Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 45 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #661
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
with the 48x96 trailer, it obviously has an A-frame tongue. Would you all run a tube down the center for strength? Also, with using ARMYRN's adaptable hitch set up and looking at the set up on the harbor freight trailer, it looks like you would have significant rise to the tongue. Does that make sense? From the factory the harbor freight trailer has "one step up" to the stock hitch, with ARMYRN's you would have the factory step up, plus the custom piece. Any concerns?
With the A-frame tongue, it seems like it would be even easier to make a 2" receiver tongue adapter. Get a piece of 1/4" to 3/8" thick steel plate, cut it so it is the same pattern as the base of the factory coupler "thingy" (it's sorta triangle shaped with the top point cut off), and weld a 2" receiver to the top. Drill mounting holes, prime and paint, and bolt it on where the factory piece would go.

The resulting rise with the 2" receiver tube should be the same as the factory ball coupler's rise, and the additional rise comes in handy.

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #662
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcarlgolden View Post
First I want to thank you for your service to our country. Our military are our true heros. I also want to say thanks to your dedication to your career, my mother was an RN with her MSN and taught Nursing for 12 years. I know how hard nurses work. I know your tread is now a couple of years old, but I just came across it and enjoy reading it. I have 2 trailers my self. Both are still pretty much bare stock frames. One I got off my brother and it is a small 4x5 (maybe) and the other is larger more like 5x8. I got the larger one by luck. The PO came thru drive-thru at a restaurant I managed. They were hauling a golf cart and cut the curve to sharp and ran it up on the curb. Well they busted the axle. They left it in the parking lot, next day they came back for the golf cart and left the trailer. Well am 1.5 months later the owners told me to get it out of their parking lot. Since the PO never left any contact info with the restaurant we considered it abandoned. Hauled it home and started making repairs. I never was able to find a vin on it so I went to the tag office and filed all the papers for a home built trailer. Now since I have 2 I can have one for all general hauling around the house (trash runs, supply runs, etc) and I can trick out the other one for a custom camping supply trailer. I look forward to continue reading the rest of the tread to get more great ideas. Great job on all of the mods, and great job on the wright ups. Once I figure out which trailer I am going to modify I will start a tread of my own. First I need to finish yours so I get all the tips and tricks.
Thanks for the compliments. I've been an Army nurse for almost 25 years now, and that includes twice to Iraq and now currently in Afghanistan. Thank goodness for the internet! It keeps me connected.

Did you ever see that HBO special "Baghdad ER"? I'm in it; that was my unit (86th CSH) when I was there in 2005. Of course, I was the Head Nurse of one of the ICUs, and since it wasn't called "Baghdad ICU" I'm only seen in the background for a few seconds in one of their scenes (during morning report). It's my claim to fame anyways, and I'm clinging to it... that and this trailer thread.

Cool trailer story. I'm looking forward to pictures and a write-up on your "custom camping trailer". I think that's what most of us are building our trailers for - camping. I know that's what mine has been almost exclusively used for. Once you're done reading all 40-something pages you should be a little-trailer expert. Take it and run with it! And definitely post a link on here to your trailer build thread so we can go check it out.
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #663
gouacats
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26
with the 48x96 trailer, it obviously has an A-frame tongue. Would you all run a tube down the center for strength?
I did...I followed jschreb's instructions here, starting with post 304, IIRC:
http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/t...post-2158.html

Very clear instructions and easy to follow.
gouacats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #664
JKBender
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
Thanks Paul, that why I am asking,
Seems like doing 2" on each side would give me the clearance need for larger tires, still give me a 46" box, tread width of about 60" to be close to the JK's and an overall width of 62" or about 10" less than the JK

Anyone else?
Personally, I like the trailer track width to be a little narrower than my Jeep's track width. My logic is this:

