Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #31
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

armyRN I actually went by my local Harbor Freight this afternoon! Saw both "Red" trailers. However I'm not really liking the "Red" frame. On another note the price tag of $199 for the "smaller" one Is nice :-) the larger frame/ trailer was $239 (I believe, my son/ helper was with me and wasn't wanting to look at them!!)

I probably post over in the YJ section as well but, I'm currently running the Warn rear bumper tire carrier. Question is are you running an actual hitch or are you using the "recovery point" (2" reciever built into a bumper!?) I know the trailer doesn't have alot of tongue weight and weighs around 130#'s dry. Thoughts on this please!

KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #32
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLT88YJ View Post
armyRN I actually went by my local Harbor Freight this afternoon! Saw both "Red" trailers. However I'm not really liking the "Red" frame. On another note the price tag of $199 for the "smaller" one Is nice :-) the larger frame/ trailer was $239 (I believe, my son/ helper was with me and wasn't wanting to look at them!!)

I probably post over in the YJ section as well but, I'm currently running the Warn rear bumper tire carrier. Question is are you running an actual hitch or are you using the "recovery point" (2" reciever built into a bumper!?) I know the trailer doesn't have alot of tongue weight and weighs around 130#'s dry. Thoughts on this please!
Be sure to check either online or in automotive magazines for coupons. Harbor freight almost always has available coupons, usually one for 20% off any single item is printed in magazines for off roading. Heres the site for printing coupons.
http://www.harborfreight.com/more-co...ns%20-%20Broad
Unread 03-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #33
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

My Genuine Steel rear bumper isn't rated for towing. So I'm using the 2" recovery point. I had triangle gussets added to the receiver and bumper for a place for the trailer's safety chain. I've also got a set of Rockmen bumper/frame tie-in brackets on the Jeep (first picture), plus I put longer bolts through the tie-in bracket and bumper so I could put a nut on the end of the bolt (otherwise the only thing the bolt is threaded into and holding onto the bumper is the 1/4" threaded portion of the bumper itself - see second picture).

And in my 4WD/Jeep/truck magazines (and American Rifle magazine) there's always coupons for 20% off any one item purchased at Harbor Freight. The little red trailers will work, and pretty much everything I did with my black one you can do with the red one (except maybe the front tongue stand). You just don't have the other options like the pre-punched diamond plate flooring or metal stake sides. But if you weren't going to get them anyways, the labor and cost for both the flooring and sides would be the same. As would getting a wider axle/larger tires/etc.

Let us know what you do, and post a picture of the final product.
001.jpg   003.jpg   005.jpg   007.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #34
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Final Fender Modifications:

As I mentioned previously, I wasn't happy with how I mounted the fenders. They "wiggled" too much going down the road. So I took them off and ran a carriage bolt through the wood to the brackets themselves. I also put a 1/4" bolt on either side of the fenders where the bent and folded edges met in hopes of making it more sturdy. If I had a welder I'd weld them up. The pictures should explain it much better than me trying to describe it.

So hopefully I'm done with what I set out to do with this thing. We'll see how it does going to Moab and back (2200 miles round trip).
jeep-fenders-finished-001.jpg   jeep-fenders-finished-002.jpg   jeep-fenders-finished-005.jpg   jeep-fenders-finished-004.jpg   jeep-fenders-finished-003.jpg  

Unread 03-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #35
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Balzer/ armyRN thanks for the replies! I Have one of those 20% coupons...sooo might do the harbor freight!!?? Also found a company on line That sells party, cooking and light duty trailers to haul the equipment. They Have the black trailer for $230 (I believe), might do that one!? I've looked at so many I can't keep the prices straight!

Ill definitely need to add the safety chain mounts to the receiver tho!

Before I go with the "black" or "red" I think ill give the "red" one a once more over for comparison!

