Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 43 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap Skid

Unread 07-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #631
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
My primary concern with that trailer is the fact that it's not an A frame trailer. Have you had any issues with torquing the trailer tongue? Any easy fixes to make this into an A frame trailer?
Easy fixes include some angle iron (attached as shown below in the last picture), or just buy one of these little black trailers as opposed to the HF red trailer.

http://www.deiequipment.com/armor-re...res-black.html

A properly set-up flexible hitch will also help out greatly to decrease "torquing" of the trailer's tongue. I use a lunette ring and pintle hitch on mine. Putting a 2" receiver tube at the front end of your trailer's tongue will give you more options (plus will extend your trailer's tongue a good foot and maybe a little more). And you can still use a regular ball mount with a receiver up front (second picture).

pintle-hitch-set-up.jpg   trailer-ball-mount.jpg  
black-trailer.jpg

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #632
gouacats
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26
My primary concern with that trailer is the fact that it's not an A frame trailer. Have you had any issues with torquing the trailer tongue? Any easy fixes to make this into an A frame trailer?
If you build a 4' box (or 6') out of the 4'x8' trailer, you will also end up with an A-frame.
gouacats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #633
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN

Easy fixes include some angle iron (attached as shown below in second picture), or just buy one of these little black trailers as opposed to the HF red trailer.

A properly set-up flexible hitch will also help out greatly. I use a lunette ring and pintle hitch on mine. Putting a 2" receiver tube at the end of your trailer's tongue will give you more options.
I do like there steel box.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
image-2664007873.jpg

Sahara707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #634
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post

I do like there steel box.

Wheres that box from?
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #635
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is a neat little thread.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #636
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26

Wheres that box from?
www.deiequipment.com Follow the link above for the black trailer. They also have some stands for the back. Stabilizers. I haven't started my trailer project, there's a lot of great ideas here.

I do want matching rims and tires for mine.

image-539154769.jpg

Unread 07-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #637
atomikchicken
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dynabeads or air soft BBs make those tires run true and you can start mounting your tires at home. I will post pictures of my newest little trailer shortly.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #638
pentaflex

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Lessons learned (with video and pics)

Last weekend I was working on my trailer and decided to do a video "walk around" of it. It's rather long as I tend to ramble -- about 20 minutes -- but hopefully it will give others some ideas.

[Some problems with the link below so just cut/paste.]

>>>http://youtu.be/fnUs4grX8pw<<<

[Or try this one]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnUs4grX8pw

After the updates and mods completed last weekend, I took her out for a couple days. She definitely performed better than last year. I'm pretty happy with the current state, though I do have a couple more comments.

In the video, I mention going with smaller tires. But I think I'll wait until I replace the springs and raise it an inch or two. Although ground clearance under the axle is not a problem, I don't want the hitch to go any lower. When you're articulating over major obstacles, you don't want the hitch going down into the dirt.

The pic below is from Grizzly Lake (Colorado). To get here, you have to go over some large obstacles, rock steps, and boulder fields. I didn't have any trouble with the standard ball hitch, but it is a bit noisy. I'd like to replace it with a 3-axis hitch as others have shown earlier in this thread.

The other thing I need to figure out is how to carry eggs. Although the ice chest and other gear stayed put, the contents inside the ice chest jostled around, and all my eggs broke. Imagine lifting your trailer about a foot off the ground and dropping it a dozen times. I need to work on that one.

In any case, this is a journey. The great thing about these trailers is there are always options and improvements to be made.
img_0167-sm.jpg   img_0170-sm.jpg  
pentaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #639
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Easy fixes include some angle iron (attached as shown below in the last picture), or just buy one of these little black trailers as opposed to the HF red trailer.

A properly set-up flexible hitch will also help out greatly. I use a lunette ring and pintle hitch on mine. Putting a 2" receiver tube at the front end of your trailer's tongue will give you more options. And you can still use a regular ball mount with a receiver up front (second picture).
Just for everyone's information, the larger one 50x62 is out of stock
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #640
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaflex View Post
Last weekend I was working on my trailer and decided to do a video "walk around" of it. It's rather long as I tend to ramble -- about 20 minutes -- but hopefully it will give others some ideas.

[Some problems with the video URL. Just cut/paste.]

>>>http://youtu.be/fnUs4grX8pw<<<

After the updates and mods completed last weekend, I took her out for a couple days. She definitely performed better than last year. I'm pretty happy with the current state, though I do have a couple more comments.

In the video, I mention going with smaller tires. But I think I'll wait until I replace the springs and raise it an inch or two. Although ground clearance under the axle is not a problem, I don't want the hitch to go any lower. When you're articulating over major obstacles, you don't want the hitch going down into the dirt.

The pic below is from Grizzly Lake (Colorado). To get here, you have to go over some large obstacles, rock steps, and boulder fields. I didn't have any trouble with the standard ball hitch, but it is a bit noisy. I'd like to replace it with a 3-axis hitch as others have shown earlier in this thread.

The other thing I need to figure out is how to carry eggs. Although the ice chest and other gear stayed put, the contents inside the ice chest jostled around, and all my eggs broke. Imagine lifting your trailer about a foot off the ground and dropping it a dozen times. I need to work on that one.

In any case, this is a journey. The great thing about these trailers is there are always options and improvements to be made.
Awesome pictures! It's so cool seeing these little trailers out on the trail - we need more pictures of these trailers off pavement. I'm glad it's working out so well for you.

