My 2012 Cherokee's engine won't shut off!!! Help - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Tyandbrit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Converse
Posts: 1
My 2012 Cherokee's engine won't shut off!!! Help

Okay, really weird but my engine won't shut off. I'm on a road trip and when I got to my destination it wouldn't shut off! There is nothing in the manual for it but tried the remote start, button even the key itself. Even disconnected the battery without avail. It ran for about an hour more and then randomly turned off after I got in and the key buttons got pushed in my pocket. I was out in the middle of nowhere so didn't push the issue. Today didn't have trouble starting it but again, it won't shut off. The company party line is to take it to a dealer but I have another day of driving before I get back home. I was hoping some jeep experts could help. Thank you in advance!

Tyandbrit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 AM
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's
 
leftlanetruckin's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: missouri via blackpool,lancs.
Posts: 10,625
Dont know why it did it, and am guessing it is a Grand Cherokee, not a Cherokee?
Either way, to shut it off in the future if needed, There are various relays you can pull.
Fuel pump, injectors, ignition, etc.
Have a look under the hood in the fuse and relay box, and look at the relays so you know which ones to pull.

Martin

1998 XJ on 37's.JK Rubi axles with chromo shafts and ctm's, 4:1 transfer case, etc etc etc.
2003 Range Rover HSE, 4.4 Quad Cam.
1998 Range Rover with a 6.0 LSx
1994 YJ, 4.3/700R4/OME SOA, etc
Western Star 4900EX 4 axle.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
leftlanetruckin is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 PM
moses21
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: hamburg
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyandbrit View Post
Okay, really weird but my engine won't shut off. I'm on a road trip and when I got to my destination it wouldn't shut off! There is nothing in the manual for it but tried the remote start, button even the key itself. Even disconnected the battery without avail. It ran for about an hour more and then randomly turned off after I got in and the key buttons got pushed in my pocket. I was out in the middle of nowhere so didn't push the issue. Today didn't have trouble starting it but again, it won't shut off. The company party line is to take it to a dealer but I have another day of driving before I get back home. I was hoping some jeep experts could help. Thank you in advance!
Im confused on how discounecting the negative ground for the battery wouldn't turn the car off. Thats really weird.
moses21 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's
 
leftlanetruckin's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: missouri via blackpool,lancs.
Posts: 10,625
Not really.
I have had more vehicles run with a battery disconnected, than not.

Martin

1998 XJ on 37's.JK Rubi axles with chromo shafts and ctm's, 4:1 transfer case, etc etc etc.
2003 Range Rover HSE, 4.4 Quad Cam.
1998 Range Rover with a 6.0 LSx
1994 YJ, 4.3/700R4/OME SOA, etc
Western Star 4900EX 4 axle.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
leftlanetruckin is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM
IslandTJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935'
Posts: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by moses21 View Post
Im confused on how discounecting the negative ground for the battery wouldn't turn the car off. Thats really weird.
I believe it's because of the Jeep's alternator. Once on and engine running, the alternator is the primary device that supplies electrical power to the Jeep; the battery in turn, is now the secondary source of electricity.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Now Jeeping in Oregon
IslandTJ is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 AM
moses21
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: hamburg
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post

I believe it's because of the Jeep's alternator. Once on and engine running, the alternator is the primary device that supplies electrical power to the Jeep; the battery in turn, is now the secondary source of electricity.
Ohh ok. You learn something new everyday!!!
moses21 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 PM
wheelin
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 123
WIN. Wireless ignition noid. Which is your ignition switch probaly bad. Take it to a dealer

95 yj
wheelin is offline  
Reply

Tags
engine , shut off

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome