Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #121
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice. Looks great.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #122
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi bobdog - what's new with your little trailer build?

Ok, I went to Lowe's and picked up a couple of brackets (I think for trussing or fencing) to use to support the little gas cans I put on the sides of my trailer. I think it came out well; drilled a couple of holes, painted the brackets black, and bolted them up. I didn't want the full weight of the gas cans when full to be fully supported by the lumber slats. The pictures should tell the story. Let me know if you have any questions on this or any other mods I've done to this trailer.
trailer-gas-can-brackets-001.jpg   trailer-gas-can-brackets-003.jpg   trailer-gas-can-brackets-004.jpg   trailer-gas-can-brackets-005.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #123
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just posted a few new pics on build page. I decided to go with a steel floor and so went and picked up some 16 gauge. They didn't have 14 or I would've gotten it, I think it'll be fine for this small of a trailer. Got it welded down and from underneath as well. And I got the first 4 uprights welded on as well. Been out on the road for weeks plus being too hot to weld, I hadn't got much done the last few months. But, I'm back at it. Next is the tongue and groove siding then the top. Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...-sort-1209834/

BTW - I like the brackets.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 10-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #124
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The company I ordered the fuel cans from asked if he could use a picture of my trailer with the cans attached for his website. So I finally got a day that wasn't raining (and when I wasn't at work) so I shot a few pictures. Anyways, I'm pleased with how they came out.

After looking at the pictures, I went out to my Jeep(s) and trailer with a tape measure and took some quick measurements.

On the TJ (Avatar picture at left) with 285/75/16" tires (which actually measured out at 32" tall with the weight of the Jeep on them) and with a Dana 44 in the rear, I have a clearance of 9.5" under the pumpkin.

On the Willys pictures below with slightly worn 31x10.5x15" tires (which actually measured out to 29" with the weight of the Jeep on them) and with a Dana 44 in the rear, I have a clearance of 8.5" under the pumpkin.

On the trailer with 205/75/15" tires (which measured out 27" with what little empty weight of the trailer might affect) I have 12.5" clearance under the square tubed axle.
pumpkin-jeep-trailer-321.1jpg.jpg   pumpkin-jeep-trailer-322.1jpg.jpg   pumpkin-jeep-trailer-319.1jpg.jpg   pumpkin-jeep-trailer-320.1jpg.jpg   pumpkin-jeep-trailer-325.1jpg.jpg  

Unread 10-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #125
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice pictures. Sure like the looks of the gas cans and how you mounted them. Also love the Willy's. Great looking Jeep.

I was wondering if you could tell me how tall your trailer basket/box is from the floor of the trailer to the top of the top slat? I'm trying to decide how tall to make my box and though it partially depends on the tongue and groove sides, I can either add one layer or split one layer narrower. I'm going to go p/u the t&g tomorrow and I believe they are 1x5's. So it'll probably be somewhere around 20" tall. Thanks.

Tim

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #126
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
Nice pictures. Sure like the looks of the gas cans and how you mounted them. Also love the Willy's. Great looking Jeep.

I was wondering if you could tell me how tall your trailer basket/box is from the floor of the trailer to the top of the top slat? I'm trying to decide how tall to make my box and though it partially depends on the tongue and groove sides, I can either add one layer or split one layer narrower. I'm going to go p/u the t&g tomorrow and I believe they are 1x5's. So it'll probably be somewhere around 20" tall. Thanks.

Tim
Thanks for the compliments. I've had the Willys for over 20 years. I've done a lot with it, and I'll probably never get rid of it; it's like a member of the family.

To answer your question, from the floor of the trailer to the top of the top slat is 22 inches (I just went out with a tapemeasure to check). I made it a little tall to make up for the small(er) footprint compared to a trailer like a military M-416 (which I think is like 18 -19 inches tall).
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #127
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. That makes me fell better about mine being around that height as well. Knowing how much you have put into the trailer (I saw the pics from the Moab trip) makes me think that it'll will definitely hold what I need. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Isn't this trailer building fun? I'm loving it now that I'm back on it.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Thanks for the compliments. I've had the Willys for over 20 years. I've done a lot with it, and I'll probably never get rid of it; it's like a member of the family.

To answer your question, from the floor of the trailer to the top of the top slat is 22 inches (I just went out with a tapemeasure to check). I made it a little tall to make up for the small(er) footprint compared to a trailer like a military M-416 (which I think is like 18 -19 inches tall).

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #128
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, these little trailers hold a lot more than you think, and it's definitely been a fun little project.

If you look at the second picture on post #124 above, you'll see on the back of the Willys I have mounted a little 2.5 gallon Jerry can. I toyed with the idea of mounting two of those on the trailer (one on each side) instead of the Kolpin cans (hence the zip ties holding the can on - see pictures below). It would have been easy enough to do (and would have fit just fine); I was just trying to keep with the cheap and light weight theme so I went with the Kolpin. Plus they matched the rear fuel cell. Both Kolpin cans and mounts came to about $80 if I remember right; to do two little 2.5 gallon Jerry cans and red gas can holders would have been a little bit more than that just for one side (probably closer to $200 once you factored in shipping). Or you could mount one of these little Jerry cans on one side, and a large ammo can on the other if you didn't want to mount an ammo can on the trailer tongue.

http://www.offroadtrailtools.com/sho...t_detail&p=390

Try this link if the one above is sold out:

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/product...oducts_id=1967

If I had decided to do the little Jerry can route, I would have done it very similar to how I did the Kolpin cans, in that I would have put a sheet of tin between the boards, and put additional boards on either side of the vertical board (and one behind them). But instead of the round Kolpin mount I would have mounted a red Jerry can mount. And I still would have put the additional bracket under the red Jerry can mount that bolts to the frame (for additional support).

