New to Jeeps looking for answers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > New to Jeeps looking for answers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-12-2004, 04:36 PM   #1
Capt. Steve

New to Jeeps looking for answers

Hi guys,

My name is Steve and I am from Michigan. I am looking for opinions on what jeep to purchase.

My wife and I intend on using it for trail riding, street running and bolting on a set of paddle tires for use at Silver Lake Sand Dunes. I would like to have a V8 or convert to a Chevy V8. I am also thinking of a tire size of 35's.

The problem I am having is what to buy as a base rig. A CJ 5 or 7 or a newer Wrangler. I am not sure what all the differences are as I am just starting to look into this project.

I would like to buy yet this fall so that I have all winter to work on it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Steve

Capt. Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2004, 08:02 PM   #2
atxtj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve
Hi guys,

My name is Steve and I am from Michigan. I am looking for opinions on what jeep to purchase.

My wife and I intend on using it for trail riding, street running and bolting on a set of paddle tires for use at Silver Lake Sand Dunes. I would like to have a V8 or convert to a Chevy V8. I am also thinking of a tire size of 35's.

The problem I am having is what to buy as a base rig. A CJ 5 or 7 or a newer Wrangler. I am not sure what all the differences are as I am just starting to look into this project.

I would like to buy yet this fall so that I have all winter to work on it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Steve

My uncle has a cj-7 that he uses for uphill drag races that has a 383 stroker in it. I think you'd have better luck with a cj. hth

Hers: 1981 CJ-7
Under Construction.
atxtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2004, 11:43 PM   #3
Bowhunter46563
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I love my Cherokee. Had a ball in Silver Lake. We love it
01 XJ/4" lift/33" DC Muds/Sidebiter Wheels/Surco/ Hi-lift/Pilot lights/Bad Apple Fab diff gaurds/Front and rear receiver hitches/Rusty's LCA's/ Magnaflow/Rubi HD Track bar and Brace/Big Daddy tie rod/TB Spacer/Ractive air intake/ Jet Stage 1/Pioneeer & Fusion Sound/AJ's Super rails/Warn Skid /BW Flat Flares/Bedlined Rockers and Quarters
Bowhunter46563 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have much exp in sand but from what I have seen usually sand is higher speed. I would tink a longer wheel base would be better.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
LoungeLizard

Longer wheelbase..............V8............. get a ZJ!
LoungeLizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2004, 11:51 AM   #6
rockon1202

CJ's can be found with V8's, but you'll be hard pressed to find a newer the YJ (87-95) or a TJ (97-) with a V8. The strongest stock engine the TJ comes with is a 4.0L I6, definitely capable enough for any off roading you'd be doing. If you wanted a TJ with a V8, you'd have to do it yourself or find one used that had a V8 dropped in by the previous owner. CJ's and YJ's have leaf spring suspensions, and the TJ has coilspring, giving it a smoother ride, and from what I can tell, better wheel articulation as well. Any of those three are a great choice though, very easily modifiable and rugged enough to take anything you throw at them. Good luck with your decision!!
rockon1202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.