Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Reply
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #826
bobdog
Senior Member
 
bobdog's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBender View Post
The end result was awesome, I have a very nice (but heavy) lid that is perfectly square. Square turned out to be my next issue, fitted the lid to the trailer and found that it really highlighted how out of square my trailer box is. Granted, each side is within a 1/4" of square, but it is off enough that my keyed latches would not work. Now to get some washers to try and shim everything square.

Sorry for the rant, but to those currently building a box, please learn from my pain... a 1/4" out of square is a lot once you try to build the lid.
I had the same problem. Mine was within a 1/4" as well, and when I went to weld on the life...well, you know what happened. As it was my first lid (and trailer for that matter) I went ahead and made a bar to hold the hinges and welded away. Lesson learned. And I even measure twice, etc. My problem was I was welding corners and I thought I could get away with a little bit off. No go charlie. So, I feel your pain.

__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...-sort-1209834/


Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #827
JKBender
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Algonquin, IL
Posts: 91
Anyone have any experience on how often you should grease the hubs? I have the 12" tires on mine. I repacked using a marine grade grease back when I built the trailer. It has been on one camping trip, a little less than 150 miles round trip. I am about to leave on a 350 mile trip. I assume that I should be fine, but how often should I be applying grease?
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #828
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler
 
jokerchief462's Avatar
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sin City, Nevada
Posts: 2,847
If they aren't bearing buddies with grease seeks it should be good for at least a year unless exposed to water. I did all my. Trailers annually.

If exposed to water you should at least remove the dust caps and look for water. If found clean and repack.

Sent from underneath my Jeep
__________________
89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #829
switters88
Member
 
switters88's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 151
Finally got my tailgate latches! Put those on the back tailgate and everything is solid. No rattles when driving. Next up is to figure out tarp tie-down points until I figure out a "shutter" type lid. And also need to mount spare tire and water jugs. Maybe get some rotopax.
imag1193_zpsa8f5da5b.jpg   imag1194_zpsa6cdbca5.jpg   imag1195_zps043be02d.jpg  
__________________
2012 Wrangler JKU Sport
1998 Wrangler TJ
1989 Wrangler YJ (sold)
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
switters88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #830
Sahara707
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 468
Looks good!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #831
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,214
switters88: I like the tailgate brackets; they look plenty sturdy.

As far as tarp tie-down points, may I suggest replacing the bolts attaching the slats second from the top with some eye-bolts? Worked for me (first picture).

When I first got my trailer, I mounted the spare on the tongue (see second picture). It was a simple "U" type bracket that only cost a few bucks at Harbor Freight. Later when I got the larger tires in the five-bolt pattern I used a YJ/TJ type tailgate spare tire holder and mounted it to the trailer (and had the tire resting on the trailer tongue too as shown in first picture).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m.../#post11209803
eye-bolts-trailer-done-006.jpg  
olympic-penninsula-trip-copy-2-.jpg

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #832
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,214
Water jug suggestions and mounting:

http://scooterpartsplace.com/Kolpin-...-5-Gallon.aspx

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post12325168

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post12332994

It could look like this mounted on the sides in front of the tires (but white 1.5 gallon water packs instead of the red 1.5 gallon fuel packs):
gas-cans-jeep-trailer-321.1jpg.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #833
switters88
Member
 
switters88's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
Looks good!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
switters88: I like the tailgate brackets; they look plenty sturdy.

As far as tarp tie-down points, may I suggest replacing the bolts attaching the slats second from the top with some eye-bolts? Worked for me (first picture).

When I first got my trailer, I mounted the spare on the tongue (see second picture). It was a simple "U" type bracket that only cost a few bucks at Harbor Freight. Later when I got the larger tires in the five-bolt pattern I used a YJ/TJ type tailgate spare tire holder and mounted it to the trailer (and had the tire resting on the trailer tongue too as shown in first picture).

