need help choosing emergency warning lights for POV Jeep TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > need help choosing emergency warning lights for POV Jeep TJ

Poison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
rubicon4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

need help choosing emergency warning lights for POV Jeep TJ

Hey, I'm a volunteer FF/EMT and I'm looking to put some warning lights and siren on my Jeep Wrangler. I live in the station right now and want to have lights/siren equipped for when I am out grocery shopping, etc around the station. I have a light bar and was wanting to kind of use that to mount the lights to be low profile and maybe have a constant on mode for off-road. Some people say I can drill through my cheapo light bar lights and put LED strobes in there...? What kind of light/siren setup do you all run/recommend? Where can I find a good setup for the best price under $500 installed? I'm looking for LEDs for low amp draw and durability.

-I need at least a 100w siren and prefer PA/Speaker w/mic
-Would like to use existing light bar for led lights but open to other options such as behind grill or on front bumper. Don't want it to stand out too much though.
-Rear lighting? something I can use w/ hard top off/on maybe on rear bumper?

thanks in advance

"Now, we must all fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil, which we must fear most, and that is, the indifference of good men."
rubicon4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
dzdiver
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Don't do it!

My honest advice: Don't put warning lights and sirens on your personal rig. The increased liability simply is not worth it.

In the states I have worked in, emergency lights and sirens only belong on official agency owned emergency vehicles. There is very good reason for this.

I have worked in public safety for 20 years and continue to volunteer in emergency communications. Stay away from warning devices on your personal vehicle. Hopefully there are some people in your agency that can mentor you as to the numerous reasons why.

If you want more, PM me.
2002 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 3 speed auto. RE Super Flex 3.5 inch lift. Detroit Locker on Trussed Super 35 in rear, Detroit True-Trac in front. Re-geared to 4.11. Lots of Armor and recovery points. Tuffy Security boxes. 33 by 10.5 BFG Mud Terrains on AR Baja's.

Do you play hard? Are you adequately covered with health, life, and disability insurance? California licensed health/life agent.
http://www.insuredbymargy.com
dzdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
Indy

If you absolutely must have them, check local statutes to see what is actually legal. Around here, actual emergency colors are illegal on anything other than emergency vehicles, which volunteer is not. Forcing right of way by impersonating an emergency vehicle is a big no-no.

If you can have them, and use them, and cause a wreck, expect to spend the rest of your natural life paying off the family. Running hot is incredibly high liability even for those of us with hundreds of hours of EVO training.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
counselor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzdiver View Post
My honest advice: Don't put warning lights and sirens on your personal rig. The increased liability simply is not worth it.

In the states I have worked in, emergency lights and sirens only belong on official agency owned emergency vehicles. There is very good reason for this.

I have worked in public safety for 20 years and continue to volunteer in emergency communications. Stay away from warning devices on your personal vehicle. Hopefully there are some people in your agency that can mentor you as to the numerous reasons why.

If you want more, PM me.
Ditto. Don't do it.
counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
mwmoon
2007 JK Wrangler 

My cousin actually has a business where he refurbs and sells emergency lighting for vehicles (I think he caters mostly to actual emergency vehicles, but I don't really know for sure). He may have new products, too. I have no clue what his prices are, but he's hooked me up with some electrical work in the past, and he is very knowledgeable. If you're interested, send me a pm and I can check into it for you.
mwmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
gamer0
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
If you absolutely must have them, check local statutes to see what is actually legal. Around here, actual emergency colors are illegal on anything other than emergency vehicles, which volunteer is not. Forcing right of way by impersonating an emergency vehicle is a big no-no.

If you can have them, and use them, and cause a wreck, expect to spend the rest of your natural life paying off the family. Running hot is incredibly high liability even for those of us with hundreds of hours of EVO training.
even with lights on a FF/EMT rig can't do anythign... the dink l;ights and chase lights on a personale rig dose not let you do anythign you can't do in your normal car. you can't speed, you can't rnu a stop sign, you can't run red light, you CAN however confuse the HELL out of everyone

but i am with you.. i still want them on my jeep ^.^ just for show.. and becuase i am going to make my Jeep into the firehouse chase rig as ALS

