Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 08-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #76
NUTKINS

I guess I was the only one who was thinking that with a mini trailer comes a mini budget.

$1000 for a DIY Fiberglass tub kit? To rich for my blood.

NUTKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #77
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTKINS View Post
I guess I was the only one who was thinking that with a mini trailer comes a mini budget.

I believe the $1000 he talked about included the trailer itself and the toneau cover for the tub along with the tub kit. From seeing his other projects, it would be a first-rate trailer.

This trailer as you see it here cost about $1000, and it's definitely not waterproof. But it is set up how I wanted it using what skills and abilities I have. That's the beauty of these little trailers - they're like Jeeps. You can build and modify and set them up however you want to. You can go cheap, or drop some money on them. And I want to see what folks have done with their little trailers (so post your pictures!).

What do they say? - "To each his own".

If you're wanting to go inexpensive (and that's legitimate) or have a mini-budget, you can get one of the red 4' HF mini trailers with 12" rims/tires for about $200, and then add another $100 or so for a plywood floor (half of a 4'x8' sheet), 1x4 slats and nuts/bolts and it would be ready to roll with a little bit of cutting and drilling the lumber and putting it all together. Using scrap lumber (like from a section of 6' fencing made up of 1x4 or 1x6" pressure treated boards) might get you in even cheaper. You might be able to make a metal trailer tub out of an old refrigerator - and use the door for a lid (I'm eyeing my refrigerator as I'm typing this). If you're on a budget (no shame there that's for sure), get creative! Have some fun with it! Think outside the box (pun intended).

Bolt a spare tire on there and you're even more set. HF has spares on sale sometimes under $40; I've got two 12" spares (one's never been used) sitting in my garage that I'll sell cheap if anyone wants one. Heck, I'll give you one if you show up at my house pulling a little 4' trailer behind a Jeep ("...while supplies last").
dscn0324.1jpg.jpg  
armyRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #78
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTKINS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
I believe the $1000 he talked about included the trailer itself and the toneau cover for the tub along with the tub kit. From seeing his other projects, it would be a first-rate trailer.
Yes, $1000 would be the finished cost of the trailer, including the tonneau cover and the HF trailer frame.

But if that's too much for people, then maybe it's not worth producing the fiberglass tub parts. That's why I posted here, to get feedback on the idea.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #79
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Yes, $1000 would be the finished cost of the trailer, including the tonneau cover and the HF trailer frame.

But if that's too much for people, then maybe it's not worth producing the fiberglass tub parts. That's why I posted here, to get feedback on the idea.
$1000 does seem like a lot, until you start comparing it to what's out there. Then it seems very reasonable; especially for a good looking, water-tight trailer that could easily be pulled behind a Jeep (especially a four-cylinder Jeep).

Jscherb please keep us posted if you decide to do the mini-trailer project, and post updates as you progress with it.

I personally wish the company that made your large diamond plate Jeep storage box would make a similar product but shaped like the old Army Jeep Trailer tubs with a 41" x 50" floor with a hinged lid. I've talked with companies that make diamond plate dog boxes for trucks, and while the prices were reasonable (~$650, and fenders were my responsibility), the shipping costs (~$350) killed the deal.

Sorry for the bad/ugly picture, but you get the idea.
m416-2001.jpg  
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #80
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking of adding two of these little fuel cells to my trailer; one on each side in front of the fenders. I took measurements and they would fit. Each one holds 1.5 gallons (the one on the back holds four gallons). Three gallons might not seem like much, but even at 15 mpg, that's an additional 45 miles you wouldn't have to walk.

Each fuel pack and mounting bracket combo would cost about $37.00 plus shipping; so for two that would be $74.00 plus shipping.

http://atvfuelpack.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=6& flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=62&option=com_virtu emart&Itemid=86&vmcchk=1&Itemid=86
fuel-pack-jr..jpg

Unread 09-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #81
1911Tyler
1977 CJ5 

I'm loving this trailer. I looked at them at HF last weekend. It just looked so small leaning up against the wall but then I look at yours and it looks so big. I'm really thinking about one. I'm also thinking of making a alum. Tub like the m 416. Then mounting it on something cheap like the HF. I'm a sheet metal fabricator by trade. I could do all the breaks at work but would have to do the welding at a friends shop. My work is pretty fancy and they dont like to see big personal projects of that size hanging around for more then a day. But it would be fine to put breaks in then take them home.
1911Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #82
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Tyler View Post
I'm loving this trailer. I looked at them at HF last weekend. It just looked so small leaning up against the wall but then I look at yours and it looks so big. I'm really thinking about one. I'm also thinking of making a alum. Tub like the m 416. Then mounting it on something cheap like the HF. I'm a sheet metal fabricator by trade. I could do all the breaks at work but would have to do the welding at a friends shop. My work is pretty fancy and they dont like to see big personal projects of that size hanging around for more then a day. But it would be fine to put breaks in then take them home.
Be really cool to see your work in a build thread. Hope you do so.

