Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 48 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Reply
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #706
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,290
There are a couple of reasons we put taller tires on our trailers:

1. More clearance under the axle
2. Since Jeeps are generally tall, it brings the trailer height closer to the height of the hitch
3. A wider stance (needed to put taller/wider tires on a trailer) increases stability
4. It just looks better with taller tires (Jeeps and trailers!).

But one often overlooked reason is this: it keeps the bearings running slower and cooler. So I did some quick math relating to how many times the bearing spins per mile based on tire size (circumference). Tire specs I got from a trailer tire web page. Check this out:

One mile = 5280 feet = 63360 inches.
Tire height (diameter) x pi (3.1415926) = circumference.
63360 / circumference = rotations per mile.

8" wheel with 4.8x8" tire = 16.1" tall = 50.6" circumference = 1252 rotations/mile. At 60 MPH that means the bearing is spinning 1252 rpm (rotations per minute).

12" wheel with 4.8x12" tire = 20.5" tall = 64.4" circumference = 984 rotations/mile. At 60 MPH that means the bearing is spinning 984 rpm.

13" wheel with 175/80D/13" tire = 24" tall = 75.4" circumference = 840 rotations/mile. At 60 MPH that means the bearing is spinning 840 rpm.

15" wheel with 205/75D/15" tire - 27.4" tall = 86.1" circumference = 736 rotations/mile. At 60 MPH that means the bearing is spinning 736 rpm.

15-16" wheel with a 32" tall tire (sorry; most 33" tires actually measure out to 32") = 100.5" circumference = 630 rotations/mile. At 60 MPH that means the bearing is spinning 630 rpm. That's HALF the speed of a trailer with an 8" rim and tire.

So you're doing your trailer a favor by getting taller tires; you're helping the bearings to run slower and hopefully run cooler prolonging bearing life. Tire tread should also last longer because they're turning slower. It's a win-win all the way around.

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #707
bobdog
Senior Member
 
bobdog's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
There are a couple of reasons we put taller tires on our trailers:

1. More clearance under the axle
2. Since Jeeps are generally tall, it brings the trailer height closer to the height of the hitch
3. A wider stance (needed to put taller/wider tires on a trailer) increases stability
4. It just looks better with taller tires (Jeeps and trailers!).

But one often overlooked reason is this: it keeps the bearings running slower and cooler. So I did some quick math relating to how many times the bearing spins per mile based on tire size (circumference). Tire specs I got from a trailer tire web page. Check this out:

One mile = 5280 feet = 63360 inches.
Tire height (diameter) x pi (3.1415926) = circumference.
63360 / circumference = rotations per mile.

8" wheel with 4.8x8" tire = 16.1" tall = 50.6" circumference = 1252 rotations/mile. At 60 MPH that means the bearing is spinning 1252 rpm (rotations per minute).

12" wheel with 4.8x12" tire = 20.5" tall = 64.4" circumference = 984 rotations/mile. At 60 MPH that means the bearing is spinning 984 rpm.

13" wheel with 175/80D/13" tire = 24" tall = 75.4" circumference = 840 rotations/mile. At 60 MPH that means the bearing is spinning 840 rpm.

15" wheel with 205/75D/15" tire - 27.4" tall = 86.1" circumference = 736 rotations/mile. At 60 MPH that means the bearing is spinning 736 rpm.

15" wheel with a 32" tire (sorry; most 33" tires actually measure out to 32") = 100.5" circumference = 630 rotations/mile. At 60 MPT that means the bearing is spinning 630 rpm.

So you're doing your trailer a favor by getting taller tires; you're helping the bearings to run slower and hopefully run cooler prolonging bearing life. Tire tread should also last longer because they're turning slower. It's a win-win all the way around.
Nice Job AR. Nice Job!
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...-sort-1209834/


Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #708
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,290
I got this email from Harbor Freight when I inquired about a replacement hub and bearings:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting us regarding parts for your Harbor Freight item.

We are currently experiencing a higher than normal volume of emails. Your parts inquiry is important to us and we will respond to it as quickly as possible.

If you need immediate assistance, please call our Customer Service Team at 1-800-444-3353, Monday thru Saturday, 5am to 9pm (PST), or Sunday, 6am to 6pm (PST).