I live in the Chicago area, so all of my camping is in heavily forested areas (Michigan and Wisconsin mostly), and the trails are mostly cut by quads and snowmobiles making for very tight and twisty trails. When turning, the tires of the trailer turn in a tighter arc than the rear tires of the Jeep (think of semi trailers hopping the trailer tires over the curb when making right hand turns). This poses a problem when in the woods (even on easy trails) and definitely on more challenging trails. Just because your rear end clears a tree in a tight turn, it is not necessarily going to mean that the trailer will also clear that same tree... you need to make wider turns with the trailer. So, by using a trailer that has a narrower track width, you will increase your likelihood of clearing the tree in tight turns.
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #665
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBender View Post
Personally, I like the trailer track width to be a little narrower than my Jeep's track width. My logic is this:

I live in the Chicago area, so all of my camping is in heavily forested areas (Michigan and Wisconsin mostly), and the trails are mostly cut by quads and snowmobiles making for very tight and twisty trails. When turning, the tires of the trailer turn in a tighter arc than the rear tires of the Jeep (think of semi trailers hopping the trailer tires over the curb when making right hand turns). This poses a problem when in the woods (even on easy trails) and definitely on more challenging trails. Just because your rear end clears a tree in a tight turn, it is not necessarily going to mean that the trailer will also clear that same tree... you need to make wider turns with the trailer. So, by using a trailer that has a narrower track width, you will increase your likelihood of clearing the tree in tight turns.

thanks, makes sense
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #666
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBender View Post

Excellent explanation. That's why I'm glad my trailer is narrower than my Jeep.

You'll also increase your likelihood of clearing those big steel and concrete posts they put at the ends of the gas pumps at the gas stations!
trailer-suspension-done-012.jpg  
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #667
hcarlgolden
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My Trailer Build

Well I have started my own trailer build. I am starting before I even decide on which of my 2 trailers I am going to modify. I have a 4x5 and a 5x8. I got a set of fenders off of my brother. Both trailers need fenders so I am starting. Granted these fenders are not the best but the best part about these fenders is there price. Free. They do have a little rust so before I install them on either of my trailers I have to do a little work. It will be a lot easier to do now then when it is on the trailer. I still have not decided if I am going to weld them on or try and bolt on. If I choose the larger trailer it is going to be a PIMA to drill out holes to slide bolts thru. My brother has welders (gas, arc,or mig). Now the rust issues dont bother me. I am not planing on chroming them or anything. I just want to clean it down, treat the big issues, stiffening it a bit and get a clean heavy coat of paint. At that time I will make the big decision of which trailer is the lucky contestent. Both fenders were in same condition (basically) what you see is one before and after stripping it down. Note: The 2year old foot in the photo will not be modified.
Blue Jeep Club Member #384
It's a Jeep, If I wanted a Hummer I would have called your sister.
hcarlgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #668
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Get some Por-15, it's great stuff to take care of the rust and protect the fenders
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #669
hcarlgolden
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Get some Por-15, it's great stuff to take care of the rust and protect the fenders
Have never heard of it. Thanks for the tip.
Blue Jeep Club Member #384
It's a Jeep, If I wanted a Hummer I would have called your sister.
hcarlgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #670
Phoenix07013
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm impressed. Took the basic trailer camping a week or so ago, 500+ mile trip, the dog had a great time, with all his new found space in the jeep (Basically the reason why I wanted a trailer). Didn't even notice it was there and mileage was basically unaffected. Only issue had to deal with my minimalistic mirrors for driving without the doors, and the minuscule size of the trailer. Backing up involved opening the door to look behind. Once the sides are done I don't think this will be an issue.

I've just got a few odds and ends to figure out(latches, fold down gate v. lift out, wiring sleeves, etc) but overall I'm very happy with this little trailer. In a couple of weeks I'll be ordering the new axle, wheels, and tires. After that, springs, the hitch, lid, a rack for the lid, and various mounts for gas cans, hi-lift, etc.

Thanks everybody for all your thoughts and ideas.
Phoenix07013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #671
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07013 View Post
I'm impressed. Took the basic trailer camping a week or so ago, 500+ mile trip, the dog had a great time, with all his new found space in the jeep (Basically the reason why I wanted a trailer). Didn't even notice it was there and mileage was basically unaffected. Only issue had to deal with my minimalistic mirrors for driving without the doors, and the minuscule size of the trailer. Backing up involved opening the door to look behind. Once the sides are done I don't think this will be an issue.

