My jeep sounds like a lawn mower!! Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > My jeep sounds like a lawn mower!! Help!

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
a7xqu33n

My jeep sounds like a lawn mower!! Help!

for awhile now my 96 grand cherokee laredo straight 6 has been sounding like a lawn mower! when i start it, it sounds horrible. i do not know anything about cars so i dont know where to begin or who to take it to. ive always has problems with my car and it never seems to get fixed when i take it in. it also does this thing like if it is going to die out on me, even when im driving i see that my rpms jumped up and my car kind of jolts when it does it. it hasnt turned off on me yet but its just annoying and recently my check engine light came on but i havent went to see whats wrong. would anyone know where i can begin with this loud noise or ever heard of any jeeps doing that jolting thing? thanks in advance!

a7xqu33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

As for the "sounding like a lawnmower", your fan clutch is probably seized, causing the mechanical fan to turn constantly (it is supposed to free-wheel most of the time). As for the CEL, go to any local auto parts store and they will probably loan you a code reader to find out what the ECU says is wrong. Lastly, clean your battery terminals. Jeeps are very sensitive to bad connection at the battery terminals, even while running.

If you don't know anything about cars, I'd suggest finding someone who does. A friend who is a wrench? High school auto tech program? Or you know, do what most people do: take it to a mechanic. Thankfully Jeeps are simple and easy to work on and really ANY professional should be able to diagnose this without any specialized training.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Go to a autozone or place like that they will run a scanner for free, then you can come back and tell us what it said we should at least be able to give you direction. As far as the noise could be clutch on the fan seized have you noticed a loss in power or mileage? Or it could be just a muffler issue.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.