Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Nervous about buying an XJ

742 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  warpig0305 
#1 ·
I am by no means a newb when it comes to turning a wrench, I have a fair amount of experience and know how when it comes to automotive topics.

I am only nervous because it seems like every Jeep I look at has had a hard life. Either people treated them like they were some mythical beasts that could be beat on and never serviced because it is too tough to break, or they have used it for what Jeeps are known for and went off road, which wouldn't be a problem except that I see how poorly people drive on the road, so I can only imagine how they acted off of it.

I prefer the XJ over most of the other style of Jeeps..mainly because I can't have a Wrangler with 2 kids and two dogs, and anything newer has been tainted by Chrysler.

I should play the safe daddy role and get a boring Honda Pilot or something, but truth be told, I miss having something to wrench on and I have always wanted a Jeep that is capable off road if I were to ever find myself there. Plus, they look cool with a little lift and some knobby tires.

Can some of you Jeepers please console me and tell me everything will be okay? Or, in expected fashion, post borderline cruel meme's and comments?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had my XJ for almost four years. Was great first car for my daughter. Don't regret buying it. But it is an 18 year old car. I bought it with relatively low mileage and other than a few times on the beach it had not been offroad but in no particular order I have fixed/replaced the battery, the distributor, most electrical sensors, the water pump, the thermostat, valve cover gasket, transmission pan, gasket and filter, the rear gate struts, shocks, bumpstops, exhaust and catalytic converter. In addition to dealing with random electrical issues (door plunger switches, frayed harness shorting to ground, corrosion and relays on fuse block and instrument cluster connections) and upgrading headlights, auxiliary lights and brakes (Vanco big brake kit). Don't really consider any of this extraordinary but if I weren't doing it myself it might make me regret the purchase and even doing it myself it has been annoying at times. The good news is prices for them are reasonable. Shop around. Be picky. Go in with your eyes open.

#3 ·
I have had 5 xj's. I can tell you that they are prone to death wobble. Make sure your target rig does not have it. If you have never experienced it, find someone who has and have them test drive it extensively. It is the only really serious problem an otherwise bullet proof rig has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.