Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 209 - JeepForum.com

62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3121 of 3142 Old 05-29-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice looking Dinoot trailer! I love the simplicity, and looks like you've got it pretty well loaded (is that a six-foot trailer?). It is amazing how much you can put into a little trailer. And cool looking dog (looks like the dog's deep in thought - what kind of puppy?).

Tell us more about the trailer and frame. Is it based off a HF frame, or did you go custom? Brag on your Dinoot trailer a little bit.

Attached Images

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3142 Old 05-30-2017, 07:31 AM
gouacats
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN
Nice looking Dinoot trailer! I love the simplicity, and looks like you've got it pretty well loaded (is that a six-foot trailer?). It is amazing how much you can put into a little trailer. And cool looking dog (looks like the dog's deep in thought - what kind of puppy?). Tell us more about the trailer and frame. Is it based off a HF frame, or did you go custom? Brag on your Dinoot trailer a little bit.
It's a narrowed and shortened HF frame that I started way back on page 32 of this thread. Four years later and it has progressed from something similar to your original trailer to the Dinoot...this was its first real trip in its Dinoot form. Yes, we crammed a lot of stuff in the six-foot trailer! Next up is a roof top tent, I think.

We think the puppy is a Samoyed/Aussie Shepard mix, but who knows. He's about 14 weeks old now, so we'll see what he looks like in a few months!
post #3123 of 3142 Old 05-31-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouacats View Post
It's a narrowed and shortened HF frame that I started way back on page 32 of this thread. Four years later and it has progressed from something similar to your original trailer to the Dinoot...this was its first real trip in its Dinoot form. Yes, we crammed a lot of stuff in the six-foot trailer! Next up is a roof top tent, I think.

We think the puppy is a Samoyed/Aussie Shepard mix, but who knows. He's about 14 weeks old now, so we'll see what he looks like in a few months!
Yeah; these little trailers are like our Jeeps - they evolve over time.
Dodger60 likes this.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3124 of 3142 Old 06-01-2017, 09:13 PM
PiperCub49
2008 WK 

I just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this MASSIVE thread. It has been a lot of fun going through people designs and seeing their creativity and experiences!
Dodger60 likes this.
post #3125 of 3142 Old 06-05-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49 View Post
I just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this MASSIVE thread. It has been a lot of fun going through people designs and seeing their creativity and experiences!
So what's your lil' HF based Jeep trailer project going to be? And what kind of adventures would you take it on?

Trailer build:
post #3126 of 3142 Old 06-06-2017, 10:14 PM
PiperCub49
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
So what's your lil' HF based Jeep trailer project going to be? And what kind of adventures would you take it on?
Of course, the first part of building a trailer like this is determining what it'll be used for. As inglorious as is sounds, I'd like to be able to pull double duty with my trailer. As much as I'd love to have a super armored, diamond plate, Rubicon-worthy trailer, I simply don't need that right now. A trailer to haul trash to the dump would honestly be more useful. (I know, I know.) So the task for me is to make a trailer that can be easily washed out, but sealed up for the weekend warrior adventures and hauling the ladder stand to the hunting spot.

By the way, I'll be headed to Pensacola for flight school this fall. I'm a couple weeks away from OCS now. I sure do have a fun 12 weeks ahead of me.

Kody
NMBruce and profdlp like this.
post #3127 of 3142 Old 06-07-2017, 03:01 PM
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49 View Post
...I'll be headed to Pensacola for flight school this fall. I'm a couple weeks away from OCS now. I sure do have a fun 12 weeks ahead of me.

Kody
Good luck! I was stationed at Pensacola on the old Lady Lex (CVT-16). Seen a few of your types back in the day.
post #3128 of 3142 Old 06-10-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know if I ever posted this video link or not - if I have, it is still worth repeating.

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/...-Demonstrator/

It is a very short (less than 30 seconds) demonstration of why proper trailer weight distribution (front to back) is so important when towing a trailer. It could even save your life. Please check it out.

Trailer build:
post #3129 of 3142 Old 06-10-2017, 10:09 PM
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

That is an excellent demonstration. Thanks!

Lots of people will be towing a trailer this summer. The more of them who see this the better. I know I've been behind someone who didn't know how to load a trailer and it wasn't fun. Eventually, you try to pass them as quickly as possible and hope they don't wipe out when you're right along side them.
post #3130 of 3142 Old 06-14-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I came across this little trailer on the internet this evening, and found it interesting:

https://hi-standard-outfitters.mysho...er-for-atv-utv

Made for ATV/UTVs, but I like the concept (I like the height inside). Seems like it could be adapted to a HF-type build. The tub is 40" x 60" (an ideal tub size to be pulled behind a TJ-type Jeep in my opinion). If they were smart (and I'm sure they are) they would make a street-legal version with at least 235/75/15" tires, and a 2" receiver up front on the tongue.

Trailer build:
post #3131 of 3142 Old 06-18-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Or build your own (that's what this thread is all about!). There's a table of contents in the first post of this thread.

Mine is built on a 4' HF type little trailer frame $240 (but they're always on sale): https://www.harborfreight.com/1090-l...ler-62665.html.

Or you could get a HD 4x8' HF trailer $380 (and cut it down to 40" x 60"; mine is 50" long): https://www.harborfreight.com/1720-l...ler-62671.html HF sells more then one 4x8' trailer frame; you want the HD one (with the higher weight rating). This HD HF trailer essentially comes with a 2000lb axle; narrow the frame and you're essentially widening the axle - you may not need to get another axle to fit your larger rims and tires. However if you wanted to upgrade the axle and/or get electric brakes....

3500lb axle $250: https://www.southwestwheel.com/showp...g-trailer-axle (this has electric brakes; is cheaper without brakes).

Spring mounts, springs, shocks, etc (about $100 - 125; written up elsewhere in this thread) factory slipper springs are too stiff and basically suck - your trailer and its contents will take a beating as the slipper springs flex very little (if at all). Longer leaf springs with shackles are fine for these little trailers - you don't need Timbren axle-less suspensions or trailing arms with coil springs or air bags. You'd be spending a whole lot of money for very little gain.

Wheels and tires of your choice (New - used - price range can vary greatly) my trailer as shown has 235/75/15" tires on 15x7" rims. And with these tires and axle, I've still got 3-4" MORE clearance under the trailer's axle compared to under the pumpkin of my Jeep's rear Dana 44 with 33" tires.

Add a couple hundred dollars for misc. stuff (cooler tray, frame tongue extension, tub reinforcements, leg stands, etc.)

Diamond plate aluminum tub from Diamond Deluxe (they built mine for about $900 with a locking lid): http://www.diamonddeluxe.com/

"RTT" on the trailer is a Cabella's double tent-cot bolted to the lid with a custom cover made. Long story - but it was a project to see if it would work, but in the long run if I were paying for everything it would have come out even just to buy an entry-level (but nice) "real" RTT - but I'm happy with it as is.

Rack on the trailer is a Surco 40x50" aluminum rack that I later moved to the roof of the TJ after I put the tent cot on the trailer's lid. The rack was nice on the trailer - gave it more utility/options. If I were to take the RTT off the trailer, I'd put the rack back on the trailer. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sur-s4050/overview/

Of course, you don't need to put a rack or a RTT on your trailer to go on adventures with a little trailer. However I really do appreciate having a hinged, locking lid on my trailer! I've priced trailers that want way more for a lid (it is an add-on option) than I paid for my whole aluminum tub with a lid.

And more importantly, you don't have to spend thousands and thousands of dollars for an overbuilt expensive trailer for your adventures (I've been posting up links to quite a few lately - not implying they aren't quality built and wouldn't serve you well if you've got the bucks). But with a stay-at-home wife, and putting kids through college I know I don't have a lot of extra money to spend on adventure trailers and such. And you don't need to spend a ton of money to get a nice little Jeep adventure trailer.

Mine is just a metal diamond plate box (with a bunch of stuff bolted to it) attached to a modified HF-type trailer frame with upgraded suspension and axle (they're not expensive folks). No fancy tailgates or slide-outs. And we have drug it across hundreds (I'd say thousands of miles) of non-paved roads up in Alaska and Canada (not to mention crisscrossing the USA a couple of times) with no issues. It is rock solid. If you can do even simple Jeep modifications, you can build one of these little trailers.

If you're reading this thread, I know you're interested in building a little trailer for your Jeep. What are you waiting for? Adventures are out there - load up your adventure gear and go! Let us know how we can help you - send me a PM if you want - I'm a (now retired) Army Nurse (but still working full-time in the civilian sector - still got a kid in college) - I'm not in the trailer biz - I/we do this for fun and to be helpful to Jeepers who want to take their Jeeps on adventures.
Attached Thumbnails
hardtop.23.jpg   hardtop.24.jpg   Rack.11.jpg   Trailer rack channel.3.jpg   Yukon Dempster.1.jpg  

Trailer build:
post #3132 of 3142 Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 AM
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So I just acquired an older Harbor Freight 40x48 trailer. It has a c channel axle and doesn't have a square tongue tube. Need to fix the wiring as it is currently set up for a 5 pin to be towed behind a motorcycle and the harness is too short to reach my Jeep.

A PO put in aluminum diamond plate floor, 1 foot sides all the way around with aluminum angle bracket to frame the corners and rail.

All in all, a decent place to begin.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
post #3133 of 3142 Old 06-21-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmadn88 View Post
So I just acquired an older Harbor Freight 40x48 trailer. It has a c channel axle and doesn't have a square tongue tube. Need to fix the wiring as it is currently set up for a 5 pin to be towed behind a motorcycle and the harness is too short to reach my Jeep.

A PO put in aluminum diamond plate floor, 1 foot sides all the way around with aluminum angle bracket to frame the corners and rail.

All in all, a decent place to begin.
Yeah; the 4' HF trailers came with C-Channel axles and non-square tube tongue. And it is a great starting point!

Keep us posted! Sounds like fun. There's so much you can do with these.
irnmadn88 likes this.

Trailer build:
post #3134 of 3142 Old 06-21-2017, 10:54 PM
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Yeah; the 4' HF trailers came with C-Channel axles and non-square tube tongue. And it is a great starting point!

Keep us posted! Sounds like fun. There's so much you can do with these.
I fixed the wiring today so it is ready to roll and now I am on page 30 of reading this thread.

Given that the non-square tongue only extends to the middle crossmember and is held on by only 4 bolts, I am contemplating replacing it with a full length one.

Rear receiver and extending the tongue to allow for a tongue box are currently under consideration.

This trailer does not have an A frame at the front either. Should I be considering building one?

EDIT: The above question was asked at post #630 and dramatically answered at post #756. More support to the single tongue is needed as it acts as a lever.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
post #3135 of 3142 Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmadn88 View Post
I fixed the wiring today so it is ready to roll and now I am on page 30 of reading this thread.

Given that the non-square tongue only extends to the middle crossmember and is held on by only 4 bolts, I am contemplating replacing it with a full length one.

Rear receiver and extending the tongue to allow for a tongue box are currently under consideration.

This trailer does not have an A frame at the front either. Should I be considering building one?

EDIT: The above question was asked at post #630 and dramatically answered at post #756. More support to the single tongue is needed as it acts as a lever.
This thread is a long read granted, but it is a smart investment of your time before you start modifying a little 4' HF-type trailer. It can save you a lot of time and money, and give you ideas you wouldn't have thought of for your build. I know I learned a lot from other folks' builds and incorporated them into mine. You should be a little trailer-build expert by the time you're done reading.

It wouldn't hurt to put an A-frame up front; it helps support a cooler tray up front should you choose to add one (and especially with a little 4' trailer - if you can put the cooler outside the tub, it just leaves you that much more room inside the tub for things you'd rather not expose to the elements).

I moved my factory tongue forward, and used 2" angle iron to not only extend the tongue, but run it all the way to the back with an added section of 2" receiver tube. Here are some pictures to give you an idea (one way to do it anyways):
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer extension.1.jpg   Trailer extension.2.jpg   Trailer extension.3.jpg   Trailer extension.4.jpg   Trailer extension.6.jpg  

Trailer extension.7.jpg   Trailer extension.8.jpg  

Trailer build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.