I've just got a few odds and ends to figure out(latches, fold down gate v. lift out, wiring sleeves, etc) but overall I'm very happy with this little trailer. In a couple of weeks I'll be ordering the new axle, wheels, and tires. After that, springs, the hitch, lid, a rack for the lid, and various mounts for gas cans, hi-lift, etc.

Sounds like you're hooked on a mini/micro trailer now. Excellent! They are fun aren't they? Now just keep modding it until you have to buy another one and start all over. It's like Lego blocks. Build 'em, tear 'em apart and build 'em all over again.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #672
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Excellent; glad it worked out for you. You only have to take the trailer camping once to realize how handy they are.

We need pictures (trailer, Jeep and trailer, camping pics, etc.) so we can see the the trailer before you get into round II. If you can't post them, send me a PM and I'll tell you where to send them and I'll post them for you.

Oh, and fill out your profile.

What size axle and tire size are you going with?
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #673
Phoenix07013
2009 JK Wrangler 

Didn't put pics of the base, just because I thought you've seen one, seen 'em all, (plus my rigging of straps and tie downs, and tarp looked a little ridiculous) but I will tomorrow once I get the sides up.

I'm going with this axle
http://kmtparts.com/axles-spring-mou...-lbs-axle.html
Tires I'm still debating on, and I'm interested to know what you think.
Like I've mentioned before, I really like the look of Pentaflex's trailer, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I attribute a lot of the bouncing we saw in his videos to the increase in mass of the unsprung weight, the tires, so with that in mind, I think I'm going to stick to 205/75 16s which will also be kinder to my wallet. Down the road I may think of getting something specific for off road.
I foresee using this trailer mainly for camping, and long trips, not much trail running, so tire size and ground clearance won't be much of an issue, but who knows that may change one day, which is also the reasoning behind going with a 54" hub face axle, to have the flexibility of running sensible trailer tires on a regular, and maybe have a set for off road.
Phoenix07013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #674
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Didn't put pics of the base, just because I thought you've seen one, seen 'em all, (plus my rigging of straps and tie downs, and tarp looked a little ridiculous) but I will tomorrow once I get the sides up.

I'm going with this axle
http://kmtparts.com/axles-spring-mou...-lbs-axle.html
Tires I'm still debating on, and I'm interested to know what you think.
Like I've mentioned before, I really like the look of Pentaflex's trailer, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I attribute a lot of the bouncing we saw in his videos to the increase in mass of the unsprung weight, the tires, so with that in mind, I think I'm going to stick to 205/75 16s which will also be kinder to my wallet. Down the road I may think of getting something specific for off road.
I foresee using this trailer mainly for camping, and long trips, not much trail running, so tire size and ground clearance won't be much of an issue, but who knows that may change one day, which is also the reasoning behind going with a 54" hub face axle, to have the flexibility of running sensible trailer tires on a regular, and maybe have a set for off road.
Sounds like a plan.

Your axle choice looks plenty stout. Make sure you get it without a bend in it. You will never put enough weight in your little trailer to flatten out the bend (especially on the axle you're looking at). Plus this way if you decide to swap out your suspension and put the axle above the springs you won't have to remount the spring mounts.

I think Pentaflex's trailer bounced not because of his tires but because the factory springs are too stiff. Mine was bouncy too - I think it's just a combination of overly stiff slipper springs, a short tongue, and the fact we put more bulk than weight in our little trailers (and maybe a little too much air in the tires). They need to be swapped out for some softer, longer springs with a shackle at one end. It's a bolt-on affair, and the write-up is on this forum. It should decrease the bounce (and raise your trailer up a tad).

