Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 94 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #1396
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

All,

Sorry to interrupt, but, I have a question. Someone along the way showed latches that adjust on a thread. I know there's lots, so see the picture. Anyway, they use them to secure a fuel tank to the trailer and I can't find the thread it is on. Doe s anyone know where that post is and if it is on this thread. If it is, I'll look more thoroughly. Thanks.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...pse1535fef.jpg

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #1397
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So we got the box bolted to the frame. It took 35 bolts (one inch long 5/16" stainless steel button head bolts). We used another 12 (six on each end) same-sized bolts through the upright portion of the angle iron (second picture).

What's interesting, is the box is built such that all four sides fold under to the floor only about 3/4", forming a lip. A large sheet of non-diamond plate aluminum is then laid down on top of this lip and welded in place (and sealed with silicone). Which is fine I guess, but what happens is there's a gap between the trailer frame (which is 2" wide at the top) and the bottom of the floor of the trailer. So most of the holes were bolting through the flooring and not the diamond plate. Some of the holes when through the edge of the diamond plate where it ended and the floor began. So we put washers between the floor and the frame before bolting it down (the diamond plate lip was resting on the frame). On the center crossmember we put a piece of steel 1/4" thick to fill the gap.

So when you think about it, the box was bolted down by the flooring only, and not through the diamond plate lip. Part of my plan to fix that was to put 2" angle iron 1/8" thick front and rear (to fill in the gaps), and not only have holes drilled through the angle where it sat on the frame, but also in the upright portion so it attached to the diamond plate front and end pieces. I hope the pictures help.

We also took the rubber mat that used to be on the floor of the trailer when it was a wooden box, and put it in the new box after drilling holes so the rubber mat would go over the bolt heads (the mat's not bolted to the floor). You can see how much extra space the new box has.

Next up: mounting the spare tire and gas cans.
trailer-box-bolted-down-008.jpg   trailer-box-bolted-down-009.jpg   trailer-box-bolted-down-011.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #1398
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looking awesome. Coming together nicely.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 04-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #1399
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
looking awesome. Coming together nice.
x2
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #1400
R3dRid3r
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Looking awesome. Coming together nice.
x3
Unread 04-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #1401
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks all. I'm enjoying this next phase of my trailer build.

Some pictures of our progress today. We mounted up the spare tire carrier on the back panel. I still need to take it back apart to paint the thin channel used to reinforce the panel the spare tire mount is on, and I'll use shorter bolts for the final fitment along with locking nuts (those are my set-up bolts to make sure things fit). But the channel really makes that panel stiffer. We'll do the same when we mount the 4 gallon Kolpin fuel pack on the front panel.

If you're going to mount something heavy on one of these diamond plate aluminum boxes you need to do some sort of reinforcement to help support it. I'm using 2" wide 1/8" thick what I call "shallow channel" from Home Depot. It's the same thing I used for some of the tongue and frame reinforcements when I lengthened the tongue a page-or-so back.

We had to cut about an inch and a quarter off the bottom of the spare tire carrier so it would clear the angle iron. I could have flipped the spare tire carrier, but I was wanting to mount it as low on the panel as possible.
trailer-spare-tire-carrier-001.jpg   trailer-spare-tire-carrier-002.jpg   trailer-spare-tire-carrier-003.jpg   trailer-spare-tire-carrier-004.jpg   trailer-spare-tire-carrier-005.jpg  

trailer-spare-tire-carrier-006.jpg   trailer-spare-tire-carrier-007.jpg   trailer-spare-tire-carrier-008.jpg  
Unread 04-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #1402
Java230

Looks great! But damn there are a lot of bolts on that trailer!
Java230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #1403
Java230

Quote:
All,

Sorry to interrupt, but, I have a question. Someone along the way showed latches that adjust on a thread. I know there's lots, so see the picture. Anyway, they use them to secure a fuel tank to the trailer and I can't find the thread it is on. Doe s anyone know where that post is and if it is on this thread. If it is, I'll look more thoroughly. Thanks.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...pse1535fef.jpg
Mcmaster carr carries those.
Unread 04-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #1404
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java230 View Post
Mcmaster carr carries those.
Thanks. I'll look for them.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 04-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #1405
Java230

Quote:
Thanks. I'll look for them.
here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-draw-latches/=rg6552
Unread 04-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #1406
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

OK, I've got a trip to arid-zona Thursday and I'm not going with the HF springs (clapper springs) so I'm going in. I'm putting on the springs now. Will have them on tonight. Yeah. Soft, soft ride here I come.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 04-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #1407
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java230 View Post
Looks great! But damn there are a lot of bolts on that trailer!
And I keep adding more!

Add 8 each on each side for the Kolpin fuel packs. And I haven't even started mounting the front Kolpin fuel pack (that'll be another 16 bolts).

Add another 11 on each side for the diamond plate aluminum fenders that just came in today (they are going to look GOOD on the trailer). Gotta paint them black first before mounting them though. It's silver diamond plate overkill if I don't paint them.

Lowe's is loving me for buying all the nuts/bolts/washers I've been getting recently. I've been buying stuff in bulk practically.
Unread 04-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #1408
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OK, I've got a trip to arid-zona Thursday and I'm not going with the HF springs (clapper springs) so I'm going in. I'm putting on the springs now. Will have them on tonight. Yeah. Soft, soft ride here I come.
How's the install going? I'm looking forward to a write-up with pictures (and your impression of the springs after your trip).
Unread 04-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #1409
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The new trailer is looking Great! Do you have a link or where did you get the bolt on d-rings on the back? Keep up the good work.

trailer build. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/a...build-1558519/
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #1410
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
How's the install going? I'm looking forward to a write-up with pictures (and your impression of the springs after your trip).
Things never go just as planned, or at least not as fast. Due to my having welded on the previous spring brackets, it took a little bit more time to get the old springs off. But, it is all ready to weld/bolt on the new brackets this afternoon and take it out for a test ride. I'm going to attach them both ways as the steel on the brackets is pretty thick (3/16?) which is at the limits of my Hobart 135. So as to not be driving down the road and have the welds give way from stress, I'll back them up with a bolt each. Peace of mind as they say. But I want to still weld them on as well. Shouldn't take long to weld. Drilling the holes will take the longest time. I'll post up some pics and thoughts over on my build thread and here when I get the chance.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.