Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #106
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jscherb: That's just some awesome CAD design! I've seen some of your work on the forum and in the mags! Sooo...your "Jeep" tub would Just bolt to the harbor freight frame!? If you plan on producing it?

KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #107
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLT88YJ View Post
Jscherb: That's just some awesome CAD design! I've seen some of your work on the forum and in the mags! Sooo...your "Jeep" tub would Just bolt to the harbor freight frame!? If you plan on producing it?
Yes, it would bolt to the HF frame. I'm in the process of making the molds right now; they'll be capable of making any length Jeep-style trailer tub up to 8' 7" long, so you could make one for the mini HF trailer or the 4x8 HF trailer or anything in between. I'll probably start a thread on the project soon so everyone can see the details as it progresses.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #108
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That'd be cool to have a lid on it to keep your gear dry. But I assume that a taught bungied down tarp would provide the same affect!

I'd be building one of these "behemoths" in my shed (14x18) as I don't have a garage. Is the finished product fairly heavy? I have roughly a 1.5-2 foot drop/ difference from the shed to the ground. I'd also need to check my door widths (2 folding doors) they're approximately 2.5-3 feet wide, should be more than adequate.

It comes with the title/information too right...? So you'd just be going for inspection then to the MVA for tags n such!?

ArmyRN: Do you have any current/ update photos!? Driveway, loaded/ unloaded, action shots...ect!!??
You will probably need two people to get the trailer over the drop. Not that it's so heavy (it's not a lightweight though) but it is awkward and bulky. But totally doable with two healthy dudes.

My trailer came with paperwork that I just brought to the tag place (just the paperwork - I didn't bring the trailer) and they sold me a tag. They actually gave me the option of a regular sized tag, or a smaller tag. I went with the smaller tag, and was glad I did.

No new pictures. I mounted an ammo can on the tongue for the spare hub and bearing set, but I was going to wait until the two 1.5 gallon Kolpin fuel tanks came in (that'll match the rear 4 gallon fuel can on the rear) and got them mounted one each on the sides in front of the fenders before taking pictures. Right now the trailer is parked in the garage being used as the "empty cardboard box storage unit". I was going to take a picture of it connected to my 46 Willys after mounting the ammo can, but the receiver hitch was just a little too long for the pin hole to line up on the Willys' receiver (thanks for reminding me - I need to get it trimmed).

Edit...

Ok, I went out in the garage and took a few. As you can see, the trailer pulls double duty when parked in the garage (box storage unit). The ammo can had to be mounted a little more forward than I wanted, but I had to place it there in order to be able to have room to remove the spare tire. The ammo can also is low enough so when the tailgate swings out it goes over the ammo can (and it just barely misses hitting the trailer's spare tire when swinging out). The last picture is just of my other garage toys.
pumpkin-ava-trailer-ammo-can-0031.jpg   pumpkin-ava-trailer-ammo-can-0041.jpg   pumpkin-ava-trailer-ammo-can-0051.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 03:39 AM   #109
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pics. I really think this little trailer is what I'm looking for, gets the gear outta the Jeep = more room for the wife, kid and dog!!

That's a nice looking 2A! Is that a 3A or M38 windshield? Either way its stronger than the 2A. I had a 47 2A that I had been working on, just got to be too much (no garage and a small child).
KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #110
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

armyRN-

How did you attach the ammo can?

Also, would it have worked to turn it 90 degrees, along the same axis or would that have caused a conflict somewhere?

Love this concept and will probably implement it but need to get a jeep first

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #111
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. I really think this little trailer is what I'm looking for, gets the gear outta the Jeep = more room for the wife, kid and dog!!

That's a nice looking 2A! Is that a 3A or M38 windshield? Either way its stronger than the 2A. I had a 47 2A that I had been working on, just got to be too much (no garage and a small child).
It's a 3A (I think - it was on the Jeep when I bought it) windshield frame. It just had a cover plate over the center opening under the windshield. Definitely stronger than a 2A windshield frame.
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #112
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
armyRN-

How did you attach the ammo can?

Also, would it have worked to turn it 90 degrees, along the same axis or would that have caused a conflict somewhere?

