almost universally better reviews than Nitros IIRC.

You haven't said anything about driveline adjustments (e.g. SYE, driveshaft, arms, etc.). Those are the kind of important changes you need to worry about at 4".
Unread 08-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

I didn't care for their Hydro 7000's on my WJ. They were noisy as in I could hear them cycling, especially the closer it got to freezing temperatures. Might not be a problem for you down south and they rode fine on various roads and held up wheeling but it annoyed the heck put of me. Last time I get a budget suspension component that's for sure. You get what you pay for.
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.