Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My budget (Harbor Freight) Jeep Trailer Build

15K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  bobdog 
#1 ·
Since I bought my Jeep a couple months back I have been wanting a small trailer I can tow behind it to stow my gear in for camping. I looked at the explorer box type designs and then ran across this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/mini-harbor-freight-type-trailer-ultimate-build-up-thread-1180456/ here on the forum. It inspired me to build my own design.

I will be documenting it as I make progress. The plan is to have it finished no later than June 27th. That is when my tent arrives I have on order and I plan on a long road trip to Yellowstone the week after the 4th of July.

#30 ·
I towed the trailer to Yellowstone and back this past weekend. It is approximately 5 1/2 hours each direction. I averaged 75-80 on the freeway with no issues. My wife drove separate following me the entire way (we had too many people for this trip) and said the trailer tows straight. She did say it bounces when hitting a bump on the freeway probably catching a bit of air.

There are a few downsides to this trailer. First I cannot see it in my mirrors, the trailer is narrow and the spare blocks me from seeing the top. Second I believe this trailer has too stiff of a suspension for my needs. I bought the heavier version of the HF trailer as stated earlier in this thread. I should have gone with the cheaper one as it has softer springs. Next this trailer may prove to be too small. There were 5 of us on this trip which is unusual. Usually it will only be 2 or 3 of us so the trailer may work out in the long run. But by the time I load all my camping gear and dogs it is pushing it to fit everything. I am considering removing the lid so I can stack gear higher and just tarp it and strap it down. By doing this I could fit quite a bit more gear than with the lid on. the other option is to put a rack on top of the lid to strap gear to. I am not sure what direction I am going to go. This is a work in progress.

Here is a pic of my Jeep with the trailer behind it in Yellowstone National Park.

#31 ·
I want the heavier version so as to go w/12" wheels - I have hauled my dad's motorcycle trailer and its 8" wheels kinda look like I'm hauling something from my kid's playroom...but...I am concerned the springs on the "heavier" one will be too stiff as I know I will be loading it down with more bulk than weight.

JMO - I am thinking more of a lid and rack as opposed to piling up high, that way the lid stays on and you can put coolers/stuff that can get wet on top

#32 ·
Guys, guys... the solution to your stiff springs is simple: swap them out for softer springs. That's what I did on my little trailer.

The factory slipper springs are too stiff especially for what you'll be carrying - there's minimal movement with them. The slipper design has too much friction to flex well. It's a poor design, and I don't know why they use it (it's cheap?).

What you need are some longer, softer springs with a real shackle at one end like a real leaf spring is designed to use.

Start here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...d-up-thread-1180456/index23.html#post14563473

Keep going to here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...d-up-thread-1180456/index25.html#post14668127

and keep reading through the next few pages - it should cover it all. If not, send me a PM. This was a totally 100% bolt-on affair (yes, I had to drill some holes...).

I used 26" springs because of some quirks on my 4' black trailer. For the 4' red trailer (or any other trailer really) you should be able to use 28" springs, which being slightly longer and a slightly lower spring rate, should ride even better than my 26" springs. And even the 28" springs combined are rated for over 1000lbs (you'll never get there with your little trailers unless you're really trying). I also gained an inch in trailer height even with moving my axle from below the springs to above the springs.

Attachments

#33 ·
Good idea Army. What I did to get a smoother ride and less bounce was simply removed one of the heavier leafs. You can just unbolt one side at a time, remove the leaf and put it back together. Then do the other side. I am going to do what Army suggested once I upgrade to big wheels and a heavier axle, but until then I just removed one leaf. And it's free!:2thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.