Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #496
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Here's a 4x6 I just finished assembling today. It started as an HF 94564 1720-lb. capacity 4x8, and it's been modified down to 4x6, actually 40.5" x 6 because it's going under a 4x6 M416-style fiberglass tub kit (which is also why I painted it olive drab), they're 4x6 at the top and 40.5x6 at the bottom.

Making it 40.5" means the larger tires fit on the stock axle - these are 235/75-15's on Jeep 15x6 wheels. The parts left over in the process of making it smaller went into making the center backbone; at each end of the backbone is an HF receiver. The one on the front is for swapping different types of couplers, the one on the back is for bicycle carriers, etc. The rack on the front is an HF ATV Cargo Rack, the two parts are rotated 90 degrees for a perfect fit with the width of the frame.

Jeff,

Did you ever price out the cost of replacing the axle w/ a wider axle that would allow keeping the full 48" width at the frame and allow regular Jeep wheels/tires?

Would any 'engineering' effort be required or would replacing the axle be 'bolt on' easy?

Thanks,

John

Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #497
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
Jeff,

Did you ever price out the cost of replacing the axle w/ a wider axle that would allow keeping the full 48" width at the frame and allow regular Jeep wheels/tires?

Would any 'engineering' effort be required or would replacing the axle be 'bolt on' easy?

Thanks,

John
John,
I haven't had the need to do a wider axle because both my current military trailer project and the Jeep-tub trailer project required narrower frames than 48".

But if you wanted to keep the 48" width and do a wider axle, here's one for $112.88: http://kmtparts.com/axles-spring-mou...55-4-drop.html. You specify the hub face distance and the spring center distance and they make up the axle for you to those dimensions. The one linked to is a 2000-lb axle with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern (same as the HF axle, same as the TJ and YJ Wranglers). You could use the stock HF springs, and probably the u-bolts and spring plates, although that would depend on the exact diameter of the axle, they don't mention the diameter on their web site.

They also make up 3500-lb. axles for $122.99.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #498
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
John,
I haven't had the need to do a wider axle because both my current military trailer project and the Jeep-tub trailer project required narrower frames than 48".

But if you wanted to keep the 48" width and do a wider axle, here's one for $112.88: http://kmtparts.com/axles-spring-mou...55-4-drop.html. You specify the hub face distance and the spring center distance and they make up the axle for you to those dimensions. The one linked to is a 2000-lb axle with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern (same as the HF axle, same as the TJ and YJ Wranglers). You could use the stock HF springs, and probably the u-bolts and spring plates, although that would depend on the exact diameter of the axle, they don't mention the diameter on their web site.

Wow, that's great.

Thanks Jeff!

John
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #499
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
John,

John,

Be careful when ordering axles. The one linked above looks like a "dropped" axle (at least in the picture and link name) but the write-up says it's a straight axle. It threw me for a minute. Unless you're looking for a lowrider trailer, you want an axle that's straight across. If you google "utility trailer axles" you'll get plenty of hits. Make sure you order by the hubface-to-hubface measurement/width and not overall length, and to modify a famous quote: "Measure twice, order once". Once you order it (especially if they weld on the spring perches) it's yours to keep.

$112 for a 1.75" diameter axle custom length including hubs is a very good price (thanks for the link Jeff). And if a 2.375" diameter 3500lb axle was only $10 more - well that's an easy call. Plus they'll weld on the spring perches? Now it's pretty much a no-brainer. Just need to make sure there's not a size limit on tire/wheel size for the included hubs.

And very interestingly (to me anyways) on the 3500lb axle you have the option of a 5 on 5.0" bolt pattern hub (I'm pretty sure that's what the JK's bolt pattern is - you can get matching rims for your trailer).

For example, here's a 2700 lb axle (there are tons of options out there) but you still need to order hubs:

http://www.easternmarine.com/65-round-tube-straight-trailer-axle-2700-50226

Factory Jeep wheels have a deep offset. Based on some measurements I've done earlier, to run some 235/75/15" tires on Jeep factory steel rims on a 48" wide trailer you're going to need a hubface to hubface axle around 64-65" wide (of course, make sure YOU measure before ordering any axle).

