Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 54 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #796
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Link to the corner brackets?

Unread 08-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #797
switters88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
Link to the corner brackets?
I don't have a link but I ordered them from redtrailers.com. They are the corner stake rack connectors which come in a full set (left & right).
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
switters88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #798
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=383CB
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #799
switters88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
Those are the ones!
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #800
JKBender
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by switters88 View Post
I don't have a link but I ordered them from redtrailers.com. They are the corner stake rack connectors which come in a full set (left & right).
Are you getting these?

http://redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=383CB
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #801
switters88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBender View Post
Yeah, with any luck I should have everything put together this weekend.
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #802
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've always found redtrailers to be a little on the expensive side. However, sometimes they've got what you're looking for when you can't find it anywhere else.

Like replacement fenders only slightly larger. I've been wanting some slightly longer and wider fenders for my trailer ever since I put the bigger tires and wheels on it. I found these at redtrailer a while back:

http://redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=SJ8512-22

They're 3.5" longer, and slightly wider and taller (I had talked with them months ago) than the factory fenders I have on there now. I wanted to keep the flat fender style so I could sit stuff on top of them. I measured, and they won't interfere with my little gas cans mounted on the trailer's side (close, but it'll work). And it will give me just a little more clearance between the fender and gas can since they'll be a little further back than when I originally measured for them due to the suspension change moving the axle slightly rearward.

When I asked redtrailer what the measurements of these replacement (20") fenders were, they said (quote): "THE REPLACEMENT FENDERS ARE TOP LEFT TO RIGHT 7 & 3/4 INCHES AND THEY ARE 7 & 3/4 INCHES TALL, THANKS".

When I put the new suspension on my trailer, it moved the axle back less than an inch (an inch at the most anyways), but I can notice it. Can you see how the tire isn't centered under the fender in the picture? Anyways, when I finally get these fenders and mount them I'll make sure the tire is centered.
jeep-trailer-front-house.jpg  
armyRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #803
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN
I've always found redtrailers to be a little on the expensive side. However, sometimes they've got what you're looking for when you can't find it anywhere else.

Like replacement fenders only slightly larger. I've been wanting some slightly longer and wider fenders for my trailer ever since I put the bigger tires and wheels on it. I found these at redtrailer a while back:

http://redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=SJ8512-22

They're 3.5" longer, and slightly wider and taller (I had talked with them months ago) than the factory fenders I have on there now. I wanted to keep the flat fender style so I could sit stuff on top of them. I measured, and they won't interfere with my little gas cans mounted on the trailer's side (close, but it'll work). And it will give me just a little more clearance between the fender and gas can since they'll be a little further back than when I originally measured for them.

When I asked redtrailer what the measurements of these replacement (20") fenders were, they said: "THE REPLACEMENT FENDERS ARE TOP LEFT TO RIGHT 7 & 3/4 INCHES AND THEY ARE 7 & 3/4 INCHES TALL, THANKS".

When I put the new suspension on my trailer, it moved the axle back less than an inch (an inch at the most anyways), but I can notice it. Can you see how the tire isn't centered under the fender in the picture? Anyways, when I finally get these fenders and mount them I'll make sure the tire is centered.
I've looked at the fenders and they are longer, but are they any wider? Redtrailers give dimensions on a lot of there fenders except for the three replacement ones?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #804
metalmulisha
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thought i would share picked up this little guy for 35 bucks the sides and bottom was rotten so i replaced and now waiting on wheel spacers to fit the tire/wheel combo on its 5 1/2 feet long by 3ft wide i think it will work perfect for me going to build a set of shackles since it doesnt have any and prime and paint the sides and bottom and order or make some fenders on top of all this i lucked out and the axle is 5 on 4.5 lug pattern
0817131901b.jpg

0817131901c.jpg

0824131431b.jpg

0824131431.jpg

0824131533.jpg

metalmulisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #805
gouacats
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmulisha
thought i would share picked up this little guy for 35 bucks the sides and bottom was rotten so i replaced and now waiting on wheel spacers to fit the tire/wheel combo on its 5 1/2 feet long by 3ft wide i think it will work perfect for me going to build a set of shackles since it doesnt have any and prime and paint the sides and bottom and order or make some fenders on top of all this i lucked out and the axle is 5 on 4.5 lug pattern
Wow! Nice pickup.
gouacats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #806
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
I've looked at the fenders and they are longer, but are they any wider? Redtrailers give dimensions on a lot of there fenders except for the three replacement ones?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
The one's I'm looking at are 20" from hole to hole (compared to ours which are 16.5" from hole to hole as I recall). I'm looking at them mainly for their longer advantage, but a little wider and taller would be nice.

