Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #46
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
That's an awesome little trailer and thanks for the great write up. Have you ever considered ditching the factory fenders for a set of rear TJ rear fender flairs? They would probably cover more and make the trailer look more keyed in to your Jeep.
Thank-you for the kind words.

I have thought about TJ fender flares (or JK rear fenders), but they would have to be wide aftermarket ones. I'd like to get some larger military trailer looking fenders. I just haven't started seriously looking yet - Moab pretty much wiped out my Jeep & trailer funds for now.

This trailer was built in stages:

Stage one was putting it together and making the stake sides for it (basic and functional).

Stage two was putting the wider axle on it along with the taller tires, spare tire carrier, raising and extending the factory fenders, and extra fuel tank. This is where I'm at now (ready for some adventure).

Stage three will be getting some sort of liner made for the tub or finding or making an Army trailer replica tub, and changing out the fenders. I'll also be looking into some sort of swivel hitch to replace the current mount that uses a 1 7/8" trailer ball. Maybe a pintle hitch, or maybe a lock & roll set-up. A buddy and I might be taking the Jeep and trailer to Alaska sometime during the summer of 2012.

If I could find someone that would make something like this with a 41"x50" base that would be great. I contacted this company, but they weren't interested in widening their box.

http://goodoutdoors.theshoppe.com/4_trailer_tub.html

I've also contacted companies that make boxes out of aluminum diamond plate, but while they can make a tub with a lid for what I consider a reasonable amount of money, it's another $300 or so for shipping that ends up killing the deal.

So if anybody out there has a business that makes things out of plastic or diamond plate and is looking for new market, consider making replica Army trailer tubs that would fit on these mini trailer frames.

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #47
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Thank-you for the kind words.

I have thought about TJ fender flares (or JK rear fenders), but they would have to be wide aftermarket ones. I'd like to get some larger military trailer looking fenders. I just haven't started seriously looking yet - Moab pretty much wiped out my Jeep & trailer funds for now.

This trailer was built in stages:

Stage one was putting it together and making the stake sides for it.

Stage two was putting the wider axle on it along with the taller tires, spare tire carrier, raising and extending the factory fenders, and extra fuel tank. This is where I'm at now.

Stage three will be getting some sort of liner made for the tub or finding or making an Army trailer replica tub, and changing out the fenders. I'll also be looking into some sort of swivel hitch to replace the current mount that uses a 1 7/8" trailer ball. Maybe a pintle hitch, or maybe a lock & roll set-up. A buddy and I might be taking the Jeep and trailer to Alaska sometime during the summer of 2012.
I actually wish I would have found your thread before buying my knock off T3C trailer.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #48
eyeJeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

Nice build.

I went out and bought one of the black trailers from HF with sides on sale for $299 after seeing your original build thread. I havent gotten around to modifying mine yet but plan to do an axle swap as well but to fit my old 33" tires I took off my Jeep. I also plan to modify the sides and add a lid. I will post a build thread for it once I get started on it.

Edit - If you do get a HF trailer or any small trailer similar to these make sure you take the hubs apart and pack the bearings with grease, the grease that comes in them from the factory is almost no existent and pretty crappy.
'48 Willy's CJ2A
eyeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #49
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeJeep View Post
Nice build.

I went out and bought one of the black trailers from HF with sides on sale for $299 after seeing your original build thread. I havent gotten around to modifying mine yet but plan to do an axle swap as well but to fit my old 33" tires I took off my Jeep. I also plan to modify the sides and add a lid. I will post a build thread for it once I get started on it.

Edit - If you do get a HF trailer or any small trailer similar to these make sure you take the hubs apart and pack the bearings with grease, the grease that comes in them from the factory is almost no existent and pretty crappy.

Will definitely want to see pictures of your trailer when you're done! It looks like yours is a little longer and a little narrower than mine. What is the spring center measurement of yours?
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #50
eyeJeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

I am not sure offhand, I am currently in Cameroon, West Africa. I should be home in about 2 weeks and will start on it then. If I had to guess it is approximately 33.5-34" since the springs are mounted on the frame rail. I will most likely use a round axle and cut it to fit.
'48 Willy's CJ2A
Unread 06-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #51
bvfd09
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I don't intend to be critical, but it looks like after stage 3 the only parts left of the original black trailer will be the frame, springs, and lights.

Looking back at it, and if you had a welder (if you don't already), would you still start with the black trailer or just build your own from scratch? Is the size good for what you want or would bigger or smaller be better? What other things would you do differently?

