My jeep will not stayin the road - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > My jeep will not stayin the road

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
oleblackie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep will not stayin the road

Had my jeep out for a drive the other day and it was all over the road. It has always done this but not this bad. Does anybody have an idea of what might be going on or what needs to be fixed.

oleblackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

What yr make model? There's several causes.
There's alignment, tires, rims, ball joints, tie rods and ends, the steering box, bushings.
start with steering components, motor off have someone turn the wheel slowly side to side look for play or looseness.
The steering boxes have slack adjustments.
Check wheel bearings and ball joints by jacking the tire up and grabbing tire, shake it from top to bottom and left to right. Shouldn't have play there.
Rotate tires front to rear.
The very last thing you should do is mess with the stabilizer. It will mask the rear issue.

On a softer note if you're my uncle mike, stop drinking. Lol it will steer right lol. Just kidding
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
What yr make model? There's several causes.
There's alignment, tires, rims, ball joints, tie rods and ends, the steering box, bushings.
start with steering components, motor off have someone turn the wheel slowly side to side look for play or looseness.
The steering boxes have slack adjustments.
Check wheel bearings and ball joints by jacking the tire up and grabbing tire, shake it from top to bottom and left to right. Shouldn't have play there.
Rotate tires front to rear.
The very last thing you should do is mess with the stabilizer. It will mask the rear issue.

On a softer note if you're my uncle mike, stop drinking. Lol it will steer right lol. Just kidding
just tore apart our 012; ball joints. started driving like your uncle Mike..
Unread 10-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
Indy

Theres something wrong with your:
Tires
Wheels
Suspension
Alignment
Steering assembly
Frame
Etc.

Or a combination of any of the above. Best diagnosis possible over the internet.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check all tire pressure.
Check toe-in.
Check all tie rod ends/steering.
Check ball joints.
Check track bar.
Dry steer test, have someone move steering wheel back & forth engine off & look for play around all joints.
Shark_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleblackie View Post
Had my jeep out for a drive the other day and it was all over the road. It has always done this but not this bad. Does anybody have an idea of what might be going on or what needs to be fixed.
Stop drinking, problem solved.

Sorry, just had too. Anyhow, as you can see from the above posts there can be all kinds of reasons for the way your Jeep handles. If I were you I would start trouble shooting from the easiest and work your way up. For instance tire pressure and then ...
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.