Thanks Sahara. And thank you Army for the info on the eye-bolts and can holders. I'm going to head out to the Depot and get the bolts today and research a little more on the water jugs and spare. Maybe for aesthetic purposes I'll mount the tire on the inside of the box for now; however, that more than likely won't last long due to the already limited space inside. I will also need to fab a little storage box to hold tools and whatnot and that I will more than likely be placed inside as well.
__________________
2012 Wrangler JKU Sport
1998 Wrangler TJ
1989 Wrangler YJ (sold)
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
switters88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #834
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by switters88 View Post
Thanks Sahara. And thank you Army for the info on the eye-bolts and can holders. I'm going to head out to the Depot and get the bolts today and research a little more on the water jugs and spare. Maybe for aesthetic purposes I'll mount the tire on the inside of the box for now; however, that more than likely won't last long due to the already limited space inside. I will also need to fab a little storage box to hold tools and whatnot and that I will more than likely be placed inside as well.
I just mounted an ammo can on my trailer's tongue to hold a spare hub, bearings, lug nuts, paperwork, and misc. trailer stuff; you could really mount one anywhere you have a flat surface on your trailer. Or like you said keep inside so you can remove it when you want.

As far as mounting the spare tire, how about mounting it on the front like I did (pictures in posts above), but rest the tire on the lip of the trailer frame, and get two long 1/2" bolts & fender washers, drill two holes through your boards (one above and one below) to line up with two opposing bolt-holes on the rim, and bolt the tire up flush against the outside front of your trailer's box? If you ever get larger wheels and tires the holes would be easy enough to plug (1/2" diameter wooden dowel cut 3/4" long & tapped in and then stained/varnished over).

Or you could get an 8"x2" board scrap and cut it square (7.5" x 7.5") to use as a spacer between the wheel and the trailer box if you wanted to move the spare out so the tire rested on the trailer tongue if you wanted some space between the tire and box (if having it flush would cause interference with your lid project or securing a tarp around the perimeter).

Or since you've just got the 12" rim and tire, how about a mounting it underneath the trailer on the back half? Same concept with 1/2" long bolts and large fender washers, but drill the holes in the floor. You could have it up flush with the underneath of the flooring. I'd use four bolts if I went this route. It would definitely be out of the way and out of sight.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #835
BSC
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by switters88 View Post
Finally got my tailgate latches! Put those on the back tailgate and everything is solid. No rattles when driving. Next up is to figure out tarp tie-down points until I figure out a "shutter" type lid. And also need to mount spare tire and water jugs. Maybe get some rotopax.
really looks great, Nice work
BSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #836
switters88
Member
 
switters88's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post

As far as mounting the spare tire, how about mounting it on the front like I did (pictures in posts above), but rest the tire on the lip of the trailer frame, and get two long 1/2" bolts & fender washers, drill two holes through your boards (one above and one below) to line up with two opposing bolt-holes on the rim, and bolt the tire up flush against the outside front of your trailer's box?
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking too. I'm going to put it off for a few days since my garage will be in full use while I service my Jeeps. I'll be sure to post up some pics once I'm done with the next phase of the trailer project.
__________________
2012 Wrangler JKU Sport
1998 Wrangler TJ
1989 Wrangler YJ (sold)
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
switters88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #837
switters88
Member
 
switters88's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSC View Post

really looks great, Nice work
Thanks BSC! I'm really enjoying the project but I'm a little bummed that it's almost finished. Well, that's to say all the major things but the lid.
__________________
2012 Wrangler JKU Sport
1998 Wrangler TJ
1989 Wrangler YJ (sold)
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
switters88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #838
Sahara707
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by switters88

Thanks BSC! I'm really enjoying the project but I'm a little bummed that it's almost finished. Well, that's to say all the major things but the lid.
I'm feeling the same way. I guess now it will be time to load it up and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #839
kjg26
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,819
For those of you that have replaced the stock tongue with full length square tubing. How did you attach the tubing to the frame? Did you run a bolt all the way through from top to bottom? Did you somehow fish a nut through the tubing? How did you do it? Thanks
__________________
Black 1993 YJ 4.0, 5 Speed
Slowly but surely getting better and better. Trailer build soon!!
kjg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #840
pentaflex
Member
 
pentaflex's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
I'm feeling the same way. I guess now it will be time to load it up and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

switters88 and Sahara707 -- Don't worry guys, the project never ends unless and until you want it to! Enjoy!

I finally got back to patching mine up this weekend. Bought some 2" angle steel that I have cut, drilled, primered. Just need to paint today then it's ready for reassemble. I'll post pics when I have it back together.

Switters -- Your trailer looks great! I notice you're in Colorado. Probably too late but just FYI, Murdochs sells fasteners by the pound (up to grade 5 anyway) and they seem to be MUCH cheaper than Home Depot.

Sahara -- Your looks great as well. Looking forward to seeing pics from both of you out on the trail!
pentaflex is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.