My plan, need comments! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > My plan, need comments!

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 07-16-2001, 07:32 PM   #1
Keith
Admin

My plan, need comments!

Ok I'm going to start ordering parts for the build up. These are the upgrades I'm not so sure about so let me know what your views on them are. I have a 4cyl.

3.5 Tuff Country or 3.5 Superlift, need something good on the road yet flexy.
4.56 gears (Better MPG than 4.88 w/ 33's right?)
Front Detriot Gearless

Glock Forum
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2001, 11:01 PM   #2
hamyscj

Go with the Tuff Country EZ ride with RS9000's. You will not be disappointed. I have one on my CJ and all my friends are jealous of how it rides and flexes. As for the gears, it should get you better gas mileage but may be a dog on the hills. And the gearless locker, why the heck not? Oh yeah, spend the extra and get the remote kit for the shocks. I use mine almost daily. What tires are you going to run and what about a rear locker? Later, Steve.
Unread 07-17-2001, 09:35 AM   #3
93YJ

Hey Keith, I have tried many springs on my YJ from ProComp, to many custom made ones, but I have found Skyjacker to be by far better than any of the others. The flex they have seems to be better than some SOA setups I have wheeled with, and have a great ride off road. I was going to go SOA until I tested these springs out which gave me what I was after. As for shocks, I am currently running ES3000 from ProComp with no complaints, but I have yet to try others. With your 4cyl., the 4.56 gears should be a good choice for on and offroad driving.

I have a pretty decent pic taken at the slabs on July 4th that has the Skyjackers fully flexed out. You can find it on my homepage: http://beast.myjeeppage.com. Hollar if you need help, and I still have a stockpile of factory Wrangler springs if you want to try something custom...

Jay
www.txtrailriders.com
93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2001, 03:25 PM   #4
Keith
Admin

That's nice Jay, 4 inch Skyjacker, 2 inch body and 37 Boggers? I was thinking since they flex so good will they hold the weight once I get my new front bumper, winch, hi-lift mounted but then remembered you have a 350 up front so it should.

Skyjacker looks good and I read about their 6 inch but then also read about problems people have with it sagging.

Are you still running your rear 1/4 elipitcal? I was really intrested in doing that mod after I saw how well yours worked.

Glock Forum
Unread 07-18-2001, 05:05 PM   #5
93YJ

Yep, still running the 3/4 elliptic rear, and am still amazed at how well it works with little or no side effects. I have run the Skyjackers on the rear for a year and a half now with no noticable sag. The ProComps I had sagged within 4 months, so by comparison they seem to be holding up real well. I allow my front springs to achieve negative arch upon full compression, so I have doubts how long they will last. I just can't seem to bring myself to add bumpstops after seeing the flex possible with those springs. I'm even considering trimming the hood a bit to allow them to go even further! Hope this helps...

Jay
www.txtrailriders.com
93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2001, 05:25 PM   #6
RFWrangler

Hey Jay, I might be interested in some of those springs if he isnt. I want to put together a 3.5" for my 92 YJ. So if you happen to have any parts lyin around I might need that you arent using. let me know.
Clarion BD216, RF 200aIV, Clarion APA2030, RF HE2 12's, Rf 4x6's, RF 1" Tweets, Eclipse EUU-1300, Aura Bass Shakers Security: Clifford Power: Optima Yellow top,Thrush turbo 2 1/2" Exhaust, Radio Shack Sport CB, 102" whip antenna, Dual tips on Exhaust, K&N custom intake, KC Lightbar, 4 KC Daylighters.
Scored a 139 on the Jeep Rater.
RFWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2001, 07:45 PM   #7
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I too have been on a number of different kinds of springs. Not to mention I wheel with a lot of fellows with just as much or more experience. Now I'm not saying the other guy doesn't know what he's talking about, cause we all know things work different on different Jeeps. But the one set of springs that consistently gets a thumbs down is Skyjacker. I'm just say'n is all.

How is your Jeep currently equipped and what do you plan on doing in the future? How much gear (tools spares) do you carry? Is this a 4.0 or a 4 banger? Do you have a winch? Gerry cans?

If you're running a heavy Jeep, them Skyjackers ain't gonna cut it. Then again, if you're on a 4 banger without much weight otherwise, the Procomps would be the bad choice.

The one consistent set of springs that I know of seems to be the RE 4.5" Extreme lift. I personally have never owned a set. Seems it doesn't matter what Jeep you put them on, they work good. The other nice thing about that kit is that it is the only complete kit I know of. But, this is probably also one of the most expensive kits. I guess that's the price of risk free.

Personally, for a smooth ride, good flex and still get at least 3.5", I'd recommend Superlift. But these won't handle a beast of burden either.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2001, 10:35 PM   #8
Pantera

If'n you are locking the front, think about an ARB or OX Locker... The ability to lock and unlock at will would probably be worth it if you drive your Jeep® daily... On the other hand, you may not want to spend the dough on a Dana 30... It's up to you, I guess...
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2001, 07:37 AM   #9
Keith
Admin

Wow I forgot all about this post!
You will see what I have gone with this weekend when the new build-up section opens up. I changed plans a little

Glock Forum

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.