my cj-8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > my cj-8

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-30-2001, 04:44 PM   #1
mohmane

my cj-8

i need to figure out what winch to get also any jeep events around nc

mohmane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2001, 01:26 PM   #2
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

I've got an 8000 lb warn up front on my yj and a 6000 lb warn on a receiever mount that I can put on the rear. The 6000 lb is "fast"! I'd get at least an 8000 lb but look for a fast line speed with power in, power out, and freespooling capibilities.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2001, 08:37 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have talked to a bunch of buddies with winches, and so far, most have said that 6000lb is ok if you use a high amp alternator. Expect double line pulls most of the time with the 6000lb.

8000lb winches are more than capable of getting Jeeps out of trouble using single line only .. double line for the crazy stucks.

Anything over 9000lb is overkill on most Jeeps .. unless you are running 40" or larger tires. You are more likely to rip your frame in half with a 12,000lb winch if one end is tied to a tree and the other is pullin' a buddy out.

You will want the lowest profile winch possible to keep the airflow to the radiator maximum to prevent over heating.

Make sure to build a "winch kit" that includes gloves, tree saver, cable dampner, shackles, snatch block .. visit Warn.com and click on their accessories listing .. they do have premade kits available as well.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2001, 04:43 PM   #4
Jeep Chic

I have a Warn x8000i. Mounted on a Tomken plate w/ brush guard. I did a lot of research before it was purchased. I think this was the "biggest bang for the buck". And best warranty.
Jeep Chic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2001, 10:15 AM   #5
Wicked YJ

The only major event I can think of is the Dixie run in Tellico in October. I think the web address is www.sfwda.org/dixie01/index.html
4" RE lift, 2" body lift, 4.10 gears, ford 8.8 in the rear, powertrax No-Slip in the rear, lockrite in the front, complete custom roll cage by Carolina rock shop, and corbeau seats and 5pt. harnesses, and of course herculined
Wicked YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2001, 09:09 PM   #6
WrangledTJ

Quote:
Originally posted by mohmane:
i need to figure out what winch to get also any jeep events around nc
Generally speaking, the winch you get should be at least 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle. A good 8000 or 9000 lb winch will work nicely on a Jeep.

As for Jeep Events, there is an event called the Fall Scramble in which I will more than likely be trail guiding at Uwharrie National Forest the first weekend of November.

You can get more info at: http://scrambler.cj-8.com/fallscramble.asp

Here's some info on the Spring Scramble that took place this year: http://scrambler.cj-8.com/images/eve...001/index.html

If you have any questions, feel free to email me privately. Hope to see ya there!
WrangledTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.