Moab Trail Preferences - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Moab Trail Preferences

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 05-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Moab Trail Preferences

I'm looking for help from all of the MOAB experts! This will be my first trip, and I'm trying to put together a trail itinerary, but could use some input.

We have about 7 rigs goin right now:
(2x) Rubi on 35's
Rubi on 33's
TJ on 33's (Front locker)
CJ7 on 33's (open)
XJ on 32's (Front locker)
JK...I'm unsure of?

Keep their capabilities in mind, as I don't expect to run trails like Upper Proving Grounds, and some of the rigs will probably even opt out of Hell's Gate, Escalator, and Mickey's Hot Tub and take the bypasses.

Saturday's Plan
(3-trips, not for wimps, no complaining allowed);
Trip #1 - Fins & Things (Note - $5.00/day entrance fee per rig).
Trip #2 - Hells Revenge (Note - $5.00/day entrance fee per rig).

Options for trip #3;
Flat Iron Mesa
or
Moab Rim
or
Steel Bender

Sunday's Plan
(3-trips, start early end late, no whiners or we'll send you home early);
Trip #1 - Poison Spider Mesa
Trip #2 - Golden Spike
Trip #3 - Gold Bar

Monday's Plan
(Nothing scheduled, I'd like to plan another 3-trips though)

Maybe Kane Creek Canyon or Pritchett Canyon, and then whatever trails we didnt do on Saturday?

Any suggestions/critiques would be appreciated.

Unread 05-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
stokesj19
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like fun. Post pics when you return, and hope yall have a great trip.
stokesj19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Icemanii
1983 CJ7 

You may want to take a little time to visit Arches and Canyonlands National Parks while you are there.

Also, Area BFE is right down the road from Moab.

Have fun.

GLFWDA Land Use Committee Member
Icemanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
baldfatdad

As long as its dry you should be fine. If it rains (rare this time of year) the opens may have some trouble in the mud/sand.
Take a lot of water with you its hot/dry.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
VirtualRussel
1985 CJ7 

We were just out there a couple of weeks ago and Behind the Rocks was one of my favorite trails. The obstacles are tough and the scenery is beautiful. For those that don't want to tackle the tough obstacles the bypasses still had plenty of bite on them.
VirtualRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobojo View Post
I'm looking for help from all of the MOAB experts! This will be my first trip, and I'm trying to put together a trail itinerary, but could use some input.

We have about 7 rigs goin right now:
(2x) Rubi on 35's
Rubi on 33's
TJ on 33's (Front locker)
CJ7 on 33's (open)
XJ on 32's (Front locker)
JK...I'm unsure of?

Keep their capabilities in mind, as I don't expect to run trails like Upper Proving Grounds, and some of the rigs will probably even opt out of Hell's Gate, Escalator, and Mickey's Hot Tub and take the bypasses.

Saturday's Plan
(3-trips, not for wimps, no complaining allowed);
Trip #1 - Fins & Things (Note - $5.00/day entrance fee per rig).
Trip #2 - Hells Revenge (Note - $5.00/day entrance fee per rig).

Options for trip #3;
Flat Iron Mesa
or
Moab Rim
or
Steel Bender

Sunday's Plan
(3-trips, start early end late, no whiners or we'll send you home early);
Trip #1 - Poison Spider Mesa
Trip #2 - Golden Spike
Trip #3 - Gold Bar

Monday's Plan
(Nothing scheduled, I'd like to plan another 3-trips though)

Maybe Kane Creek Canyon or Pritchett Canyon, and then whatever trails we didnt do on Saturday?

Any suggestions/critiques would be appreciated.
Wow you are pretty ambitious. Golden spike alone will be all day.
You could probably do Fins and Things and Hell's Revenge in a day but it is going to be a long day.
Personally I would skip Fins and Things and do Moab rim and then Hell's Revenge
I have never done Kane Creek Canyon but I have done Pritchett Canyon.
#1 I would not go there without someone that has run it before.
#2 I would not go there without front and rear lockers and a winch.
#3 No Dana 35s and vehicles that are up to the task. I could not amagine trying to get a disabled vehicle out of there!
Then again I think we did do Kane Creek Canyon a number years ago. We got lost! Thank god one of us had a good GPS as it was getting dark real fast!
Rocker knocker in Pritchett Canyon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8lLn...embedded#at=14
There is a by pass but it is pretty nasty too.
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep em coming!

After more research and suggestions, I think we'll cross Moab Rim and Pritchett Canyon off the list...