Unlike passenger car tires, trailer tires are designed to be drug around be beat on stuff. I've got Loadstar Bias Ply ST 205/75D/15 load range C tires on 15x5" Dexstar rims on my trailer. These tires are rated at 1820 lbs - I'm pretty sure I'm not overloading them! I'm very happy with them. With the wider replacement axle I got (51.25" hub to hub) it provides a little more than an inch clearance between these tires' sidewalls and the side of the trailer. With your 54" axle, in addition to some 205's you should be able to easily mount some 225/75/15" (rated at 2150 lbs) or maybe even 235/75/15" tires on 15x6" trailer rims (if you wanted to). Unlike factory Jeep rims (which are really tucked in), trailer rims have zero offset - there's the same amount sticking out as there is facing inwards. And they run around low $30's to low $40's per wheel for painted 15" steel trailer wheels. Stay away from the 14" wheels and tires - they're an odd size; stick with a 15" tire and rim.

I figure the wider and heavier the trailer tires are, the more drag they cause. Whether it's statistically significant I don't know. But I've got a four cylinder TJ, so anything I can do to decrease drag from the trailer I figure is a good thing. The axle and 205 tires on my trailer help keep it narrow (good for off-road), and I've still got thee more inches of clearance under my trailer's axle than I do under the pumpkin of my Jeep's Dana 44 (with 33" tires). And the 205 tire isn't so big that I can't mount it on the trailer as a spare.

For reference purposes (as usual; shop around for the best price):

http://recstuff.com/15-Inch-Trailer-...ssemblies.aspx (good reference for height/width of trailer tires)

http://www.easternmarine.com/14-15-a...iler-Tire-Rim/ (another good reference for height/width of trailer tires)

http://www.easternmarine.com/st205-7...re-painted-rim (205/75D/15" load range C mounted on 15" rims for $79.99)

http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wh...r/AM20548.html (these are my 15x5" silver painted rims in case you're interested - I just didn't want white rims on my trailer so I paid a little extra for silver - goes nice against the black trailer - I believe they also sell them in black - may be special order)

Soapbox: get three tire/wheel combo's so you have a spare; and when you order your axle order a spare hub and bearing set (they're not expensive). Do you really want to leave your trailer with all your gear parked on the side of the road or trail while you try and track down a spare tire or set of bearings? On a weekend? Or have to leave someone with the trailer while you try and track down a spare tire or set of bearings? If you're taking your trailer camping chances are you're out away from civilization. Trailers are pretty simple things; if something is going to go wrong and stop forward progress, the vast majority of the time it's either a tire issue or a bearing issue - be prepared for both - keep your spare tire and bearings/hub with your trailer at all times.

End soapbox.
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #675
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Started some drawing last night, that is what got me going on the size question. Trailers like Sierra and others are just too much $$$$ for me and I do not need it.
This trailer will be used when I take people with me camping, or on trips like the Alaska trip coming up. I think that I need to start working on it now or this fall.

*I think the size to go with the 41" x 60" x 24" box,
*about 205/75/15 tires to a little larger,
*2000-2500lbs axle,
*about 1500lbs springs (total).
*The BIG question for me is "madcow metalworks" or T&G wood (with 2" metal corners & top rail)??????
*I think a lid that can be rotated/flip 180degs to make a table would be nice & a rear tail gate to lift out the big/heavy stuff, like the Yeti cooler. (the tailgate could be a lift out)
*The tongue long enough to carry a propane tank, water tank, and a small box for straps & stuff, not sure about where to put the spare ????. Reading about Bob's trailer and I think he had a 48" tongue, but too long of a tongue and it could be a problem on a trail & switchbacks.
*Trailer hitch hookup, 2" receiver so that I could change out the type or remove it completely for security reason.

My reasons for asking the question, because there is so much information/ideas here and it is hard to find or very time consuming. As with last night, tonight or this coming week, I will go back through it again and copy & paste in a note/word document the ideas I like and improvements you and others have made, so that I can find the information easily as I design & build the trailer.
I think I will need to look at other ideas, than the bear box.
talked to the guys at MadCow metal works and they are telling me that they can not build a 41x60x28 box, what they said "I don't think that is going to work for the configuration how are Boxes and Lids are made.", but they gave ArmyRN a price of $950 and they also said that they can not build a tail gate, so how important is a tailgate?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.