Minimum lift for 31in off roaders on 2002 WJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Minimum lift for 31in off roaders on 2002 WJ?

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 06-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
phoenixzro
2002 WJ 

Minimum lift for 31in off roaders on 2002 WJ?

Anyone know the clearance needed for 31in tires? Ive seen many similar posts but regarding different sizes and setups. On a budget and basically just want to replace my worn shocks and whatever else to fit these tires w/o rubbing issues. Any advice?

phoenixzro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Gregster45
1997 ZJ 

I have heard that putting 2" Budget Boost coil spacers all round with fit those with no rubbing. That's on my 97 ZJ though, but I'd assume it would work for you too!
Gregster45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
phoenixzro
2002 WJ 

Thanks! I did some more research and came to the same conclusion. I have a 2in Daystar BB enroute and four 245/70R17 GY Wrangler MT/Rs in the garage. Hopefully I'm good to go I know the Overland has the Up Country suspension which supposedly gives it an extra inch. I'm wondering if that's in the springs. If so, that means I'll actually have a 3in lift?
Unread 06-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
whosyadadie02

I always thought you need 4" for a good fit, 2" mite rub a bit
whosyadadie02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Gregster45
1997 ZJ 

Yeah like I said, 2" on a ZJ will fit, but the WJ with it would be fine too as they are similar in most ways. If your springs are 1" longer than yeah, you'd have 3" lift over the stock height, more than enough for that tire!
Gregster45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The UpCountry is a 3/4" lift over the standard suspension and is standard equipment on the 2002 Overland. Starting in 2003, it was a frequently (accidentally) deleted option and in 2004 it was eliminated altogether.

HOWEVER... WJ springs are known for sagging so you may not be at the original ride height... in fact some people are as low as 1.5" lower than stock after 10 years. Another contributing factor is the OEM spring isolators. In the WJ, they added rubber supports on both ends to reduce vibration and harshness from the solid axle suspension. They collapse. A lot. In my WJ, replacing them was good for an additional 3/4" of ride height. www.rockauto.com has very good pricing on them, as does Kolak (vendor here).

Usually we recommend spring lifts over the Budget Boost to eliminate the sagging OEM springs, improve ride/handling, and give better flex off-road. However, bang-for-the-buck is hard to beat with coil spacers.

Please feel free to join us over in the WJ Technical Forum.

Here's my epic post on the 2" spring lift. Even if you are just doing a BB, a lot of people have found this how-to very helpful.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...hread-1154164/
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
phoenixzro
2002 WJ 

Very interesting. And epic post indeed! Seriously considering the springs and isolators. Quick question though. Could you combine both a BB and spring/isolator replacement and what kind of results have you experienced or heard about this? Sorry if it's been answered already in your thread. Army has me working stupid hours so I'm getting kind of lazy.....
Unread 06-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
whosyadadie02

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixzro
Very interesting. And epic post indeed! Seriously considering the springs and isolators. Quick question though. Could you combine both a BB and spring/isolator replacement and what kind of results have you experienced or heard about this? Sorry if it's been answered already in your thread. Army has me working stupid hours so I'm getting kind of lazy.....
Yes when you install a BB you reuse the isolators, in your case you may just want to buy new isolators when you install the kit. A new set of isolators will make for a little smoother and quieter ride so it's highly recommended.
Unread 06-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixzro View Post
Sorry, for some reason my JF notifications weren't getting emailed over so I didn't get your question till today.

My final configuration with the 2" lift was to add the 2" springs, Bilstein shocks, new spring isolators all around, and 3/4" spacers up front. In the suspension, I added longer sway bar end links in the rear, Rough Country disconnects up front, and a JKS track bar and JKS tie rod. The 3/4" spacers made the WJ look more level (the rear fender flares are higher than the front). It also gave a little more height which is lost when I have my winch on the front (it's a multi-mount, can remove it when I want to).