How about Strike Ravine, Flat Iron Mesa, and Steel Bender on Monday? They're all loop trails right off 191

For sure:
Fins & Things
Hells Revenge
Poison Spider Mesa
Golden Spike
Gold Bar

Considering:
Kane Creek Canyon
Flat Iron Mesa
Steel Bender
Metal Masher
Top of the World
Strike Ravine

Still open to other trail suggestions!
I'd like my list to be at least 9 trails long....but if we don't do em all, so be it.
Hobojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
blizzboy15
1997 TJ Wrangler 

great looking schedule!! i went for the first time 2 wks ago and it was amazing!! we did fins and things, steel bender, poison spider, top of the world and hells revenge! it was awesome! fins and a things is a fairly easy trail and i would recommend it as a starter trail, a good way to break into moab!! steel bender was awesome, we ran it backwards, from what i have heard it is a little more difficult backwards! great trail, my favorite trail, it was full of obstacles the whole trail, from start to finish! it was great! i would also agree with tsejeepers, pritchett canyon is pretty extreme and probably more than anyone would want to chew off without lockers and 35's, you could maybe get by with 33's but locked front and rear. your call! hells revenge was great also, lots of good obstacles, most of the way!! poison spider was also lots of fun but it seemed like the obstacles were more spread out, do an obstacle, drive to the next one for a bit, do an obstacle, drive to the next one. it seemed like there was more downtime on poison spider. great looking plan, great looking schedule! have a great trip, be safe! if you have any more questions or want more info let me know! have fun!!
05 Rubi Unlimited, 3" BDS springs, Bilstein 5100's, PSC rocker knockers, Currie Correct-lync, ROKMEN armor package, ROKMEN control arms, JKS quick disco's, 1.25" JKS BL/MM, M8000 Warn w/synthetic rope, homemade cargo nets, front and rear tube fenders, 35" Kevlars!!! SOLD :( :(

75 CJ-5, rusty, old, wore-down! 304 V-8, time to rebuild!!! SOLD

97 WranglerJuggy 60/14b, 42" MTR-K, 104" WB
blizzboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
blizzboy15
1997 TJ Wrangler 

top of the world is the most spectacular views i have ever seen!! i would highly suggest this trail, i would not consider it too difficult of a trail, i didnt use lockers once. fairly straight forward, one or ledges and obstacles, nothing major. i would absolutely do this trail if you have time!!!! it's a little out of the way though, maybe 30 mins or so. great picture spot!!
05 Rubi Unlimited, 3" BDS springs, Bilstein 5100's, PSC rocker knockers, Currie Correct-lync, ROKMEN armor package, ROKMEN control arms, JKS quick disco's, 1.25" JKS BL/MM, M8000 Warn w/synthetic rope, homemade cargo nets, front and rear tube fenders, 35" Kevlars!!! SOLD :( :(

75 CJ-5, rusty, old, wore-down! 304 V-8, time to rebuild!!! SOLD

97 WranglerJuggy 60/14b, 42" MTR-K, 104" WB
blizzboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Moab rim is really not that hard of a trail. Alot of pucker factor, the veiw from the top is really awsome.
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey have fun! This is one of my most favorate places to wheel.
Moab Brewery has really good food and beer.
There is also a small winery in Moab if any of you like wine.
Stay away from Mcstiffs (sp) they are one of the buisnesses that are trying to close the trails down.
Unread 05-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
lonewolf210
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Hey have fun! This is one of my most favorate places to wheel.
Moab Brewery has really good food and beer.
There is also a small winery in Moab if any of you like wine.
Stay away from Mcstiffs (sp) they are one of the buisnesses that are trying to close the trails down.
Not to thread jack but why would a business want to shut down the trails don't the understand the revenue all the wheelers bring in?
Unread 05-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #13
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post
Not to thread jack but why would a business want to shut down the trails don't the understand the revenue all the wheelers bring in?
Read through the whole thing and make your own judgement.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342865
Unread 05-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
lonewolf210
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just came back from Moab for 3 days and it was awesome. Some info for you if you haven't gone yet:

1. From what you are lining up it looks like you want some challenge. As such I would skip the first loop of Fins & things. It's kinda cool but no real challenges. If you do have new people it is a good warm up.

2. Fins and things and Hell's revenge can be done in one day but it is long. We started around 9 or 9:30ish and ended around 6

3. we had a completely stock TJ with us and it was able to complete both trails with out much trouble although the end of Hell's was a little rough on it with a lot of bumper smashing happening. In fact I have front and rear lockers and didn't use them except for when I tried to do escalator on Hell's. (Which I was unfortunately not successful at but I am blaming the spotter ) Probably should have used them a couple other places but kept forgetting.

3. top of the world is totally worth the time

Unfortunately I sheared a lug bolt off my front passenger wheel driving back to the campsite the first day so I wasn't able to wheel the other two but I did Top of the World riding in my friends vehicle.

Bailing out of escalator you can see where my bumper hung up causing me to get stuck
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What a trip. Here's what we ended up doing:

Day 1:
Part of Fins n Things
All of Hells Revenge
All of Flat Iron Mesa

Day 2:
Poison Spider to the loop
All of Golden Spike
All of Gold Bar Rim

Day 3:
Kane Creek Canyon

Day 2 was full of carnage, The CJ7 rolled, The mystery TJ grenaded his D35, and then the CJ broke his driveline. It made for a looong day on trail, and I bent my tie rod getting out in the dark.

So Day 3, only 2 rigs opted to go out on trail...the rest of us were busy trying to repair the damage before driving home Day 4!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.