Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 77 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*WJ Tube Doors Now Available!

Unread 02-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #1141
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronicbass View Post
Made more progress yesterday. My measurements were off the first time, so I was not 2" inches forward of the center line with the axle placement, but 2" inches back. I got the frame out together with the shorter side pieces and the axle mounted. Next chance I get is to grease the bearings and install the wheels. Also need to finish reinforcing with the extra pieces according to Jscherb.
looking good, can't wait to see it finished.

if you are going to changed out the springs, I would look at Dinoot Springs and mounting hardware. After my looking, they have a great setup, if the spring rate is good for your needs

Unread 02-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #1142
schaney

kronicbass, here is a variation to Jeff's approach if you are not planning on a rear receiver and using the stock coupler. Note: this one has been narrowed to 40.5"

Thanks coops2K
schaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #1143
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

And it looks like you've got your Dinoot long leaf-spring set-up on the second picture. So did you follow the 60/40 rule placing the axle? It's hard to tell from the picture.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #1144
kronicbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaney
kronicbass, here is a variation to Jeff's approach if you are not planning on a rear receiver and using the stock coupler. Note: this one has been narrowed to 40.5" Thanks coops2K
Looks good. I'm going with the rear receiver. I'm keeping my trailer at 48"
kronicbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #1145
schaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
And it looks like you've got your Dinoot long leaf-spring set-up on the second picture. So did you follow the 60/40 rule placing the axle? It's hard to tell from the picture.
Yep, that one has a spring retrofir kit on it, here is a shoot with the tire off. Actually with this one I used the standard M416 50/50 axle placement.

Unread 02-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #1146
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I thought the trailer axle on the M416 was ever so slightly to the rear of the trailer box midline.
trailer-specs-copy-2-.png

Unread 02-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #1147
schaney

Quote:
I thought the trailer axle on the M416 was ever so slightly to the rear of the trailer box midline.
You're correct they are about an 1" behind the center line.
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #1148
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm going to jump in here because I think there's potential for confusion in the questions/answers recently posted. The common rule of thumb about trailer loading is that there should be a 60/40 split of the overall weight of the trailer + load that places 60% of the total weight (trailer plus load) ahead of the axle.

The original M416 design places the axle very close to the center of the tub, and if you put weight evenly in the tub (let's say you split 100 lbs. of load evenly between the front and back of the tub), the result will still be slightly biased in favor of the tongue because of the weight of the tongue, even though the axle is an inch or so behind the center of the tub.

If you use the tongue for cargo, as shown in the photo of my Dinoot m-series prototype below, you can achieve well over 60/40 weight bias with an axle that's centered under the tub, even without any cargo in the tub. In the photo below, I've got two jerry cans plus mounts (full weight about 40 lbs each), a cargo box (weight of box = negligible), but say I put 50-lbs. of gear in there, then add in the weight of the tongue/coupler/jack, etc. and you've got maybe 175-200 lbs. ahead of the axle that isn't matched behind the axle.

So depending on how you plan to use/load your trailer and what gear you plan to carry on the tongue, a 50/50 placement of the axle under the tub is very appropriate.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #1149
schaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
I'm going to jump in here because I think there's potential for confusion in the questions/answers recently posted. The common rule of thumb about trailer loading is that there should be a 60/40 split of the overall weight of the trailer + load that places 60% of the total weight (trailer plus load) ahead of the axle.
Thanks Jeff, was just sitting back thinking should clarity the weight split related to having a tongue rack. Assuming a 72" bed and 20" rack on the tongue, I would use 92" verses 72". So that puts you at all most 60/40
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:43 AM   #1150
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post

The original M416 design places the axle very close to the center of the tub, and if you put weight evenly in the tub (let's say you split 100 lbs. of load evenly between the front and back of the tub), the result will still be slightly biased in favor of the tongue because of the weight of the tongue, even though the axle is an inch or so behind the center of the tub.

If you use the tongue for cargo, as shown in the photo of my Dinoot m-series prototype below, you can achieve well over 60/40 weight bias with an axle that's centered under the tub, even without any cargo in the tub. In the photo below, I've got two jerry cans plus mounts (full weight about 40 lbs each), a cargo box (weight of box = negligible), but say I put 50-lbs. of gear in there, then add in the weight of the tongue/coupler/jack, etc. and you've got maybe 175-200 lbs. ahead of the axle that isn't matched behind the axle.

So depending on how you plan to use/load your trailer and what gear you plan to carry on the tongue, a 50/50 placement of the axle under the tub is very appropriate.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying it for us jscherb. We're still learning stuff here - this is awesome.
Unread 02-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #1151
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I came across this on the Expedition Portal: http://www.morrismuletexas.com/

If you cruise around the website it might give you some ideas you can incorporate into your little 4' trailers. They go into a little bit of depth with canoe/kayak racks which I thought was interesting. There are a lot of companies out there selling little Jeep-type trailers. And if you've got the money - go for it! But there's something satisfying about making your own little adventure trailer and saving a ton of cash.
morris-mule-trailer.jpg

Unread 02-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #1152
pentaflex

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I came across this on the Expedition Portal: http://www.morrismuletexas.com/

If you cruise around the website it might give you some ideas you can incorporate into your little 4' trailers. They go into a little bit of depth with canoe/kayak racks which I thought was interesting. There are a lot of companies out there selling little Jeep-type trailers. And if you've got the money - go for it! But there's something satisfying about making your own little adventure trailer and saving a ton of cash.
That torsion bar axle they offer is interesting. I wonder how smooth that would ride off road?

Looks like maybe $250 or so (without hubs). A bit pricy compared to a simpler leaf set up.
pentaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #1153
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaflex View Post
That torsion bar axle they offer is interesting. I wonder how smooth that would ride off road?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzVVqXxbGSA

Looks like maybe $250 or so (without hubs). A bit pricy compared to a simpler leaf set up.
Cool video. I'll bet if you matched the load rating correctly it would ride real nice.

But with our little HF trailers (little 4' or 4x8' modified) if you're building them to pull behind a Jeep, I don't know how much height you can get with the set-up (even with the 45 degree angle set-up) to clear even 205/75/15" tires under the fenders.

Maybe if you bolted the mounting brackets to the underside of the frame? I still don't know if you can get the same height (even with their 45 degree model) as you can with a simple spring and shackle system. Maybe this will help explain what I'm thinking:

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...0-1100_Lbs.pdf
Unread 02-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #1154
kronicbass

Moving along...I made a bit more progress today. The frame is pretty much put together and the wheels are on. I added the center backbone, but I haven't extended it all the way yet. I want to hook it up to my truck first and see how it tracks with the stock tongue length and the 90 degree test. If it's fine the way it is, I'm going to just stay with the stock coupler.

kronicbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #1155
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronicbass View Post
Moving along...I made a bit more progress today. The frame is pretty much put together and the wheels are on. I added the center backbone, but I haven't extended it all the way yet. I want to hook it up to my truck first and see how it tracks with the stock tongue length and the 90 degree test. If it's fine the way it is, I'm going to just stay with the stock coupler.

Looking good; I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish it out with the box.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.