You technically CAN mount 2" spacers on top of 2" springs but its not a very good idea. It's not as simple as just putting in the spacers and springs and calling it good. WJ lifts start getting more complex and expensive at 4". You need longer shocks, longer front control arms, rear a-arm spacer or new a-arm, longer sway bar end links front/rear, longer/adjustable track bar, driveshaft (on some WJs). If you really want a 4" lift, then sell/return your spacers and buy a mostly-complete kit which has most everything you need at a better price than piecing it together. A very popular 4" lift is the Zone Offroad kit, starts at $700, and has a lot of good reviews for ride/install. The cheaper kits are less complete and lower quality, in my opinion, good 4" lifts start around $700 and GREAT ones are $1000+.

Hope this helps.
Unread 06-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
phoenixzro
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1

Sorry, for some reason my JF notifications weren't getting emailed over so I didn't get your question till today.

My final configuration with the 2" lift was to add the 2" springs, Bilstein shocks, new spring isolators all around, and 3/4" spacers up front. In the suspension, I added longer sway bar end links in the rear, Rough Country disconnects up front, and a JKS track bar and JKS tie rod. The 3/4" spacers made the WJ look more level (the rear fender flares are higher than the front). It also gave a little more height which is lost when I have my winch on the front (it's a multi-mount, can remove it when I want to).

You technically CAN mount 2" spacers on top of 2" springs but its not a very good idea. It's not as simple as just putting in the spacers and springs and calling it good. WJ lifts start getting more complex and expensive at 4". You need longer shocks, longer front control arms, rear a-arm spacer or new a-arm, longer sway bar end links front/rear, longer/adjustable track bar, driveshaft (on some WJs). If you really want a 4" lift, then sell/return your spacers and buy a mostly-complete kit which has most everything you need at a better price than piecing it together. A very popular 4" lift is the Zone Offroad kit, starts at $700, and has a lot of good reviews for ride/install. The cheaper kits are less complete and lower quality, in my opinion, good 4" lifts start around $700 and GREAT ones are $1000+.

Hope this helps.
This helps greatly. You seem to know your stuff. What would you say are absolute necessities and why if doing the 2in spring lift (Sway bar end links, disconnects up front, track bars and tie rods and 3/4" spacers?) I'm looking to keep my 2in lift simple and affordable since I don't do serious off roading. Just the occasional beach bugging and traveling off the normal hike trails. I also want to level it out and be able to fit my MTRs under. Plan to do it with a friend and keep it under $500 if possible.
Unread 06-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Necessities at a 2" lift... if you are still using those Daystar pucks, put some good 2" lift shocks on there and that's all you NEED. I would recommend putting in longer rear sway bar end links though, it really helps out the ride because the rear sway bar sits at a really bad angle at 2" lift. It binds up on bumpy turns and gives you the head-toss-side-to-side rocking that is really uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, no one seems to sell a 2" longer end link. I had someone lengthen the stock ones, just cut and weld in a sleeve to make them 2" longer. Helped immensely. All the other stuff is nice, but isn't NEEDED at 2" lift.
Unread 06-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
phoenixzro
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
Necessities at a 2" lift... if you are still using those Daystar pucks, put some good 2" lift shocks on there and that's all you NEED. I would recommend putting in longer rear sway bar end links though, it really helps out the ride because the rear sway bar sits at a really bad angle at 2" lift.
So same answer if going to the spring lift instead of spacers? Think I'm switching.
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
98ZJCustom

My frien has 31" pro comps on his 97 ZJ no lift nothing. All he had to do was trim his front bumper. I'd assume that it would work on the WJ too? It looks good might I add. As long as you don't mind tucking tires!!
98ZJCustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

WJs are not the same as ZJs. Vaguely similar, but different everywhere you look. Even a 30" tire can rub on a stock WJ. Not all do, but it does happen.

With a spring lift, DEFINITELY replace the spring isolators. There's no sense in installing a lift on top of broken stock parts.
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #15
whosyadadie02

I have a 2" BB on my wj and my 31s still rub a bit at a full turn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.