Anyways, I'm just tossing this out in case someone was interested in doing some thing like that - just trying to put out some ideas and options.
pumpkin-jeep-trailer-283.1jpg.jpg   pumpkin-jeep-trailer-284.1jpg.jpg   pumpkin-jeep-trailer-286.1jpg.jpg  
Unread 10-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #129
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

great lookin trailers guys makes me wanna sell mine and build a smaller one
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #130
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I know I called this thread the Mini Harbor Freight-Type Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread, but I may have to change the title to Almost-Ultimate Build-Up Thread. Check this out if you haven't already (from post #118):

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bo...r-kit-1274811/

As much as I've enjoyed my little trailer build (I'm keeping it), I have to put a plug in for this build. It gets interesting on page 6 post #86 where he takes a 4x8' Harbor Freight HD trailer and shortens it. And then later he narrows the frame a bit so the axle that comes with it now has clearance for much larger (and wider) tires (same affect as putting a wider axle on a little trailer frame like mine).

I started doing the math in my head for what I paid for my trailer (frame and axles & tires), and then buying the wider axle, and compared it to what jscherb has in his frame and axle & tires - I'm thinking he might have me beat (or close to it). So check out jscherb's thread (it's long, but a good read) and see if you might be interested in something like that if you're looking for a mini trailer. Focus on what he's done with the 4x8' frame; it's pure genius.

It's just another option; I still like how mine came out, and I'd like to think my little trailer project might have had a little bit of influence in getting jsherb thinking about doing his little trailer project.

You can still put a plywood floor and stake sides like I did on mine but use his frame set-up.
Unread 12-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #131
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Armyrn,

What size hole saw did you use to counter sink your nuts and washers on the inside of your cage? And what size carriage bolts did you use? I'm thinking of doing the same to mine.

Tim

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #132
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
Armyrn,

What size hole saw did you use to counter sink your nuts and washers on the inside of your cage? And what size carriage bolts did you use? I'm thinking of doing the same to mine.

Tim
I think it was a 7/8" wood bit I used to countersink the holes, and the carriage bolts are 1/4" bolts.
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #133
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I came across this the other day, and thought it was interesting. I have no idea how accurate the info is related to the trailer. I've just never seen these before.

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=1963

Like all gear the Swiss Army musters out of service, is checked, reconditioned if necessary, and fully functional. In the case of these gorgeous trailers, we wonder if they were ever in use! Built entirely of heavy gauge steel by Langenthal AG 1973-1975 (see constructor plate), they show no sign of wear or any rust. Even the eye of the hitch still has the original paint on ‘em! Even the rubber shows no wear. These units have a load capacity of 500 kg (1100 lbs). Torsion-bar suspension! The empty weight is a hefty 250 kg (550 lbs). Straight sided boxes measuring 105cm x 197cm (41.34” x 77.56”), with a full width tailgate. These fabulous units have jack-stands, to hold it level when unhitched. Pintle hitch with shock-spring. Even has another hitch on the rear, for pulling multiple units. Note: there are no lights, only reflectors, so if you wanted to use ‘em on the roads, you’d need to wire ‘em. Perfect for jeeping. Strong as hell, but light enough for even a Suzuki Samurai to handle. The overall measurements: 147cm wide x 332cm long (58” x 131”) We have only 9 trailers!
swiss-trailer.jpg  
Unread 02-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #134
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hitch mount options:

The trailer (in avatar picture) came with a 1&7/8" ball coupler, and that's what I've been using. But I plan on taking the trailer to Alaska this summer, and wanted to make the trailer more off-road worthy. I wanted to have more flexibility where the trailer connected to the Jeep; be able to handle greater angles, etc. Right now I'm looking at the Max Coupler, or I could put a lunette ring on the front of the trailer to work with a pintle hitch (already got the pintle hitch and receiver mount for it). But either way, I need a way to mount these to the front of the trailer. I figured my best option was to mount a 2" receiver to the trailer tongue. So I bought a 12" long 2" receiver tube from Harbor Freight, and went to my local welding shop and got an 8" long piece of square tubing that was just large enough to slide over the trailer's tongue. Then we took a strip of metal off the side of the square tubing where it is welded together, cut 45 degree anges on the square tubing (and receiver tubing), drilled holes to where it would mount to the trailer tongue, then welded it together. Hopefully the pictures fill in any blanks you might have. All I have left to do is clean it up and paint it before mounting it on for good.

http://www.sierra4x4trailers.com/s4x4t-max-coupler/ (bottom picture - if link breaks try googling max coupler)
http://www.easternmarine.com/forged-receiver-mounted-tow-eye-rm1225e (if link breaks try googling it)
trailer-hitch-mods-003.jpg   trailer-hitch-mods-007-copy.jpg   trailer-hitch-mods-008-copy.jpg   trailer-hitch-mods-009-copy.jpg   max-coupler.jpg  

Unread 02-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #135
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Nice work on this trailer - very clever design!

Is the Willys also yours?

Do you have a link for a build thread and/or more pics of it?

Thanks!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.