[B]sound[/B]
new 3-way front speckers
1 sub
2 big stero speckers
[B]lift[/B]
[B]lights[/B]
Fog Lights
under glow in cab pulse to beat (blue)
[B]outside body work[/CENTER][/B][CENTER]Rugged Ridge RRC Front Grille Guard[/CENTER][CENTER] KC Windshield Light Mount Brackets [/CENTER]
[CENTER][B]Misc.[/B][/CENTER][CENTER]two handles[/CENTER]
gamer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
rubicon4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If I do get lights/siren, I would probably rarely use it for code3 driving since it is pretty easy to get to the station in my area driving code1. Probably use the PA for yelling at my buddies more. I think I'd only go code3 on "smoke showing" dispatches if I was around the corner, which is rare. The 2nd responding truck will usually wait for you if they hear your siren approaching the station. In KY, lights/siren on your vehicle means that you ARE designated an emergency vehicle by law. I understand you guys being hesitant about the potential liability of a wreck but again I would rather have it just for the heck of it even if its not often used.

"Now, we must all fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil, which we must fear most, and that is, the indifference of good men."
rubicon4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
shovelhead
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i live in a large farming community, and their are alot of 2 lane roads, as we are required to respond from where ever we are in the county if possible, i have no siren because i refuse to run hot to the scene, i do however have a whelen dual strobs on the dash and a little magnetic kojak light that i put on the roof or hood as needed for warning at the scene , that gets enough attention to get people to slow down coming up to the scene to try and help keep it safe,,we even get calls to respond to block roads for the power company to fix downed lines , i have sat at the entrance to a blind curve many times for hours when their is a storm and those 2 lights have been great to get traffic to stop for me to let them know the road is closed.
shovelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
tbcjeep97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you have a big dilemma on your hands to put lights on your POV or not... I say... " it never hurts to have them if you either roll up on a scene or even need help yourself and need to get noticed." Just use your head when you use them. Remember: when you are headed to a scene or the fire house, you are only ASKING for permission to pass or go through the intersection. I run Whelen LEDs all on my jeep.. and i have responded to many wrecks in my POV for traffic control because my lights are more effective than the departments. If you have any questions just feel free to ask. . Thanks!
tbcjeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 05:17 AM   #10
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

like everybody else, I'd suggest against it. I'm a volly FF/EMT and a paid critical care transport EMT. It's dangerous running "hot" or "code"... and usually not worth it if you're only going a short distance in a POV. Even my ambulances with $$$$ of lights and sirens on them don't get every bodies attention.

For my personal rig, I don't have anything except a small LED bar in the back window (XJ) that I just took out and am wiring up my LED tail lights with a sho-me flasher... intended use is for parked at a MVC scene. my state doesn't allow FFs or even fire police to use sirens so lights are worthless for getting anywhere unless you've got a ton of money to spend.

If your state allows you to have a siren and lights, and you REALLY need to get to the station or scene faster than normal... then go for it. Pick up a siren and 100W siren on ebay, and shop around for the lights. Wigwags for the headlights and LED strobes for the rear tails and any offroad lights you may have. I'm a fan of Whelen of course, but they're a little pricey. SoundOff has some very bright lights a little cheaper... I'd put a pair of XP63 lights on the bumper angled 45* out to help for intersections. A pair of their Ghost lights for either the grill or hood (very low profile). Can add a visor or dash light, too but I hate reflections. Put something in the back windows to the side so you don't get t-boned while stopped. I'd suggest adding an amber deck light to the rear, or another Ghost light attached to the 3rd brake light.
whatevah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 06:47 AM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I live in a rural and our first responders and Fire Department are volunteer and they have light in their personal vehicles. The ones telling you not to do it do not understand how a volunteer department can work. Most have them mounted inside their vehicles. Suction cups mount on the front window and a bar mounted inside the rear window. I think the real issue is the color of the lights and how far they are visible.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Here in PA red lights, red and white lights, red and blue lights all designate emergency vehicles. Blue lights, blue and white lights designate Fire, EMS, or K9 Search and Rescue personnel responding to a call. AKA blue and blue and white lights are courtesy lights only - they tell the general public that you are responding to a call. Sirens are only allowed on Emergency Vehicles. Now, if you're a Chief Officer (Chief, Deputy, Assistant, Battalion, FM, etc.) you can designate your POV as an Emergency Vehicle (Obtaining the proper forms and such of course) and have a red or red and white light as well as a siren. This is a choice, not a requirement. You can just run a blue light and no siren if you like.

I've come to realize that a majority of the general public is clueless when reacting to Emergency Vehicles.

