Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My Herculiner thread

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Hesher420 
#1 · (Edited)
There are always many questions about bedliner paints on JF. I prefer Herculiner myself and use it on a lot. I have seen many pic writeups of painting the Jeep tub, but not of painting aftermarket parts. Of corse Herc. will appear differently depending on how you apply it, but I wanted to put this out there for those people who are interested in bedliner paints but do not know what to expect the finish to look like.

I ordered my parts from AtoZ Fab (for my '06) and Olympic (for the wife's '00). The parts from AtoZ I ordered raw steel since I would be painting anyway. I pre-painted them with 2 coats primer and 3 coats black rustoleum. The Olympic parts came in a gloss black finish. I then used 50 grit sandpaper to scratch and scuff the finishes on all parts. Followed that with a good liberal wipe down with xylene.

I applied the Herc. with a combination of the supplied foam roller and a 2" paint brush. Here are what the parts look like after the first coat of Herculiner.

AtoZ Fab. front bumper

AtoZ Fab. rear bumper

AtoZ Fab. rocker gaurds

Olympic front bumper

Olympic rear bumper

Some close up texture shots

This does take up a bit of room in the yard.
Be prepared for the unavoidable uummm..... complaints.... from the wife.

I will post more pics after the second coat has been finished, but it will be a few days. I will be flippeing the parts tomorrow to finish the first coat on the bottom sides.

:wave:

See less See more
#5 ·
I've heard several times before comments like... "I would Herc. mine, but when I wash the Heap, I want it to be clean." ...and... "The Herc. holds to much of the dirt and clay in the texture to ever come clean enough for me."

Since I just got back from a wheeling trip, I thought I'd share just how easy it is to get Herc'ed surfaces clean. A pressure washer works great, but if you do not have one, here is an easy way to do it.

1) After washing the Jeep with hose and car wash soap.

2)The tools I use.

3)After only 5 minutes of lightly brushing the dirt off along with rinsing from the garden hose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.