Thanks again!
Unread 04-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #36
kdb97tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the trailer looks great. I want one now also check this out

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/pts/2323759157.html
Unread 04-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #37
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I left Wednesday morning (from Olympia, WA) for Moab. I slept a few hours somewhere north of Salt Lake City Utah, and got to Moab around 1100 the next day after driving about 1100 miles. The trailer did great. I could cruise doing 70 with it. My limiting factors were not the trailer - it was the fact I'm driving a four cylinder Jeep, and it has a Detroit Locker in the rear (and as I found out later, my front track bar was a little loose at the frame end). Sometimes with long uphill grades I'd have to downshift to fourth gear, but I sometimes have to do that anyway even without the trailer. I especially liked having the extra four gallons of gas in the fuel cell on the trailer. It gave me peace-of-mind when driving in the middle of the night not exactly sure when the next gas station would show up.

There's absolutely no way I could have carried all the camping gear and such with me if I didn't have the trailer. I can pack light when I have to, but I'll be camping here for ten nights, and with my wife and kids meeting up with me in a few days, I want to be as comfortable as reasonably possible while camping. Once I got the trailer unloaded, I parked it in a corner on the campsite till I need it again.

The trailer earned its keep on this trip.
driving-moab-002.jpg   driving-moab-004.jpg   driving-moab-005.jpg  
Unread 04-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #38
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

ArmyRn: I'm still following along!! I'm still planning on building one of these "mini/ micro" trailers!! I'm glad it worked out for ya! What BLM campground are you staying at? Back in 2006 my Dad, Uncle and I did a guys trip out there. Had a blast, got to do some wheeling...but not in my Jeep..!
Unread 04-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #39
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ArmyRn: I'm still following along!! I'm still planning on building one of these "mini/ micro" trailers!! I'm glad it worked out for ya! What BLM campground are you staying at? Back in 2006 my Dad, Uncle and I did a guys trip out there. Had a blast, got to do some wheeling...but not in my Jeep..!
I'm staying at a KOA campground a few miles out of town, but less than a mile from the main registration arena. I paid a little extra for a "delux" campsite (electricity and water) so my wife can make her coffee every morning. The bathrooms are very nice here, but the campground is just off the main road so you hear the trucks at night. I did my first Moab trail today and it was a blast. My Jeep looks like a stocker compared to a lot of the ones out here for the EJS.

If anyone else builds a little trailer based on my write-up please post a picture and a brief description of what you did to it. Your ideas might help others.
Unread 04-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #40
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the great write-up. You did a hell of a good job on that trailer. After some deliberation and the fact I had some coupons, I decided to try the HF "red" trailer. I'll be doing some strengthening (welding) of the frame and at first will stay with the 12" wheels. I'll post some pics here when I get her road ready. Then larger wheels down the road. Thanks for the help and the ideas.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #41
GeoBigJon
Cactus Hobbit

2014 JK Wrangler 

Love the look of these, and I could really use one. Now I have another project for this summer.

If you eat, drink, or wear cloths then you're involved in agriculture.
GeoBigJon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #42
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

In post # 34 I showed where I put some 4" carriage bolts through the wood sides and through the fender brackets and fender. I really helped diminish the fenders wiggling when going down the road, but I wanted to totally get rid of the wiggle and make it totally solid. So before taking the trailer to Moab I added another pair of carriage bolts and brackets to the fenders. Unfortunately, the gaps between the slats are always where I want to put something (hence the little "L" brackets on top of the fenders). Now it it very solid. Here are some pictures:
camp-roberts-weider-wts-trailer-fender-019.jpg   camp-roberts-weider-wts-trailer-fender-020.jpg   camp-roberts-weider-wts-trailer-fender-021.jpg   camp-roberts-weider-wts-trailer-fender-022.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #43
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice. I'll have to save these pics for when I bump up to 15" tires. I'll end up doing the same thing for my fenders. Did you make those brackets?

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #44
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

That's an awesome little trailer and thanks for the great write up. Have you ever considered ditching the factory fenders for a set of rear TJ rear fender flairs? They would probably cover more and make the trailer look more keyed in to your Jeep.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #45
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
Nice. I'll have to save these pics for when I bump up to 15" tires. I'll end up doing the same thing for my fenders. Did you make those brackets?
I bought the brackets at the hardware store for about $4.00 each (you'll need four of them). Check out post # 18 for more details on the brackets.

With these brackets and 4" carriage bolts, they don't exactly center the fender over the tires (the tires are centered under the fenders when looking at it from the side though). Which is fine with me, because if something were to get hit first, I'd rather it be the tires and not the fenders. But it does cover the tread of the tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.