Last edited by bvfd09; 06-01-2011 at 02:28 PM..
bvfd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #52
eyeJeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was talking to my nephew this morning about it and will probably just build one from scratch now and will go a little bigger. I will end up with a 4' x 6' box now. When I bought the HF trailer I didn't have a welder so that was why I was going to modify it. I do have a nice Hobart mig now.
'48 Willy's CJ2A
Unread 06-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #53
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvfd09 View Post
I don't intend to be critical, but it looks like after stage 3 the only parts left of the original black trailer will be the frame, springs, and lights.

Looking back at it, and if you had a welder (if you don't already), would you still start with the black trailer or just build your own from scratch? Is the size good for what you want or would bigger or smaller be better? What other things would you do differently?
You are correct; if it goes to stage 3 pretty much just the frame, springs, and lights would remain from how it came from the factory. As things are going now, it might never get to stage 3 unless I find someone local who can weld me up an aluminum diamondplate mini Army trailer bed for not a lot of money. But that's ok. At best, I'll have an upholstry shop make a fitted vinyl liner with some sort of zippered/velcro's lid for lining the inside. Right now it looks good, has better clearance than my Jeep, and does and carries all I want it to. I'm very happy with it, and it's essentially done. To answer your questions:

1. ...if you had a welder (if you don't already), would you still start with the black trailer or just build your own from scratch?

I would have started with this black trailer still. I might have welded up some of the places where the channel meets though in addition to bolting it together. MAYBE after this one though, if I had a welder I would have taken what I learned from this one and build a slightly larger trailer. Maybe. To carry my minibikes.

2. Is the size good for what you want or would bigger or smaller be better?

I've taken this trailer on two trips with the Jeep towing camping gear and such. I think it is the perfect size for what I need it for. I was throwing everything except the kitchen sink in it when I was loading it up for Moab, and I still had room for more stuff if I wanted. Plus, it fits nicely in the garage without taking up too much space. Now if I were to be wanting a trailer to pull behind my full-size truck it would be too small, but for pulling behind a 4-cylinder Jeep it is just the right size. It's bigger than you think, and will carry more than you think it will. It tracked behind the Jeep extremely well; never any swaying or anything like that. I never noticed it being there, and it was 1100 miles to Moab one-way with me towing the trailer behind my TJ.

3. What other things would you do differently?

(I had to think a few minutes about this one.) Other than getting the front tongue jack earlier in the game, I don't think I would do anything differently as I've done up to this point. I might have saved the $45.00 it cost for the new 12" spare tire and tried to find a cheap used one since I was going to change out the axle and tires anyway.

If my buddy and I really do take it to Alaska next summer (2012) I'll look into a swivel hitch set up like I mentioned before. But until then, I'll stick with the 1 7/8th in ball set-up. Like any project, it might sit for a while, then I'll get the urge to make some upgrades.
Unread 06-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #54
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

subscribed
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #55
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That's cool little trailer Pintle hitch would be a great idea
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #56
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

Edit - If you do get a HF trailer or any small trailer similar to these make sure you take the hubs apart and pack the bearings with grease, the grease that comes in them from the factory is almost no existent and pretty crapp

and take the Chinesium wheel bearings and put 'em in a Ziploc and put 'em w/ the rest of your spares. Replace w/ Timken, etc and note the country of origin on box or bearing. 40 bucks now will save tons of problems later.
Unread 06-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #57
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar408 View Post
Edit - If you do get a HF trailer or any small trailer similar to these make sure you take the hubs apart and pack the bearings with grease, the grease that comes in them from the factory is almost no existent and pretty crapp

and take the Chinesium wheel bearings and put 'em in a Ziploc and put 'em w/ the rest of your spares. Replace w/ Timken, etc and note the country of origin on box or bearing. 40 bucks now will save tons of problems later.
Totally x2. A greased extra bearing set or complete hub assembly (they're not expensive) will be money well spent if you fry a set going down the highway away from home. You don't want to leave your trailer (especially with gear in it) parked by the side of the road while you try and track down a bearing set. And if the bearings have fused in the hub assembly, you'll never get them out. Or if the bearings have totally trashed the races, the new bearings will get trashed in short order. That's why I recommend a complete hub assembly; you can always take the bearing out of the new hub assembly if you just need to replace the bearings on the side of the road.

And the tires that come factory with these little trailers aren't always top quality. You're smart if you carry a spare for your trailer too. You'll be kicking yourself if you don't and you get a flat while using your trailer.
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #58
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on all of what armyRn said. I ponied up and bought a spare and bearings.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #59
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe I missed it, but what is the max speed for this thing? I'd love to get a HF mini for camping, but I have to travel on the highway where 55-65 speed limits are common.
Unread 08-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #60
thorondor1979

I know this isn't related to mini trailers but can a jeep tow a motorcycle ( cruser type ) on a trailer specifically the unlimited /4door jeeps
thorondor1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.