JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   My first suspension lift. HELP! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/my-first-suspension-lift-help-1323027/)

dylanhaiduk 02-01-2012 11:19 PM

My first suspension lift. HELP!

Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I just can't seem to come to any better conclusions. I have a 97 TJ sport with a new 8.8 rear end installed and sitting on 31 bf all terrains. I finally got money for the lift, about 1500 hundred from my dad. I'm willing to throw in about 600 so that puts us above 2000. I have narrowed my choices down to BDS and rubicon express. The lift I have been looking at the most is the BDS 4.5 inch lift. If I do this will I have to replace the sye and driveshaft? That's the one thing keeping me from going big. Another option is the 3 inch BDS lift for significantly cheaper and without having to replace the sye and driveshaft. Should I just go big or go home? I also want my jeep to look like its obviously lifted, not questionable at all. I dont want the big tires stuffed under kinda look. I've been waiting for years to do this and my brain hurts from doing so much research. Thanks a lot for the help!

Coasttrash 02-01-2012 11:53 PM

Go 3inch, get adjustable control arms (currie/rokem) get the sye and shaft and a 1.25 BL and 1" MML. Then go show those trails what's up

PurplePeaches 02-02-2012 01:59 PM

I have a question... what does 8.8 rear end installed. I'm new so I'm trying to figure what things mean. Thank u

mike481 02-02-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanhaiduk (Post 12971836)
Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I just can't seem to come to any better conclusions. I have a 97 TJ sport with a new 8.8 rear end installed and sitting on 31 bf all terrains. I finally got money for the lift, about 1500 hundred from my dad. I'm willing to throw in about 600 so that puts us above 2000. I have narrowed my choices down to BDS and rubicon express. The lift I have been looking at the most is the BDS 4.5 inch lift. If I do this will I have to replace the sye and driveshaft? That's the one thing keeping me from going big. Another option is the 3 inch BDS lift for significantly cheaper and without having to replace the sye and driveshaft. Should I just go big or go home? I also want my jeep to look like its obviously lifted, not questionable at all. I dont want the big tires stuffed under kinda look. I've been waiting for years to do this and my brain hurts from doing so much research. Thanks a lot for the help!

You should get a hold of Gerald at Savvy. The Currie 4" kit works even better than I had hoped and Gerald can give you a really great price.

For $2,000 you can put together a really great short arm lift that works great with 35's. Don't forget about your steering and brakes if you do go with big tires.

mike481 02-02-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurplePeaches (Post 12975045)
I have a question... what does 8.8 rear end installed. I'm new so I'm trying to figure what things mean. Thank u

It's pretty common for guys with D35 rear ends to swap in an 8.8 out of a ford explorer. Here is a link describing the swap and what it cost.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/8-...thread-501704/

I had to guess what year your jeep is by looking at your profile picture. If you fill in your profile other members will be able to help you a lot easier. If it makes you feel any better everybody was new here at one time.

Welcome to jeepforum:D

PurplePeaches 02-07-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike481 (Post 12975472)
It's pretty common for guys with D35 rear ends to swap in an 8.8 out of a ford explorer. Here is a link describing the swap and what it cost.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/8-...thread-501704/

I had to guess what year your jeep is by looking at your profile picture. If you fill in your profile other members will be able to help you a lot easier. If it makes you feel any better everybody was new here at one time.

Welcome to jeepforum:D

heyy thamk you. well im still looking out for a jeep. ive yet to find one. im searching around online on knowledge about jeeps. ive been jeepin' for the last couple months. i would have gotten the one shown in my picture(which is a 97 tj se for 6,000) but im going to wait until i get back from deployment to actual purchase my first jeep. ive been driving this 2002 tj x which is shown in my profile pic but its not mine and im dieing to get one. :drool:

dylanhaiduk 02-13-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike481 (Post 12975421)
You should get a hold of Gerald at Savvy. The Currie 4" kit works even better than I had hoped and Gerald can give you a really great price.

For $2,000 you can put together a really great short arm lift that works great with 35's. Don't forget about your steering and brakes if you do go with big tires.

Thanks Mike. I'm still new to this as you can tell. So as far as replacing the SYE and driveshaft... is it basically a rule of thumb to need those for a lift over 3.5? Those extra two mods are really keeping me riding the fence between 4.5 and 3.5.

dylanhaiduk 02-13-2012 01:17 PM

Does anyone have any pics they would like to share?!

The time now is 01:32 PM.