Love this concept and will probably implement it but need to get a jeep first

John
Where the two angled braces come together on the tongue to form the tip of the triangle, there are two carriage bolts side-by-side (one for each brace). I replaced them with bolts and large washers, and drilled two holes in the ammo can floor for these bolts to go through. I also drilled two holes under the other side of the ammo can (one through each of the angled braces) to secure it there also with two smaller bolts/washers. I used nylocks so the bolts wouldn't shake loose. So it is secured in four places - it's not going anywhere.

I didn't think of mounting it 90 degrees (along the length of the tongue) but it would have worked. The ammo can base is 11" long. It would not have caused any interference as far as I can tell (I was out there with a tape measure before typing this). My tailgate swings above the ammo can, so that's not an issue.

One thing to remember, is the "Red" trailer's tongue is about 10" shorter than the "Black" (like mine) trailer's tongue. If you're mounting a spare tire carrier like I did on the front of a red trailer, you might not have enough room to mount an ammo can lengthwise. But ammo cans are light - you could mount them on the wooden sides behind the fender if you wanted.

Here's where I ordered the ammo can:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/1-usgi-50cal-ammo-can-new/cName/ammo-cans?osCsid=2k439ot4njhmkpupi225802jj4

You'd think living in an Army town you would be able to find them easily. I found some at my local Army Surplus Store, but they looked like crap. Rusty, poorly repainted, etc. They looked like they had spent a lot of time outside. I didn't want to put an ugly can on my nice looking trailer, so I ordered one of these new ones - and glad I did. With shipping it came to about $25.00.

I seriously considered one of these:

http://store.colemans.com/cart/ammo-box-wwii-50-cal-p-221.html

But after seeing what the used cans at my local surplus store looked like, I was hesitant to purchase one of these sight unseen (I felt safe ordering the new one as above). But having a vintage can might have looked cool (of course, I might have been the only one that ever noticed, but still...).
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #113
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Where the two angled braces come together on the tongue to form the tip of the triangle, there are two carriage bolts side-by-side (one for each brace). I replaced them with bolts and large washers, and drilled two holes in the ammo can floor for these bolts to go through. I also drilled two holes under the other side of the ammo can (one through each of the angled braces) to secure it there also with two smaller bolts/washers. I used nylocks so the bolts wouldn't shake loose. So it is secured in four places - it's not going anywhere.

I didn't think of mounting it 90 degrees (along the length of the tongue) but it would have worked. The ammo can base is 11" long. It would not have caused any interference as far as I can tell (I was out there with a tape measure before typing this). My tailgate swings above the ammo can, so that's not an issue.

One thing to remember, is the "Red" trailer's tongue is about 10" shorter than the "Black" (like mine) trailer's tongue. If you're mounting a spare tire carrier like I did on the front, you might not have enough room to mount an ammo can lengthwise. But ammo cans are light - you could mount them on the wooden sides behind the fender if you wanted.
Excellent, thanks

Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #114
padre1964

So many cool designs, thanks for all the different ideas !
padre1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #115
95tealxj

Thanks for the ideas, going to build one.
95tealxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #116
eyeJeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

Here are pics of my HF trailer. I just got all of the sides on today, I hadn't touched in a few months since it has been so dad gum hot here in Texas. I do have a replacement axle in the garage with a 5 lug bolt pattern that needs to be fitted and the wheels in tires to match the Jeep. Of course it will need fender flares to cover the tires too.

Mock up with the original trailer and my spare.
'48 Willy's CJ2A

Last edited by eyeJeep; 08-02-2012 at 09:05 AM..
eyeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #117
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a trailer rebuild write-up I found in a recent thread that might give folks some ideas. If I had to do mine over again, I might consider doing the sides in tongue-and-groove lumber. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/o...oject-1156514/
Unread 10-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #118
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've started a new thread on the fiberglass trailer tub project - the thread is called "Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit". The project is to build a bolt-together tub kit that could be used with these Harbor Freight or similar trailer frames.

Here's the link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bo...r-kit-1274811/

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #119
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I mounted some small gas cans on either side of my Jeep. I put a thin steel plate between the lumber slats to reinforce it.
cat-trailer-cans-avon-jeep-015.jpg   cat-trailer-cans-avon-jeep-016.jpg   cat-trailer-cans-avon-jeep-024.jpg   cat-trailer-cans-avon-jeep-023.jpg   cat-trailer-cans-avon-jeep-019.jpg  

Unread 10-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #120
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

A couple more shots. Sorry they're garage shots.
cat-trailer-cans-avon-jeep-017.jpg   cat-trailer-cans-avon-jeep-020.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.