Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #16
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Very Nice! I started building my own trailer from scratch I may have over done it but only time will tell. I built it 4'8" wide by 5'6" long Just because that was the best use of 1-20' stick of 1.5" square tube I had.

Unread 03-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #17
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Axle install:

Real easy swap. I undid the four square "U" bolts, lowered the old axle and replaced it with the new axle. Then I mounted the new tires. And then I bolted on the fender risers and put the fenders back on. There's plenty of clearance between the tires and the frame, and looks like there's plenty of clearance with the fenders (although they look small compared to the tires, but since they came with the trailer they were essentially free).

Sorry for the garage shots; I'll take some pictures of it behind the Jeep during the daylight hours when I get a chance. But it's pretty much done and ready to take on an adventure! I'll probably take it to Moab for the EJS (2200 miles round trip from Olympia, WA). Please let me know if you have any questions.
jeep-axle-install-001.jpg   jeep-axle-install-002.jpg   jeep-axle-install-004.jpg   jeep-axle-install-006.jpg   jeep-axle-install-008.jpg  

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #18
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Raising the fenders:

I bought four of these brackets (two for each side) at Lowe's; I've also seen them at Ace Hardware. Figure about $4.00 each. I hammered flat the slight bend on the long end, and then midline along where the bend was I drilled a 3/8" hole, and on the short end I drilled the hole already there out to 3/8". There's a raised area on the long end that I had to hammer flat about 1" up so the bracket would be flush with the frame. I also drilled a 1/4" hole 1 and 1/4" up and 1/2" in from the long end so once I have them mounted to the frame, I can drill a 1/4" hole in the frame so the brackets won't pivot on the frame. 3/8" bolts top and bottom on the brackets with large washers and it's good-to-go.
jeep-trailer-spare-gas-018.jpg   jeep-trailer-spare-gas-019.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #19
brianskippy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the detailed build out. Looks like a great little project.
brianskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #20
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Final Pictures (almost...)

Here's the trailer connected to the TJ. It's essentially done, but I'm not happy with the fenders. They "wobble" too much when going down the road. So I'm going to tie the fenders in to the wooden sides also, and I'll take some pictures when I'm done. But hopefully this thread will inspire others, if they're looking for a small trailer, to consider one of the little 4' trailers. All the modifications done to this black trailer will work with the red ones (except for the front trailer stand). Here are some pictures:
trailer-done-001.jpg   trailer-done-002.jpg   trailer-done-003.jpg   trailer-done-006.jpg   trailer-done-007.jpg  

Unread 03-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #21
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thats a very nice lookin trailer now. good job! Only thing I would do now is maybe extend the fenders so they don't fling mud into your gear and tail lights and maybe add an axe and shovel mount to the sides.

I like it!
Unread 03-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #22
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good, I was looking at some small trailers this morning after work. They sale some at lowes for ~500 with a floor already done and I think 5-4.5 lug patern.
Unread 03-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #23
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
Thats a very nice lookin trailer now. good job! Only thing I would do now is maybe extend the fenders so they don't fling mud into your gear and tail lights and maybe add an axe and shovel mount to the sides.

I like it!
You mean something like this (scroll down a little bit):

http://willysjeepparts.com/Shovel_And_Axe_Kit.htm

I've thought about it; and maybe putting a hi-lift jack on the other side. But I don't know how well the wood would support the weight. At least the spare and gas tank are resting on something. I'd like to get a military trailer shaped tub (in diamond plate) made for the trailer. Someday.

About the fenders; I'll be on the lookout for some aftermarket fenders designed for a 15" tire. But I thought I'd see what I could do with the factory fenders (since I'm trying to do this more-or-less on the cheap).

Thanks for the nice comments!
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #24
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

ArmyRn awesome build thread!! I've been looking for a trailer like you stated for camping use as well as dump runs!! I think you sold me on the idea, I too looked at the other brands of "mini" and "small" type trailers only to be turned off by the $1k plus price tags! Looking forward to more pics of it in action (wheelin, camping and hauling!)

Thanks for the great write up!!
KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #25
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yep that would be perfect. As far as a highlift mount, I think as long as you mounted it to the uprights and used nice big flat washers on either side it would support it just fine. Another option might be to raise your spare tire up a bit and mount the jack across the front bottom, resting on the tongue. You could then use a small piece of 3" angle iron, used like an upside down L, for the tire to rest on, and the jack to rest under. Of course on the front you would want some sort of cover to keep mud and debris off the jack, a simple canvas cover would work well.

As far as a military style tub, made from aluminum, you could possibly do that yourself if you don't object to bolting it together. Aluminum is easy to work with, you can cut it with a jig saw and get creative to make bends, and its easy to drill. I could do a quick and dirty drawing to show you how to cut and bend it.
Unread 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #26
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Like I said quick and dirty not to scale but should give you the right Idea. All the bolt tabs would be bent 90* from the panel. The 2 bends in the side bent at 45* to match the front and rear panels 45* step out.

I mean it sounds a little complicated but it really isn't, as long as you took your time You can do it pretty simple.
Unread 03-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #27
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLT88YJ View Post
ArmyRn awesome build thread!! I've been looking for a trailer like you stated for camping use as well as dump runs!! I think you sold me on the idea, I too looked at the other brands of "mini" and "small" type trailers only to be turned off by the $1k plus price tags! Looking forward to more pics of it in action (wheelin, camping and hauling!)

Thanks for the great write up!!
You're welcome! My hope was this thread would be helpful to folks considering a mini trailer. I wasn't able to find anything on line to where folks had modified one for "Jeep" use, so I figured I'd go ahead and do it. Next month (April) I plan on taking it to Moab for the EJS, so I'll have plenty of pictures after that of it hauling my camping gear.

Your cheapest bet (for new) would to catch Harbor Freight having a sale and buying one of their little "Red" trailers with the 12" tires. If you wanted to go with a "Black" trailer, for about $650 delivered you could get one with 12" tires, plus a metal floor, metal stake sides, and a tongue stand (I'm wishing I had got the trailer tongue tongue stand when I first started with this trailer):

http://www.deiequipment.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10521/.f

And my usual disclaimer: Shop around and you might find it even cheaper. Shipping is what'll get you on these things.

Add about $220 shipped for a wider axle (and spare hub), and another $300 - $350 or so (depending on if you mail order or buy local) for three 205/75/15" tires on 15x5" rims (maybe even cheaper if you've got a boat trailer place near you) and you've got one looking like mine.
Unread 03-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #28
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I figure you could build that box with 3 sheets of alum. Depending of course on how tall its built, and you might have enough left over to build matching alum. fenders.

Just keep the creative juices flowing!
Unread 03-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #29
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
I figure you could build that box with 3 sheets of alum. Depending of course on how tall its built, and you might have enough left over to build matching alum. fenders.

Just keep the creative juices flowing!
Hmmm... this might end up being my next project. Thanks for laying it out for me! I really would like to have a military trailer looking tub on it.
Unread 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #30
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This might be taboo to say on a public forum but maybe you could hook up with some Hutterites and slip them some pocket money or a fifth of whiskey and have them build your box for you. LMAO

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.