My beat up, rusty ole bucket. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > My beat up, rusty ole bucket.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Meiacanthus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My beat up, rusty ole bucket.

I'm wondering if it is worth continuing to put money into my 95 YJ. He has 280,000 kilometres on him. I've only put about 15k a year, this will be my third winter with him. I've had a mechanic friend of mine work on him every now and then, the occasional new part, windshield wiper motor, alternator, etc, but it appears that at one time, the entire motor was removed and replaced with a 98 engine. This might indicate that the mileage is a great deal lower than what the speedometer reads, is there a way I can find out what the actual mileage is on this engine? He is also not trail-ready, he needs tow hooks, etc, to be truly safe off-road.
At any rate, the rest of the vehicle has seen some action. The bodywork was re-done and he had a new paint job when I bought him, but after only three winters, he is beginning (continuing...) to rust and it is quite evident that he will need some work this coming spring. Prolly around 5,000 dollars for a decent paint job. He also needs about $1500.00 worth of suspension work (no, I can't do it myself, I live in a condo and park in an underground garage where mechanical work on vehicles is prohibited...) Yes, I have friends, but they have busy lives and I hesitate to ask them for more help, especially for such extensive work.
Suspension prices are high here in Canada. I could probably sell him as is, today at the same price I paid for him (I got a good deal, actually) but I hate to part with him, though logic dictates I do sell him and buy a newer model, Jeeps are expensive here, a 2003+ model would easily run me $12,000. Either way, I'm looking at spending another 7-10k, either in repairs/upgrades/rebuilds, or in another vehicle. I could buy a new vehicle and not have to worry about it falling apart in midwinter, or I could keep him and try to rebuild him before he self destructs, and risk the money-pit syndrome. I could get a loan to pay for a new vehicle, but not to rebuild an old one. I cannot afford to have him out of commission for long periods, he is my daily driver to work, as well.
Ahhh, the complications.

All thoughts on this matter are appreciated.

TIA, Gwendolyn

Meiacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.