My first suspension lift. HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > My first suspension lift. HELP!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 02-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
dylanhaiduk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My first suspension lift. HELP!

Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I just can't seem to come to any better conclusions. I have a 97 TJ sport with a new 8.8 rear end installed and sitting on 31 bf all terrains. I finally got money for the lift, about 1500 hundred from my dad. I'm willing to throw in about 600 so that puts us above 2000. I have narrowed my choices down to BDS and rubicon express. The lift I have been looking at the most is the BDS 4.5 inch lift. If I do this will I have to replace the sye and driveshaft? That's the one thing keeping me from going big. Another option is the 3 inch BDS lift for significantly cheaper and without having to replace the sye and driveshaft. Should I just go big or go home? I also want my jeep to look like its obviously lifted, not questionable at all. I dont want the big tires stuffed under kinda look. I've been waiting for years to do this and my brain hurts from doing so much research. Thanks a lot for the help!

dylanhaiduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Coasttrash
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Go 3inch, get adjustable control arms (currie/rokem) get the sye and shaft and a 1.25 BL and 1" MML. Then go show those trails what's up
SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #105

Zone 4.25 lift, smittybilt stinger, smittybilt winch, 33 bfg km2, savvy arms, TW Shaft, rampage frameless top
Coasttrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
PurplePeaches

I have a question... what does 8.8 rear end installed. I'm new so I'm trying to figure what things mean. Thank u
PurplePeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanhaiduk View Post
Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I just can't seem to come to any better conclusions. I have a 97 TJ sport with a new 8.8 rear end installed and sitting on 31 bf all terrains. I finally got money for the lift, about 1500 hundred from my dad. I'm willing to throw in about 600 so that puts us above 2000. I have narrowed my choices down to BDS and rubicon express. The lift I have been looking at the most is the BDS 4.5 inch lift. If I do this will I have to replace the sye and driveshaft? That's the one thing keeping me from going big. Another option is the 3 inch BDS lift for significantly cheaper and without having to replace the sye and driveshaft. Should I just go big or go home? I also want my jeep to look like its obviously lifted, not questionable at all. I dont want the big tires stuffed under kinda look. I've been waiting for years to do this and my brain hurts from doing so much research. Thanks a lot for the help!
You should get a hold of Gerald at Savvy. The Currie 4" kit works even better than I had hoped and Gerald can give you a really great price.

For $2,000 you can put together a really great short arm lift that works great with 35's. Don't forget about your steering and brakes if you do go with big tires.

RIP 4-14-2012
mike481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeaches View Post
I have a question... what does 8.8 rear end installed. I'm new so I'm trying to figure what things mean. Thank u
It's pretty common for guys with D35 rear ends to swap in an 8.8 out of a ford explorer. Here is a link describing the swap and what it cost.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/8-...thread-501704/

I had to guess what year your jeep is by looking at your profile picture. If you fill in your profile other members will be able to help you a lot easier. If it makes you feel any better everybody was new here at one time.

Welcome to jeepforum

RIP 4-14-2012
mike481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
PurplePeaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike481 View Post
It's pretty common for guys with D35 rear ends to swap in an 8.8 out of a ford explorer. Here is a link describing the swap and what it cost.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/8-...thread-501704/

I had to guess what year your jeep is by looking at your profile picture. If you fill in your profile other members will be able to help you a lot easier. If it makes you feel any better everybody was new here at one time.

Welcome to jeepforum
heyy thamk you. well im still looking out for a jeep. ive yet to find one. im searching around online on knowledge about jeeps. ive been jeepin' for the last couple months. i would have gotten the one shown in my picture(which is a 97 tj se for 6,000) but im going to wait until i get back from deployment to actual purchase my first jeep. ive been driving this 2002 tj x which is shown in my profile pic but its not mine and im dieing to get one.
Unread 02-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
dylanhaiduk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike481 View Post
You should get a hold of Gerald at Savvy. The Currie 4" kit works even better than I had hoped and Gerald can give you a really great price.

For $2,000 you can put together a really great short arm lift that works great with 35's. Don't forget about your steering and brakes if you do go with big tires.
Thanks Mike. I'm still new to this as you can tell. So as far as replacing the SYE and driveshaft... is it basically a rule of thumb to need those for a lift over 3.5? Those extra two mods are really keeping me riding the fence between 4.5 and 3.5.
Unread 02-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
dylanhaiduk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have any pics they would like to share?!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.