Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Reply
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #781
Sahara707
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 468
Congrats! Mine should should be here Friday

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #782
Deuskid
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: StL, Mo
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouacats View Post
I'm not planning on taking mine on that rough of trails, but hopefully, the modifications, as suggested by jscherb, made to the "heavy duty" HF trailer will keep this from happening.
what are the final dimensions for your frame? I was thinking of going the same route, 4x8 modified smaller and using salvaged parts to beef up the frame.

Like you, I'm not going to be going on extreme trails but would rather over-build from the start and never worry about a frame fail.

I'm still trying to determine what exactly I want. I'd like a box but want to be able to easily remove it for storage [I'm going to have to keep it on end in my 2 car garage with a car and a Jeep]. Also want a rack [jsherb posted a neat idea about that in his bolt-on thread yesterday]... anyway I digress....

Like you, I wonder if the modified, strengthen HF frame will be stout enough to avail failure?

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #783
azcat
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by switters88
Hello all. I posted on azcat's build page this morning and thought I'd pose a quick question over here as well. I'm building up a little 40x48 HF trailer and so far I have the floor and three walls built. However, I'm a little stuck on the tailgate. I was thinking of just building a wall and have it slide into the side walls using brackets. I just can't find any feasible options for this. I've searched Lowe's and Home Depot but can't find anything usable. If anyone has an opinion, please speak up! I've posted some pics..
What about cutting the rear posts flush on bottom so they don't go into pockets? Then use a large piano hinge to allow gate to drop down. Cables could be used to limit tailgate drop. Not to sure about latches on top but lots of gate hardware out there.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
azcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #784
gouacats
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid

what are the final dimensions for your frame? I was thinking of going the same route, 4x8 modified smaller and using salvaged parts to beef up the frame.

Like you, I'm not going to be going on extreme trails but would rather over-build from the start and never worry about a frame fail.

I'm still trying to determine what exactly I want. I'd like a box but want to be able to easily remove it for storage [I'm going to have to keep it on end in my 2 car garage with a car and a Jeep]. Also want a rack [jsherb posted a neat idea about that in his bolt-on thread yesterday]... anyway I digress....

Like you, I wonder if the modified, strengthen HF frame will be stout enough to avail failure?

John
My frame ended up being 40.5"x72". I'm actually planning on adding jschreb's military fiberglass tub eventually, so I followed his instructions:

http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/a...ad-119-31.html

I think it will be strong enough for the fire roads, mild trails that I'm planning on. I'm only planning to use it as a base camp trailer.
gouacats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #785
switters88
Member
 
switters88's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcat View Post
What about cutting the rear posts flush on bottom so they don't go into pockets? Then use a large piano hinge to allow gate to drop down. Cables could be used to limit tailgate drop. Not to sure about latches on top but lots of gate hardware out there.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
That's another great idea. I'll have to play around with it I suppose. I post some pics with whatever I come up with. Thanks!
__________________
2012 Wrangler JKU Sport
1998 Wrangler TJ
1989 Wrangler YJ (sold)
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
switters88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #786
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by switters88 View Post
That's another great idea. I'll have to play around with it I suppose. I post some pics with whatever I come up with. Thanks!
Suggestion: if you're doing anything with hinges and such, don't use wood screws to attach to the boards. Use bolts that go all the way through the boards and large washers.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #787
JKBender
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Algonquin, IL
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
Making progress. Finished the wiring, put on the diamond plate floor and loosely put up two side panels.


Complete build here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/a...build-1558519/
Thought I would just ask if you had an update... first metal box on this thread and all. Did you ever get the trailer all done? What do you think so fare, have you been able to use it?
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #788
Sahara707
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBender View Post
Thought I would just ask if you had an update... first metal box on this thread and all. Did you ever get the trailer all done? What do you think so fare, have you been able to use it?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/a...build-1558519/
Scroll back a little and you'll see the finished pictures. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. The metal box is very solid. I haven't pulled the trailer, I've checked the lights. My receiver on my truck has a 2" ball. I have a 1 7/8" BALL for the trailer but I was waiting to get my jeep back from the shop to buy the right drop of a receiver. Now I have the new wider, 5-lug axle coming and that will change the receiver type also. There's some pictures of the new tire and rim next to the original. I Think the diamond plate steel floor will also help in the strength of the trailer frame, due to the 3/8 bolts holding it down in the corners, sides and center. Check it out. Thanks
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #789
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/a...build-1558519/
Scroll back a little and you'll see the finished pictures. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. The metal box is very solid. I haven't pulled the trailer, I've checked the lights. My receiver on my truck has a 2" ball. I have a 1 7/8" BALL for the trailer but I was waiting to get my jeep back from the shop to buy the right drop of a receiver. Now I have the new wider, 5-lug axle coming and that will change the receiver type also. There's some pictures of the new tire and rim next to the original. I Think the diamond plate steel floor will also help in the strength of the trailer frame, due to the 3/8 bolts holding it down in the corners, sides and center. Check it out. Thanks
If your diamond plate flooring is like mine, it also has some reinforcements welded underneath to give the floor extra strength. So the flooring isn't just a sheet of diamond plate like you would buy at a sheet-metal supply place.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #790
JKBender
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Algonquin, IL
Posts: 91
I thought I would share this video that was made by a guy in another forum that I am a member of. This is the first video is a series that is documenting an expedition trip through Colorado. Since about half the rigs are pulling trailers (though high end ones) I thought it might be very inspiring for everyone.


In case the link gets broken:
Channel = Mark Doiron
Title = Colorado Campaign, Jul 13, Part 1
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #791
Sahara707
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBender View Post
I thought I would share this video that was made by a guy in another forum that I am a member of. This is the first video is a series that is documenting an expedition trip through Colorado. Since about half the rigs are pulling trailers (though high end ones) I thought it might be very inspiring for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFjr3hSzEu4

In case the link gets broken:
Channel = Mark Doiron
Title = Colorado Campaign, Jul 13, Part 1
Good Video, Is part 2 on you tube? Thanks!
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #792
JKBender
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Algonquin, IL
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
Good Video, Is part 2 on you tube? Thanks!
Not yet, but he does have a good series on his spring trip to Moab (5 or 6 videos I think).
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #793
NMBruce
Member
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , SW Colorado
Posts: 308
Mark does some great pictures & videos on the expedition modded Jeep thread
__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #794
pentaflex
Member
 
pentaflex's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by switters88 View Post
Hello all. I posted on azcat's build page this morning and thought I'd pose a quick question over here as well. I'm building up a little 40x48 HF trailer and so far I have the floor and three walls built. However, I'm a little stuck on the tailgate. I was thinking of just building a wall and have it slide into the side walls using brackets. I just can't find any feasible options for this. I've searched Lowe's and Home Depot but can't find anything usable. If anyone has an opinion, please speak up! I've posted some pics..
There are several ways to add a tailgate. In my case, I just used a couple large hinges. And as ArmyRN suggested, be sure to use bolts (not just wood screws) to attach them. It is also important to brace it across the top if you plan to add a top and intend to go off road. Otherwise, the top will shimmy back and forth. You can see pics in post #215 and a video of mine in post #638.

P.S. I just returned after being away a while so sorry if the question has already been answered.
pentaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #795
switters88
Member
 
switters88's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 151
Thanks everybody for the replies. I found some corner brace brackets online and think I'll try these out first. If those don't line up how I like I think I'll go with the hinge at the bottom of the tailgate. I'll post some pics when complete.
__________________
2012 Wrangler JKU Sport
1998 Wrangler TJ
1989 Wrangler YJ (sold)
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
switters88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.