Sounds like an excellent project.

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #83
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, these are fun little trailers. And they can hold a lot more stuff than you would think They're perfect for pulling behind a four cylinder Jeep when weight is an issue.

Harbor Freight sells a little black trailer with silver tin sides and 8" rims. This trailer is different than the HF red and black trailers I've written about. The frame is narrower (so the wider axle that I used and will work with the red trailer isn't a bolt-in with this one) and the bed frame is a little longer.

I would love to see a 416-type tub made for these little trailers. Definitely post pictures if you do. And if you priced them right, your company might be able to market them. The HF red trailers require a trailer tub floor 41" x 48", and the black ones like mine require a tub floor measuring 41" x 50".
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #84
1911Tyler
1977 CJ5 

The girlfriend and I are going to go to HF right now. I wish my work would be interested in making something like this. But I work for Penske racing and they don't care about making money they care about winning races. But that being said I work with some of the best fabricators there is. We are always looking for a side job. What do you think a alum tub would be worth? I need to call and price the alum this week. No trailer. Just the tub.
Unread 09-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #85
1911Tyler
1977 CJ5 

Ok bought the 12 inch tire
model. 207$ out the door with a 20% off coupon.
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #86
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The girlfriend and I are going to go to HF right now. I wish my work would be interested in making something like this. But I work for Penske racing and they don't care about making money they care about winning races. But that being said I work with some of the best fabricators there is. We are always looking for a side job. What do you think a alum tub would be worth? I need to call and price the alum this week. No trailer. Just the tub.
Off the top of my head, I figure just a well made tub could easily sell for $500-600 (without fenders); add another $150 or so for a latching lid.

Think of it as a large M-416 trailer shaped truck bed toolbox with a 41" x 48" base (red trailer; 41" x 50" base for the black trailer).
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #87
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok bought the 12 inch tire
model. 207$ out the door with a 20% off coupon.
Ok, let the fun begin. Are you going to keep it "stock", or are you going to modify it? Please post pictures of what you do.

I mounted an ammo can on the trailer tongue of my trailer today. It looks nice... just like ... an ammo can mounted on a trailer tongue (it's kinda hard to get excited about it, but I'm happy with it).

I also ordered two of those 1.5 gallon Kolpin fuel cans to mount on the sides in front of the wheels. I'll post pictures when I get them mounted. Seems like last time I ordered a fuel can from them (i.e. the large one on the rear of the trailer) it took a while to arrive. But the price was right, and I'm not in a rush.

I think "Adventure Trailer" might be a trademarked name, but that's what I call my little trailer. I keep tweaking it to get it ready for its next "Adventure". Hopefully to Alaska next year.
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #88
1911Tyler
1977 CJ5 

Well I just googled some alum prices. To build it out of the proper thickness. It's looking like 500$ in just aluminum. I might just build the sides like yours for now to save some money. I'm sure my cost would be much less but still wow. I was shocked. It makes me think how much we wast every day. Yes I was going to stick with stock tires for now that's why I bought the 12". That way I don't have to up grade right away.
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #89
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I just googled some alum prices. To build it out of the proper thickness. It's looking like 500$ in just aluminum. I might just build the sides like yours for now to save some money. I'm sure my cost would be much less but still wow. I was shocked. It makes me think how much we wast every day. Yes I was going to stick with stock tires for now that's why I bought the 12". That way I don't have to up grade right away.
I have no idea what good quality aluminum costs - I didn't know it was that expensive. I had contacted some companys months ago and was getting prices around $650, but they might have been quoting based on a thinner gauge diamond plate. But they were wanting like $350 for shipping, so that was killing the deal. I contacted companies that made truck tool boxes, truck dog boxes, etc. I'm thinking I'll be having a vinyl liner made to keep things dry before my next adventure (with a top that zips/velcros shut).

The first adventure I took with my little trailer was with the stock 12" rims. You can see us leaving in the picture from the first post in this thread.
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #90
1911Tyler
1977 CJ5 

Ya mot truck boxes are made of .060 diamond plate. But something 4x6 would have to be more like .090 for the sides and .125 for the floor. But I'm not a fan of diamond plate so I would just use 3003. It's a softer grade not aircraft. Aircraft would be like 6061. It's to hard to make breaks "bends". So ya maybe just follow this thread and box it up like yours with the nice stake sides. Like I said I'll just keep the 12s for now.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.