My budget (Harbor Freight) Jeep Trailer Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > My budget (Harbor Freight) Jeep Trailer Build

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 07-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #31
mrclean77
2013 JK Wrangler 

I want the heavier version so as to go w/12" wheels - I have hauled my dad's motorcycle trailer and its 8" wheels kinda look like I'm hauling something from my kid's playroom...but...I am concerned the springs on the "heavier" one will be too stiff as I know I will be loading it down with more bulk than weight.

JMO - I am thinking more of a lid and rack as opposed to piling up high, that way the lid stays on and you can put coolers/stuff that can get wet on top

mrclean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #32
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Guys, guys... the solution to your stiff springs is simple: swap them out for softer springs. That's what I did on my little trailer.

The factory slipper springs are too stiff especially for what you'll be carrying - there's minimal movement with them. The slipper design has too much friction to flex well. It's a poor design, and I don't know why they use it (it's cheap?).

What you need are some longer, softer springs with a real shackle at one end like a real leaf spring is designed to use.

Start here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post14563473

Keep going to here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post14668127

and keep reading through the next few pages - it should cover it all. If not, send me a PM. This was a totally 100% bolt-on affair (yes, I had to drill some holes...).

I used 26" springs because of some quirks on my 4' black trailer. For the 4' red trailer (or any other trailer really) you should be able to use 28" springs, which being slightly longer and a slightly lower spring rate, should ride even better than my 26" springs. And even the 28" springs combined are rated for over 1000lbs (you'll never get there with your little trailers unless you're really trying). I also gained an inch in trailer height even with moving my axle from below the springs to above the springs.
trailer-springs.1.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #33
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Good idea Army. What I did to get a smoother ride and less bounce was simply removed one of the heavier leafs. You can just unbolt one side at a time, remove the leaf and put it back together. Then do the other side. I am going to do what Army suggested once I upgrade to big wheels and a heavier axle, but until then I just removed one leaf. And it's free!

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.