Having said all that, just out of curiosity John, what's the measurement standing at the back of your Jeep JK from the center of one rear tire to the center of the other rear tire? On my TJ with 33x11.5x16" tires on 16x8 steel rims is 62". My trailer's tires center-to-center is about 51.5".
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #500
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
John,

Be careful when ordering axles. The one linked above looks like a "dropped" axle (at least in the picture and link name) but the write-up says it's a straight axle. It threw me for a minute. Unless you're looking for a lowrider trailer, you want an axle that's straight across. If you google "utility trailer axles" you'll get plenty of hits. Make sure you order by the hubface-to-hubface measurement/width and not overall length, and to modify a famous quote: "Measure twice, order once". Once you order it (especially if they weld on the spring perches) it's yours to keep.

$112 for a 1.75" diameter axle custom length including hubs is a very good price (thanks for the link Jeff). And if a 2.375" diameter 3500lb axle was only $10 more - well that's an easy call. Plus they'll weld on the spring perches? Now it's pretty much a no-brainer. Just need to make sure there's not a size limit on tire/wheel size for the included hubs.

And very interestingly (to me anyways) on the 3500lb axle you have the option of a 5 on 5.0" bolt pattern hub (I'm pretty sure that's what the JK's bolt pattern is - you can get matching rims for your trailer).
Actually that link is correct, it's for both a straight axle and a drop axle. The page says:

Quote:
Price is for a basic Straight Idler Axle with 5 bolt hubs, non EZ Lubed.
The photo shows a drop, but the drop is a check box on the page, it's $69.55 extra.

Yes they weld on the spring perches, and it does come with hubs, it's ready to bolt on.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 05-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #501
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

thanks to you both for the additional guidance. What does it mean when they say it is 'non-EZ lubed'.

John
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #502
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
thanks to you both for the additional guidance. What does it mean when they say it is 'non-EZ lubed'.

John
Ez-Lube hubs have a grease fitting that lets you in theory grease the bearings using a grease gun, without removing/repacking the bearings by hand. Here's some info: http://sltrailers.com/What_are_EZ_Lube_Hubs_.html.

Some people say they aren't a substitute for periodic bearing removal/repacking by hand, but it is claimed that they can increase bearing life because you can easily and regularly ensure the hub is full of grease.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #503
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSC View Post
Added a tongue box this weekend.
Looks great!
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #504
K5ADT

Start to convert my fold up trailer now. Got the bug.

Allen
K5ADT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #505
greyghost79

Project "Mini Me"

This has been a great project and it is nearing completion. All I have to do is decide what I am doing with the lid. I have gone full circle from hinging at front to hinging in middle to no hinge and back to hinging at front. If I ever decide how I'm going to do it, one thing is for certain - I will cover it in black vinyl.

Attached are photos as it sits now. I do have a question for BSC -- what are you using to attach the shovel to the trailer fender? By the way, your trailer looks great!
loaded-mini-trailer-front.jpg   loaded-mini-trailer-rear.jpg  
greyghost79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #506
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost79 View Post
This has been a great project and it is nearing completion. All I have to do is decide what I am doing with the lid. I have gone full circle from hinging at front to hinging in middle to no hinge and back to hinging at front. If I ever decide how I'm going to do it, one thing is for certain - I will cover it in black vinyl.

Attached are photos as it sits now. I do have a question for BSC -- what are you using to attach the shovel to the trailer fender? By the way, your trailer looks great!
I love it! It's just screaming "Adventure". And you even mounted a spare on it! Can you show a few pictures of the bike rack? Did you put a 2" receiver on the back for the rack?
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #507
Mowgli25
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The shovel mounts are quickfist. We use them in our fire trucks here.
Mowgli25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #508
BSC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost79 View Post

Mowgli25 is correct I'm using quickfist, Thanks for the complement, If you don't mind could we see some photos on how you mounted the spare I still need to mount mine but I'm worried about the wood holding up on the trail.
BSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #509
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mowgli25 is correct I'm using quickfist, Thanks for the complement, If you don't mind could we see some photos on how you mounted the spare I still need to mount mine but I'm worried about the wood holding up on the trail.
I mounted mine with a piece of metal on the inside, and a used spare tire carrier from a TJ on the other side. I have the tire resting on the trailer tongue to decrease stress on the wood. So far so good.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m.../#post11209803
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #510
greyghost79

Quote:
Its similar to armyRN's, except its a YJ spare carrier mounted thru the wood with five 1/2" bolts and large washers. I'm not planning to go offroad, but I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't bust the wood.
greyghost79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.