We appreciate your patience and thank you for your business.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Harbor Freight Tools
3491 Mission Oaks Blvd
Camarillo, CA 93012


And this isn't intended to be critical of Harbor Freight (I like Harbor Freight) - I'm just following up from when I contacted them yesterday (around lunchtime their time). If/when I get a response specifically regarding the parts I'll let you know.

EDIT: I contacted them on Monday. Today is the following Saturday and still no email response.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #709
NMBruce
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , SW Colorado
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
I think I will need to look at other ideas, than the bear box.
talked to the guys at MadCow metal works and they are telling me that they can not build a 41x60x28 box, what they said "I don't think that is going to work for the configuration how are Boxes and Lids are made.", but they gave ArmyRN a price of $950 and they also said that they can not build a tail gate, so how important is a tailgate?
Got a new reply form MadCow Metal Works and if I dont want a tail gate then there is no problem. "Large Custom Box with Key Locks will cost $975." so they are back in the running
__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #710
Deuskid
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: StL, Mo
Posts: 615
trailer laws by state

found this website that gives summaries of trailer brake laws by state

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/

and then, if you click on the state's name, it hyper-links you to another page giving more info for that state. Here is the Mo. info page linked from the above link as an example:

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/category/...laws/missouri/

Thought it might help others wondering [I live on the MO/IL border so need to know both states' laws].

john
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #711
Phoenix07013
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 15
Last camping trip was another success.
One issue, the "crap" we "needed" nearly tripled, I think my GF embraced the idea of the trailer and ran with it
Here are some pics






Time for bigger tires...
Phoenix07013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #712
Sahara707
Member
 
Sahara707's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 482
A fan? Do you have a generator too?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/amor-rex-inc-off-road-trailer-build-1558519/"]Amour Rex Off-Road Trailer Build[/URL]
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #713
Sahara707
Member
 
Sahara707's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 482
First Step

I'm going with the DEIEQUIPMENT Black Trailer. Phase one will be trailer, floor, bed and front support. Roughly 527 + shipping & tax. What happen to a H.F. 200 trailer? There could be cost cutting, but this will all bolt together and Viola. Going camping with the jeep and family.

2nd phase would be the axle, extra hub and tires & rims. 365 + shipping & tax. estimate give or take 500. Thanks to armyRN for all the good advice!
trailer-258.jpg

bed-168.jpg

floor-80.jpg

bed-trailer.jpg

axle-149.jpg

tire-rim-79.jpg

frontstand-21.jpg

Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #714
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
I'm going with the DEIEQUIPMENT Black Trailer. Phase one will be trailer, floor, bed and front support. Roughly 527 + shipping & tax. What happen to a H.F. 200 trailer? There could be cost cutting, but this will all bolt together and Viola. Going camping with the jeep and family.

2nd phase would be the axle, extra hub and tires & rims. 365 + shipping & tax. estimate give or take 500. Thanks to armyRN for all the good advice!
You're welcome.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of Phase one and two. You'll have to tell us your opinion on the quality of materials for the box, how sturdy you think it is, etc. I think you'll be the first (on this thread anyways) for getting the black trailer and corresponding box kit. Got a plan for a lid? You will really like the front support bracket - it sounds weird but I almost don't know how I got along without one after I got it. They have two - make sure you get the one for the trailer with the 12" tires.

I like your plan - all bolt-together and go! Once you get the wider axle and wheels you'll just have to raise the fenders up to clear the tires (easy enough to do), but that's really the only fabrication stuff you'll need to do with your trailer plan.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #715
Phoenix07013
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
A fan? Do you have a generator too?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Not yet, but in the works, looking to get one of the super quiet ones, I've got one considered from the local Costco. As of now, when camping with the GF we only go to what I call deluxe camping sites with all the amenities available. I'd like to add, my GF's idea of camping prior to me was to stay at a nearby hotel and visit the campsite during the day, so it is a big accomplishment to get her out in a tent and "roughing it". Even then this is what I found in our last outing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
I'm going with the DEIEQUIPMENT Black Trailer. Phase one will be trailer, floor, bed and front support. Roughly 527 + shipping & tax. What happen to a H.F. 200 trailer? There could be cost cutting, but this will all bolt together and Viola. Going camping with the jeep and family.

