Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 61 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #901
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
Thanks for the clarification. It must be eyes as they age.

The Jeep run sounds like a blast, esp. with the Willys. We will all want to see pics of course, and by the looks of it, this thread should be going strong even then.
Thanks. I'll start a new thread for the Classic Jeep run like I did for my last Alaska trip.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f312/...nture-1371427/

And yeah; I think we hit gold with this trailer thread - Jeeps and trailers just go together (since the early 1940's). It's been fun watching it go along and seeing what folks come up with. There are lots of really nice expedition type trailers out there for sale, but they are quite expensive (can't afford them on a Jeep budget) and they're heavy, but these little 4' trailers are easy to build, easy to modify, easy to pull behind a Jeep (even our four cylinder TJ's) and they do quite well on and off road. I hope to see more builds on this thread, or links to other folks' builds.

And there's no way we could have taken all the stuff we wanted to to Alaska without the trailer. It made the trip enjoyable being able to take the stuff to keep you comfortable. Camping and roughing it are not the same thing.

I can't wait to get back.

camping-haines.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #902
BSC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Two weeks I really putting the trailer to the test, doing deer season out of the trailer this year can't wait
BSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #903
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSC View Post
Two weeks I really putting the trailer to the test, doing deer season out of the trailer this year can't wait
Definitely need some action photos with the trailer!
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #904
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSC View Post
Pictures Please!!!!!

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #905
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Thanks. I'll start a new thread for the Classic Jeep run like I did for my last Alaska trip.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f312/...nture-1371427/

I can't wait to get back.
I bet. One thing I noticed about your micro-trailer in the back ground is that is is caked with dirt and mud. And it still held strong. I love it. What a blast you must've had. One of these days I'll make it to the 50th Sate.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #906
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I bet. One thing I noticed about your micro-trailer in the back ground is that is is caked with dirt and mud. And it still held strong. I love it. What a blast you must've had. One of these days I'll make it to the 50th Sate.
Oh yeah. The Jeep went through a car wash a couple of times during the course of the trip because it was filthy and you couldn't see out the windows from all the mud and gravel roads. But the trailer didn't get hosed off at a car wash until the morning we were going to get on the ferry for the trip home. I would take a wet-wipe and clean off the lenses on the Jeep and trailer for safety as needed (so anyone behind us could see our brake lights). We were gone for three weeks, and the trailer never skipped a beat. It pulled like it wasn't there, and we never had any maneuverability issues because of the trailer. We would set up camp and leave it at the campground while we took the Jeep to explore town, go to museums, etc.

We learned a lot about that trailer from our Alaska trip. One of the main things we learned about this trailer was was don't embark on a trip like this without one! I know I'm repeating myself, but the purpose of a trailer is to haul stuff, and in this case it was to haul camping gear and the little extras to make camping comfortable. We had cots instead of sleeping on the ground, a good sized tent, plenty of cooking gear (to include an oven/stove combo thing), and plenty of food and water and propane cylinders. I can't think of anything we had to leave behind. The Jeep had the rear seat out, and all that space was filled up with luggage/sleeping bags/coats/shotgun/tools/CO2 tank, and anything else we didn't want to risk getting wet. There was no room left inside the Jeep for the tent/cots/camping chairs/food and cookware/etc. I guess we could have gone the minimalist route, but why - I'll save that for backpacking trips.

That's a 10' square canopy thing strapped to the top of the trailer. We possibly could have put it inside the trailer, but my thinking was if we got to a campsite and it was raining, we could set the canopy up real quick with the trailer underneath, and then when we took the top off the trailer the things inside weren't getting wet (nor would we be getting wet). We got a good bit of rain up in Alaska. The canopy was money well spent, and because we had the trailer we had room for it.

One of the main things we learned was a cooler takes up a lot of space inside, and when gear is packed on top and around it, it's a bit of a pain to get to it quickly. It you can mount it outside the trailer (like on the tongue) it'll both free up space inside, and you've got quick access to drinks and stuff when you stop during the day while traveling. That's one of my trailer projects once I get home. I'll switch the front and back panels on the trailer so the spare is on the back (might have to make a new panel for the front), and see about mounting a cooler up front. If I do that, I'll mount a 2" receiver on the rear so the spare rests on it, and tie the receiver into the trailer's tongue where it attaches under the trailer in the middle. I'll lose the 4 gallon gas can currently on the back of the trailer, but if I do I'll replace the 1.5 cans on the sides with 2.5 gallon jerry cans. Of course I'll post pictures.

