Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 58 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #856
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
Have not yet started, but one of the local guys has offered to help me build a frame using 2.5 square tubing, so I might get away from the HF trailer. I hope to talk with him this weekend. 8 Jeeps just did a weekend trip to the Ouray area and Fred had his trailer along. You can see pics of his trailer here. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f52/our...ml#post4235769

I would still do the simple box, T&G or "Bear Box", just a lot stronger frame.
There is no doubt a trailer frame made of 2.5" square tubing would be stronger than the C-channel frames that come with the little HF type red and black trailers. But with a little reinforcing, these little HF type trailers are more than adequate for what most Jeepers are wanting to do with them; haul camping gear to the trailhead, mild to moderate four wheeling, and long road trips. Plus for folks like me that don't weld, they're the perfect project beginning platform for building in your garage.

But I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your Alaska trip next year. Please keep us posted.

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #857
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
There is no doubt a trailer frame made of 2.5" square tubing would be stronger than the C-channel frames that come with the little HF type red and black trailers. But with a little reinforcing, these little HF type trailers are more than adequate for what most Jeepers are wanting to do with them; haul camping gear to the trailhead, mild to moderate four wheeling, and long road trips. Plus for folks like me that don't weld, they're the perfect project beginning platform for building in your garage.

But I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your Alaska trip next year. Please keep us posted.
AGREE and if I didn't have this offer, I would take the 48 x 96 and cut it down to 41 x 48 or 60 and put a 2.5 square main tube. Thanks to you, jscherb, bobdog, pentaflex, BSC and everyone else who has posted here.

Since I have the chance to build or over build the frame, I am going to take it. Now I still need to decide how I want the box and tongue.

Some people here have done a fantastic job building their trailers and the information on this thread is the best there is, be it from post or links to other post. I am not sure that I would attempt to do a trailer without the information I have gotten here
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #858
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Found a 25% off coupon in the newspaper for labor day.
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #859
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've got wheels. At least it's towable. Now to figure out the drop hitch 4 or 5 inches,
image-4294692134.jpg

image-709330927.jpg

image-3586726900.jpg

image-385759201.jpg

Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #860
switters88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
I've got wheels. At least it's towable. Now to figure out the drop hitch 4 or 5 inches,
Man that's awesome.
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
switters88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #861
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by switters88

Man that's awesome.
Thank you! I'm happy how its turning out.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #862
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks awesome! It went together well; seems like you had no issues putting it all together. I wonder if anyone else follows your lead and goes this route.

It looks like the trailer tongue stand is earning its keep.
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #863
JKBender
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just got back from my Labor Day trip to the Badlands Off Road Park in Indiana. I was able to put about 550 miles on the trailer with no issues. I had just built a lid for the trailer prior to this trip and was glad that I did. Shortly after this photo was taken a major thunderstorm rolled in (the reason that no gear is visible in the photo as we stored everything in prep for the storm), it rained very hard for about 4 hours! Well, the lid worked perfectly as I had ZERO water inside the box!!!
20130831_163816-copy2.jpg  
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #864
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBender View Post
Just got back from my Labor Day trip to the Badlands Off Road Park in Indiana. I was able to put about 550 miles on the trailer with no issues. I had just built a lid for the trailer prior to this trip and was glad that I did. Shortly after this photo was taken a major thunderstorm rolled in (the reason that no gear is visible in the photo as we stored everything in prep for the storm), it rained very hard for about 4 hours! Well, the lid worked perfectly as I had ZERO water inside the box!!!
So how do you feel regarding how much the trailer could carry for your trip? Did it meet your expectations?
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #865
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
It turned out very nice

Fender looks really tight with the tire?
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #866
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
It turned out very nice

Fender looks really tight with the tire?
They are the original fenders and yes they are tight. I'm waiting for armyRN to receive his new fenders that are the next size up. The lower mounting holes go from 16.5" to 20". I don't want to have to buy them more than once. I just wanted something on there to drive it around with.
fenders-redtrailers.jpg

Unread 09-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #867
JKBender
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So how do you feel regarding how much the trailer could carry for your trip? Did it meet your expectations?
This was my second trip with the trailer. The first trip was a 1 night trip with 4 people. This trip was for 2 nights with 2 people. Both trips worked out great with the trailer, the only items we put inside the Jeep was 1 bag of dry goods.

This trip was tighter than the first trip, but not because of the additional night. This trip included a day of wheeling, so I had an action packer full of recovery gear as well as another bag of tools and such... but it all still fit in the trailer.

Currently my cooler goes inside the trailer box, and it takes up about 30% of the space. My plans are to build a longer tongue with a platform for the cooler on it, this will free up so much space that I know I could take a multiday trip out west to go wheeling with no problems.
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #868
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They are the original fenders and yes they are tight. I'm waiting for armyRN to receive his new fenders that are the next size up. The lower mounting holes go from 16.5" to 20". I don't want to have to buy them more than once. I just wanted something on there to drive it around with.
Sahara707 used a different set of brackets than I did to raise his fenders. I think mine are up a little bit higher.

The fenders arrived at the house. I ordered the 20" fenders so they shouldn't interfere with the little gas cans mounted on the sides (you can see in the picture I've only got a couple inches to play with before they hit the gas can). My wife will be emailing me the measurements, and then I'll post them. Oh; and she called the trailer my "garage ornament". I guess where I see potential Jeep trip adventures she just sees an overbuilt cardboard box storage unit.

This picture is before the 2" receiver tongue adapter thing. You can see the adjustable hitch the trailer is connected to.

This is the adjustable hitch I used (purchased I think at Auto Zone): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Drop-Ba...441#vi-content It was definitely money well spent.

And I just noticed something; I think there's free shipping on the adjustable hitch I linked above. I don't know if the hitch I linked above is the exact brand that I got, but it looks identical. Looks like the site has quite a few additional options for adjustable height/drop hitches.
gas-cans-jeep-trailer-321.1jpg.jpg  
drop-hitch.jpg

Unread 09-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #869
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So here are the measurements of the new fenders:

Hole to hole: 20" (current fenders are 16.5")
Length: 23"
Width: 6.5" (same as fenders on there now)
Height: 5.5"

Which is what I was wanting; fenders just a little longer than what I currently had but not so much longer they would interfere with the fuel cells mounted on the sides.

These new fenders also have two holes pre-drilled on top (I guess for some type of factory mounting bracket). No big deal; maybe I'll find a use for them.

And notice how the trailer serves double duty as the empty cardboard box storage unit when not in use.
fender-picture.jpg

fender-picture.1.jpg

Unread 09-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #870
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So here are the measurements of the new fenders:

Hole to hole: 20" (current fenders are 16.5")
Length: 23"
Width: 6.5" (same as fenders on there now)
Height: 5.5"

Which is what I was wanting; fenders just a little longer than what I currently had but not so much longer they would interfere with the fuel cells mounted on the sides.

These new fenders also have two holes pre-drilled on top (I guess for some type of factory mounting bracket). No big deal; maybe I'll find a use for them.

And notice how the trailer serves double duty as the empty cardboard box storage unit when not in use.
I didn't know that Mrs. amryRN was a fender model. Nice! (will all due respect) OK, I think I'll order a pair.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.