2nd phase would be the axle, extra hub and tires & rims. 365 + shipping & tax. estimate give or take 500. Thanks to armyRN for all the good advice!
That seems like a very concrete and well thought out plan. Looking forward to seeing it. Personally I'm extremely happy with my little red trailer. I was able to use a 25% off coupon for the 4th of July to get the 1000lbs rated trailer just a tad under $180, factor in hardware, and lumber and I'm still just over $400. If I had experience welding I would have gone that route, and I figured I'd be under that, overall I'm very happy with the results.

Now that I've got close to 1000 miles on the trailer, I've changed a few priorities in my to do list.
Next is axle, wheels, and tires, followed by a community college welding class, at which point I'll replace the main tow support with a longer one that extends the length of the trailer, braced by an A-frame support.
Phoenix07013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #716
gouacats
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07013
Last camping trip was another success.
One issue, the "crap" we "needed" nearly tripled, I think my GF embraced the idea of the trailer and ran with it
Here are some pics

Time for bigger tires...
I here ya! I can't believe how much stuff we take for a weekend camping trip when it's the 4 of us! If it's just me, I get by with just about what can fit in a backpack.
gouacats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #717
JKBender
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Algonquin, IL
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07013 View Post
Not yet, but in the works, looking to get one of the super quiet ones, I've got one considered from the local Costco. As of now, when camping with the GF we only go to what I call deluxe camping sites with all the amenities available. I'd like to add, my GF's idea of camping prior to me was to stay at a nearby hotel and visit the campsite during the day, so it is a big accomplishment to get her out in a tent and "roughing it". Even then this is what I found in our last outing
.
I keep telling my wife that the bugs would bite her less if she would just leave all the makeup at home... but the reality is that typically, the kids and I just end up going without her anyways because a Holiday Inn is "roughing it" to her.
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #718
JKBender
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Algonquin, IL
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07013 View Post
Now that I've got close to 1000 miles on the trailer, I've changed a few priorities in my to do list.
Next is axle, wheels, and tires, followed by a community college welding class, at which point I'll replace the main tow support with a longer one that extends the length of the trailer, braced by an A-frame support.
Honestly, you do not need to do any welding on the HF trailer to fit a longer tung. Just buy a piece of tube that is 2.5x2.5" rectangle with a .250" wall that is the length you want. drill the holes that match up to how the factory piece was installed (including the rear cross member if you run it all the way to the back for a rear receiver. For the bracing, just get some 2x2 angle and you can bolt it in place similar to how the black trailers are put together (or use Chanel stock for a little more support).
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #719
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,290
I sent the following email on Tuesday, 23 July to Harbor Freight:
I've got a 4x8 nonfolding trailer part # 94564. I'm lookingfor a replacement hub (#18) and a set of bearings (#20).
Do you stock these parts?
How much are they?

I got a response today (Monday, 29 July)

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

The bearings can be ordered by contacting our Inbound Sales department at 1-800-423-2567. They are available 24 hours aday, 7 days a week.

SKU# Part# Description Price (plus tax& shipping)

28735 18 90153 BEARING (30205) 1 PC $11.99 each

The hub requires special ordering, and will take approximately 6-8 weeks to get. You can order the hub by contacting us at 1-800-444-3353. We are available Monday through Saturday, 5:00 am – 9:00 pm, Sunday 6:00 am – 6:00 pm PST.

LN# Part# Description Price (plus tax &shipping)

56 18 HUB $18.50 each

We greatly appreciate your business.

Ernesto
Harbor Freight Tools
Product Support

3491 Mission Oaks Blvd
Camarillo , CA 93012
Phone: 1.888.866.5797
Monday-Friday 6AM-6PM (PST)
HARBORFREIGHT TOOLS
Quality Tools at Ridiculously Low Prices


As previously mentioned in a earlier post, the bearing number 30205 should be available at any auto parts store. And if you get the HF 4x8' trailer, these are the 5 on 4.5 hubs that come with the trailer. I don't know what shipping is, but it's a good insurance to have a spare hub (to go with your spare bearing) no matter where you purchase it from.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #720
BSC
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Posts: 68
Another camping and off-roading trip



BSC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.