Way earlier in this thread I showed how to make a 2" receiver adapter to mount on your trailer's tongue. Not only will it allow you to use a 3-axis hitch, but till then it'll allow you to raise your drop hitch up a good bit (and extend the length of your trailer's tongue). I don't know how to weld, so I went to a shop with a 12" long 2" receiver piece and a design, and we rummaged through his stock of square tubing till we found what would work, cut a few angles (only partly for aesthetics), cut a strip out of the bottom of the square tubing and welded it up. I went home, slid it on the trailer's tongue, marked where I needed to drill the holes in my adapter, and then painted/mounted it up.

This link and the pictures below should explain it more fully. It's worked out great for me, and as shown in post #631 (top of this page) I can still use the ball mount if I need to, or a lunette ring/pintle hitch (my choice for off-road). Maybe one of these days I'll get a 3-axis hitch, but I really like the convenience of the pintle hitch.

Building the hitch: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post13073597

Benefits of pintle over hitch-ball (range of movement measurements) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post13293141

Making hitch quieter http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post13458430
hitch-mod-1.jpg   hitch-mod-2.jpg  
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #641
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

whats the purpose of cutting the bottom portion of the reciever stock?
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #642
pentaflex

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Way earlier in this thread I showed how to make a 2" receiver adapter to mount on your trailer's tongue. Not only will it allow you to use a 3-axis hitch, but till then it'll allow you to raise your drop hitch up a good bit. I don't know how to weld, so I went to a shop with a 12" long 2" receiver piece and a design, and we rummaged through his stock of square tubing till we found what would work, cut a few angles, cut a strip out of the bottom of the square tubing and welded it up. I went home, slid it on the trailer's tongue, marked where I needed to drill the holes in my adapter, and then painted/mounted it up.
Yes, I remember this and am planning to use it as a guide. Thanks!
pentaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #643
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
whats the purpose of cutting the bottom portion of the reciever stock?
Good question.

The receiver stock is not cut; it is the square tubing the receiver is welded to that is cut.

I wanted full access to the bolts mounting it to the trailer's tongue (which is itself a glorified C-channel). The metal on the tongue isn't as thick as the adapter bracket's, and I wanted to sandwich the sides of the tongue on each side of the adapter with a nut and washer. Hopefully you can tell what I did in the picture below. I wanted to use full length bolts going from one side to the other (added rigidity), but also wanted the two pieces (adapter and tongue) firmly clamped together.

One of the reasons I wanted a full-length bolt was I was also attaching the safety chains to the bolts. The chain starts out attached to the rear bolt, then comes forward and is also attached to the front bolt.

I also drilled two holes through the bottom of the adapter into the receiver tube and bolted it as a little insurance in case a weld failed. One of these two bolts (the rear one - not seen in the picture) also goes through the trailer's tongue.

The hole at the very front of the receiver tube is in preparation of welding a nut to place a set screw. It makes the hitch much quieter snugging up the lunette ring inside the receiver tube (I later replaced the set screw/bolt in the bottom picture with one 1/4" shorter). I found the hitch moving around inside the 2" receiver tube (slight pivoting up and down on the hitch pin) as the cause of noise/banging sounds when towing with the lunette ring. I need to do the same thing to the 2" receiver tube on my Jeep's rear bumper (someday...). And as much as I like my adjustable ball mount hitch when not using the pintle set up (great for raising or lowering the hitch based on the vehicle being used), it also makes noise/banging due to the additional attachment/pivot points in the hitch.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post13835579
hitch-mod-3.jpg   hitch-mod-4.jpg   hitch-mod-5.jpg  
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #644
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

armyRN, I looking towards the deiequipment black trailer and their black metal box. Although it might be more than the H.F. trailer, I like the black and fast and easy box assembly. I also want to match the rims and tires of my TJ. Where's the best place to get the right axle? great thread!
Thanks!

image-4232683721.jpg

Unread 07-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #645
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
armyRN, I looking towards the deiequipment black trailer and their black metal box. Although it might be more than the H.F. trailer, I like the black and fast and easy box assembly. I also want to match the rims and tires of my TJ. Where's the best place to get the right axle? great thread!
Thanks!

KMT seems to have very good prices. Check this out:

http://kmtparts.com/axles-spring-mou...55-4-drop.html

They also sell a 3500 lb axle (overkill) that you have the option of different bolt patterns for the hubs (if someone had a JK and they wanted a matching bolt pattern). Don't forget to purchase a spare hub and set of bearings wherever you order your axle from. It's cheap insurance when far from home.

Make sure you know exactly how wide you want your axle (hubface to hubface) if you order one. And I don't think you need it cambered for these little trailers.

Be sure and post pictures of your build! Front, back, side, angle shots, etc. I haven't seen a build yet using the 4' "black" trailer and the optional metal box sides. I'd like to see what one looks like (and a report of how well it works) on a built-up little trailer. You could be the first. For $163.00 and 20" tall - it doesn't sound too bad when you figure what lumber and hardware would cost. You'll have to tell us how sturdy it is.

http://www.deiequipment.com/armor-re...ers-black.html

If you're getting the 4' black trailer, I strongly recommend you also purchase the optional front stand for $21.00. I didn't put one on my trailer initially (I didn't know it existed), and once I did I wondered how I got along without it. It comes with the needed hardware. You'll be glad you did. If you're thinking of making a 2" receiver adapter for your black trailer (as shown in previous posts above) mount the front stand first so you'll know how far back you can mount the adapter. Mine is as far back as possible while still allowing the front stand to swing down and be locked in place.

http://www.deiequipment.com/armor-re...ler-black.html
black-trailer-box.jpg

trailer-front-stand.jpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.