Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 60 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #886
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
I picked up my latches on eBay for $4.00 each. The ones I found didn't have a provision for a padlock, so I had to add that myself. They're still available, and they're great if you don't want to make the straps lockable (or can add a provision for the padlock yourself: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161006932144...84.m1497.l2649

McMaster-Carr has similar latches that include the padlock loop, their #13435a31 or #13435a32 would work well in this application: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2927/=ofisp4
Thanks for the info. I like the $4 ones, but I do need it to lock so, I'll just go with the ones from McMaster...

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #887
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just bought the Ebay latches. I figured that for $4ea I could figure out how to make a lockable one for much cheaper than the $12ea McMaster-...was charging. Would've been twice as much with them. Thanks for the information.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #888
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

This thread is going to get me into another project! A trailer build! This trailer was with the YJ I recently purchased and it looks pretty solid. It is pretty heavy and I know nothing about it. It has matching 37s on it though and that is pretty awesome in itself. Thanks for this thread. I have spent over an hour going through just the first 20-30 pages or so. I still have a ways to go.
ob1korobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #889
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

doubled up

Last edited by ob1korobi; 09-09-2013 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: double post
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #890
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1korobi View Post
This thread is going to get me into another project! A trailer build! This trailer was with the YJ I recently purchased and it looks pretty solid. It is pretty heavy and I know nothing about it. It has matching 37s on it though and that is pretty awesome in itself. Thanks for this thread. I have spent over an hour going through just the first 20-30 pages or so. I still have a ways to go.
Welcome. There's lots of ideas as I'm sure you have seen, so post your build here if you can so your ideas will help others and their build.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #891
JKBender
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1korobi View Post
Very cool... the second "free trailer" to post up on this thread in recent weeks!

If the frame is solid and the axle is of the 3500# variety, you got one heck of a find there. Lots of options for how to build the box, you will need to let us know what direction you are thinking?
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #892
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The trailer has leaf springs so I am sure it is pretty strong. The tongue has a pintle on it and everything is wired but I don't know the condition of said wiring yet. The fences are removable so i am thinking of using the materials in place and just reinforcing everything. It is basically just a dirty trailer that needs some love. Eventually I am planning on a pop up tent, solar system, expedition trailer.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #893
BSC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
Works great. Did you weld on the support brackets underneath?
No there just bolted on they were post supports from home depot, got lucky and didn't even have to trim them

Paint

Mounted
BSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #894
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSC View Post
No there just bolted on they were post supports from home depot, got lucky and didn't even have to trim them

Paint

Mounted
God I love this thread. Just when you think you've thought of all that you can, someone comes along and show's you something new. Thanks to all that have posted, and again thanks to ArmyRN for starting a great thread.

bobdog (aka Tim)

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #895
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
God I love this thread. Just when you think you've thought of all that you can, someone comes along and show's you something new. Thanks to all that have posted, and again thanks to ArmyRN for starting a great thread.

bobdog (aka Tim)
I may have started this thread, but there's only so much I can add to it. Thank goodness for the folks that have taken this concept and run with it! I've got a lot of great ideas from others on this thread. Keep your ideas and project pictures coming!
armyRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #896
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So I was looking at this jerry can holder (middle picture), and I noticed the bottom rung also has a loop-thingy that the retaining strap could attach to. So I got to wondering, if I used the bottom loop with the strap, would it work with a 2.5 gallon jerry can? I'm thinking of replacing the 1.5 gallon fuel cells mounted on the sides of my trailer with some 2.5 gallon jerry cans. The five gallon cans would be too big.

http://deutscheoptik.com/Junior-10-Liter-Jerry-Can.html

When I get home I'll swing by a 4WD parts place that sells the holders, and check it out with a 2.5 gallon jerry can I already have. I could use the traditional jerry can holders if I had to (as shown on the back of the Willys).
willys-jeep.jpg  
gascan-carrier.jpg

gerry-can-small.1.jpg

Unread 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #897
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Army,

I noticed those as well, but wondered if they would work with the NATO cans that you and I both have. Let me know how it works out. Thanks.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #898
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Army,

What size wheels are on that Willys? They look small in comparison to the 15"ers you have on the trailer. Just curious if they are smaller or it is a picture issue.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #899
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Army,

What size wheels are on that Willys? They look small in comparison to the 15"ers you have on the trailer. Just curious if they are smaller or it is a picture issue.
The Willys has 31x10.5x15" tires on 15x8" rims. I think it's just a picture issue. The tires on the Willys are a little worn though; they're not too much bigger than the trailer tires. It's an older picture; before the 2" receiver tongue adapter was made.

I'll also point out the fact the Willys' bolt pattern (5 on 5.5") is different than the trailer's bolt pattern (5 on 4.5"). Another reason to carry a spare for (and on) your trailer. Being stuck in the middle of Alaska with a flat on your loaded trailer with no spare isn't my idea of a good time. It's cheap insurance - a spare tire and a set of bearing/complete hub set.

Next year we're taking my truck to Alaska; hopefully in 2016 we're going to run the "Classic Jeep Trip to Alaska". Of course, I'll be taking the trailer with the Willys.

And I'll let you know about the gas can holders.
willys-jeep2.jpg  
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #900
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the clarification. It must be eyes as they age.

The Jeep run sounds like a blast, esp. with the Willys. We will all want to see pics of course, and by the looks of it, this thread should be going strong even then.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.