We also learned the factory suspension is quite stiff, and it bounced more than we would have liked. We hit a good bump once and my buddy said it went airborne! That's why we switched out the factory slipper spring suspension for longer springs with a shackle rated a little less than the factory springs (written up previously in this thread). The wider axle is rated for like 1500 lbs, and the springs just over 1000; still way more than adequate. I think this will make a difference the next time we go on an adventure.
trailer-dirty-alaska.jpg  
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #907
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I know what you mean about the trailer going airborne. Mine did on numerous occasions the first trip out into the Gila NF. We took it in and by the time we got 26 miles in, the final bumps caused the rear gas cans to bounce off. Didn't know until we reached the cabin, but they were only about a mile back, sitting in the middle of the road where they had fallen off. One reason I got the adjustable clamps that jscherb recommended so they hopefully won't ever jump ship again. But, I digress. I need to change out the suspension before the next outing as it will for sure be on long, bumpy roads.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #908
pentaflex

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know what you mean about the trailer going airborne. Mine did on numerous occasions the first trip out into the Gila NF. We took it in and by the time we got 26 miles in, the final bumps caused the rear gas cans to bounce off. Didn't know until we reached the cabin, but they were only about a mile back, sitting in the middle of the road where they had fallen off. One reason I got the adjustable clamps that jscherb recommended so they hopefully won't ever jump ship again. But, I digress. I need to change out the suspension before the next outing as it will for sure be on long, bumpy roads.
I am eager to hear how a different suspension will perform. armyRN, have you had an opportunity to really test yours since changing it out?

I know I need to do something, and will probably go the same route. On my last trip, I had a Coleman lantern packed inside its plastic carrying case sitting on the floor of the trailer. The constant pounding broke the glass globe. (This was before the trailer broke down later.)
pentaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #909
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I love these little trailers , I bought this one for $160.00 to tow behind my Toyota , now im looking for a wrangler to replace the 4Runner
miscnov2011103.jpg  
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #910
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaflex View Post
I am eager to hear how a different suspension will perform. armyRN, have you had an opportunity to really test yours since changing it out?

I know I need to do something, and will probably go the same route. On my last trip, I had a Coleman lantern packed inside its plastic carrying case sitting on the floor of the trailer. The constant pounding broke the glass globe. (This was before the trailer broke down later.)
I haven't had a chance to do a good road trip with it yet with the new suspension (this whole Afghanistan thing...). When I was replacing the trailer's suspension, I did do a test where I got in the trailer (all 210 lbs of me) and jumped up and down and watched (and felt) the suspension looking over the side of the trailer. One side had the new suspension; the other side had the factory slipper spring still. The factory slipper springs didn't move; however the longer springs and shackle did - you could feel it, and you could see the shackle pivot as the spring went up and down. It'll never be cushy, but it was a good improvement. I'm sure the more weight in the trailer (with the new suspension) the better it will be. If and when you do change out the suspension (I recommend it), post a picture or two, and definitely give us an after-action report with your impressions after your first adventure with the new trailer suspension.

In my trailer, I also put a mat on the floor. At a horse tack and feed shop they had barn stall matting sold by the yard. It's a HD closed foam type flooring that provides cushion. I bought enough to put on the trailer's floor (I forget how thick; 3/8" to 1/2"?) and I think that helped us some. It was not expensive, and I would recommend it. I think you'll be pleased with it. With the red trailers you can use the 28" springs I linked to way-back-when - should do even a little better than the 26" springs I used.

My Coleman lantern's glass globe in the hard plastic case survived our Alaska trip (the padded mat on the floor may have helped), but I think you abuse your trailer more than I do mine. Mine was just hundreds of continuous miles of gravel roads of various smoothness (with some airborne moments). Of course I hope to do with my trailer what you've been doing with yours.