And they said they were 7.75" across the top (left to right), and 7.75" tall from the email I received a while back from redtrailer. If I remember correctly, these were a little wider and taller than what came on my lil black trailer. I don't remember how much though. I'd go out and measure to see how much larger, but Afghanistan is a long way from TN.

Would you do me (us) a favor and measure the ones from your trailer and see how wide they are across, and how tall they stand and let us know what you get?
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #807
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fender Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
The one's I'm looking at are 20" from hole to hole (compared to ours which are 16.5" from hole to hole as I recall). I'm looking at them mainly for their longer advantage, but a little wider and taller would be nice.

And they said they were 7.75" across the top (left to right), and 7.75" tall from the email I received a while back from redtrailer. If I remember correctly, these were a little wider and taller than what came on my lil black trailer. I don't remember how much though. I'd go out and measure to see how much larger, but Afghanistan is a long way from TN.

Would you do me (us) a favor and measure the ones from your trailer and see how wide they are across, and how tall they stand and let us know what you get?
L = 21.75
w = 6.5
H = 6.5
Amor Rex has a site for black trailer parts. I'll check with them. I really could use a fender that was between 8" to 10 ". Less of a spacers?
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #808
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
L = 21.75
w = 6.5
H = 6.5
Amor Rex has a site for black trailer parts. I'll check with them. I really could use a fender that was between 8" to 10 ". Less of a spacers?
Cool; an inch and a quarter wider, and an inch and a quarter taller. Thanks for the measurements! I remembered they were wider and taller; I just didn't remember by how much. I might have to do something different with the frame mounted fender offset brackets depending on how much more the fenders cover the tires (although only being 1.25" wider it might be ok).

For yours it would be nice if you could mount the fenders directly to the side of your trailer box (with no spacers); for me that's not really an option.

I'll have to do some measuring when I get home. It looks like with the additional 1.25" width it will bring it about to the edge of the tire. Here are pictures of it set up currently; maybe it will center the tire tread under the fenders now:
trailer-fender-drivers-side.jpg   trailer-fender-passenger-side.jpg  
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #809
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe something like one of these for you trailer Sahara707?

1. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...OME-_-Trailers + Trailer Parts>Trailer Fenders-_-12693

2. http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/Gal...nch_p_368.html

How wide do you need/want the fenders?
fender.png

fender.1.png

Unread 08-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #810
JKBender
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sorry in advance for the rant... but wanted to share my pain from this past weekend.

So I am headed out to the Badlands Off Road Park in Indy for Labor Day weekend and was spending this past weekend prepping my trailer. I was building a lid for it and wanted to go a step beyond the simple plywood cover. I got some Maple 1x2's to make an outer frame that the plywood sheet would fit inside of. I did this because I wanted a clean outside edge that would be very robust. Mable is a good hardwood, but OMG, the batteries for my drill are getting old, but I had to use 3 different size bits to get the hole up to size and only got 2 holes (with countersinks) per charge. it took the whole weekend of drill to holes-wait 2 hours-and repeat.

The end result was awesome, I have a very nice (but heavy) lid that is perfectly square. Square turned out to be my next issue, fitted the lid to the trailer and found that it really highlighted how out of square my trailer box is. Granted, each side is within a 1/4" of square, but it is off enough that my keyed latches would not work. Now to get some washers to try and shim everything square.

Sorry for the rant, but to those currently building a box, please learn from my pain... a 1/4" out of square is a lot once you try to build the lid.
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.