Cases in point:

(1)
Several years ago I was riding Officer in our first out Engine, during rush hour of course. This Engine was BRIGHT yellow mind you, with an array of different warning features:

We were approaching a 4 way intersection, with a light. Our light was red. This was when traffic light preemption was just a dream. As we approached, checking traffic and preparing to make a right turn, there was a heavy cross traffic due to the time of day. Vehicular traffic on our left had stopped to allow us through the intersection. The lead vehicle on our right had also stopped to allow us through. Just before we entered the intersection, another vehicle to our right swerves around the stopped vehicle, into our lane, and back into his, nearly colliding with the vehicle in front of him, as well as us.

(2) Responding to another call, same Engine as above, same road as well. Traffic was fairly light as this was a Sunday around 7pm in summer. I was riding Officer again as we were moving at a good clip - I'd estimate 60 MPH in this 45 MPH zoned, 2 lane road, with visibility at least 1/2 a mile+ (fairly straight roads with a few hills). Weather was dry. Anyway, most vehicles were yielding properly by hitting a turn signal or flashers and moving off the road (both oncoming and same direction traffic). We approach a Mercedes doing the speed limit. As he notices us, he speeds up and starts matching our speed approx 50 yards ahead of us. He will not yield. He does this for a good 2 miles, as I of course write down his license plate # on our dry erase board up front to provide to the Police.

These are just two situations out of hundreds, if not thousands, that I entered for a 10 year period while responding to both Fire and EMS calls. To this day, I STILL see people not yielding right of way to Emergency Vehicles. The biggest pet peeve I have is when an Emergency Vehicle is coming the other way, on a NON-divided road, you must pull over! In lots of cases that Emergency Vehicle needs both sides of the road to safely pass vehicles who have not moved out of the way enough. A majority of people do not stop, do not pull over. If I am in my Jeep, I hit my flashers or turn signal and move over. Several times when I've done this I've had ignorant drivers PASS me and continue on while the Emergency Vehicle was nearly running them off the road since they didn't yield.

/rant.....

If you still want lights and or a siren, check out Galls and their forums, as well as eBay, Craigs List and your local Fire/EMS forums.
-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Toy
-03 VW Golf TDI (Diesel) - Commuter
-Former Jeeps: XJ, YJ, XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ, ZJ
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
-FDNY 9/11/01 - All gave some. Some gave all.
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
RescueJeep924
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon4x4 View Post
Hey, I'm a volunteer FF/EMT and I'm looking to put some warning lights and siren on my Jeep Wrangler. I live in the station right now and want to have lights/siren equipped for when I am out grocery shopping, etc around the station. I have a light bar and was wanting to kind of use that to mount the lights to be low profile and maybe have a constant on mode for off-road. Some people say I can drill through my cheapo light bar lights and put LED strobes in there...? What kind of light/siren setup do you all run/recommend? Where can I find a good setup for the best price under $500 installed? I'm looking for LEDs for low amp draw and durability.

-I need at least a 100w siren and prefer PA/Speaker w/mic
-Would like to use existing light bar for led lights but open to other options such as behind grill or on front bumper. Don't want it to stand out too much though.
-Rear lighting? something I can use w/ hard top off/on maybe on rear bumper?

thanks in advance
I recently Bought this Light bar for my Jeep the thing is just awesome and I had also installed some red slim lighters it not only works great but looks great. I am part of a rescue squad and this is very important to them especially where I live its all hills and blind curves. I will post a picture soon when the wife gets home with the jeep.
RescueJeep924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #14
cohutta20
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The volunteers in our area that are allowed to use emergency lights and sirens normally use them only to identify the driveway of the residence where the emergency is to help EMS. I have worked a lot of accidents where personal vehicles with lights were used to alert oncoming traffic of hazards around blind corners. Other than those specific situations, the pros don't really outweigh the cons in my opion. I have volunteered for sixteen years and haven't run lights on my own vehicle.
cohutta20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
cajunfireman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I run lights and a siren on my jeep. I have a authorized emergency vehicle permit issued to me, so everything's legit. I use my for response and it moves traffic just as good as the fire truck. All I can say is, dont go cheap. All my LEDs are Whelen, and my siren's Whelen. I've used some of the cheap brands, and they are not worth it. First of all, they aren't near as bright as my Whelens, and second, service/support isn't worth **** on some crappy chinese made LED lights. Stick with a brand that stands behind their product and will fix/replace when needed.

[COLOR="Red"][B]Firefighter Jeep Club Member #337[/B][/COLOR]

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." -John 15:13

Fight Crime....Shoot Back

[B]I'll keep my money, my guns, and my freedom. You can stick the change up your ***.[/B]
cajunfireman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.