But this is why I built my trailer; to be out in the middle of nowhere in Alaska - two guys and their stuff off the beaten path at times just exploring and camping every night.
alaska-anchorage-005.jpg  
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #911
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post

In my trailer, I also put a mat on the floor. At a horse tack and feed shop they had barn stall matting sold by the yard. It's a HD closed foam type flooring that provides cushion. I bought enough to put on the trailer's floor (I forget how thick; 3/8" to 1/2"?) and I think that helped us some. It was not expensive, and I would recommend it. I think you'll be pleased with it. With the red trailers you can use the 28" springs I linked to way-back-when - should do even a little better than the 26" springs I used.
I'll have to look into that floor mat. Given I have a steel floor, it would help a lot. It would be sturdier, quieter and be easier on the equipment.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #912
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll have to look into that floor mat. Given I have a steel floor, it would help a lot. It would be sturdier, quieter and be easier on the equipment.
Let us know how it works out - do a write-up if you will with pictures. When I bought my matting, it was on a large roll and they sold it by the linear foot (or yard - I forget). It was very reasonable priced I thought. Seems like they had different thicknesses, and I got the thicker option. I am very pleased with how it worked out. And you're right, I think it does quiet things down too (I've got a steel floor too).
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #913
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

ArmayRN,

I'm curious if you ever weighed your belongins and/or the trailer full? I'd like to weigh it empty and then pack it and weigh it full. Not really necessary as I know I don't come close the weight limit, but just curious how much they carry in poundage.

Anyone out there weigh theirs yet?

Bob

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #914
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like to know what mine weighs empty; I just haven't made it a priority (I need to though).

I know when we took it to Alaska we had a lot of relatively heavy stuff in there (as opposed to things like sleeping bags and pillows); tent, cots, packed cooler, rubbermaid action packers with cookware and food; oven/stove combo, a flat of water, extra propane cylinders, folding table, folding chairs, misc. "stuff", etc. All the gas cans mounted on the trailer were full too. Still, I would estimate it at only a couple hundred pounds at the most (three - four hundred pounds (?) - definitely well under 500 pounds of gear not including the empty trailer weight itself). A lot of it is just bulky stuff, not cast iron or really heavy weight stuff. I mean; how much does a coleman lantern weigh? It's a lot of bulk vs. weight.

This might give folks a good idea of what I'm talking about - check out the link and picture below. This was just a couple day off-road event a couple hours away from home I went to by myself. I wasn't "packed to the gills" as they might say, but I wasn't going light or trying to leave stuff at home either. All this came out of the trailer; try fitting all that in the back of your TJ! I even brought some of my trash home.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post14238564
trailer-unpacked.jpg  
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #915
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok; for me trailers are for hauling camping gear. I've found The Sportsman's Guide is a good place to get camping gear; I've got quite a few things from them (and no - I've got no connection other than I buy stuff from them). They have camping gear, outdoor clothing, gun-stuff (I've ordered ammo from them for my 45-70 guide gun), lots of military surplus, and truck/ATV stuff to include towing stuff. Anyways, they've got free shipping this weekend with no minimum order. Check them out to get ready for your next adventure:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/m...k383tsgmain&em

Anyways - back to trailer stuff. I ordered an NCR2051 NATO hitch yesterday from England (they don't sell them in the states best as I can tell or could find). It's a flush mounted pintle hitch (like what you can buy in the states all day long), but you can pull a pin at the base and it will allow the hitch to rotate 360 degrees. It'll cost just over $200 for the hitch with shipping. I know there are other multi-axis hitches out there for sale, and I know jscherb has his $50.00 do-it-yourself multi-axis hitch; I'm just tossing another option out there. I just like pintle hitches - easy to connect and disconnect the trailer, and they just look damn cool mounted to the back of a Jeep. I've had good luck using a pintle hitch with my trailer - even a fixed pintle hitch/lunette ring set-up has a much better range of motion compared to a regular ball hitch/coupler set-up.

NATO Hitch: http://www.paddockspares.com/nrc2051...tow-hitch.html

ROM specs ball coupler vs. pintle/lunette ring: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post13293141

I'll post pictures of the new set-up when I get home. I'm hoping the new hitch's bolt pattern matches what's on the adapter plate now (pictured below). I guess this picture also shows how the 2" receiver adapter thing and lunette ring extends the trailer's tongue a bit too.

Edit: They quoted me the wrong price (and I showed them the price they quoted me, and they said they had no idea where that number came from) and it was going to be about $100 more than originally planned. So I cancelled the order. It's too bad too; I was looking forward to getting one. Someday.
pintle-hitch-set-up.jpg  
nrc2051.jpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.