Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Reply
Unread 06-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #211
sevenscrew
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong, New Jersey
Posts: 2,667
i really like that! threads like this inspire me to make my own trailer that both i or my dad can pull. im getting a welder for christmas and going to just get a real junk trailer on craigslist with a title, then make my own using the title. although i plan to make one hopefully 7 x 10 or something, he has a lot of siding equipment that needs to fit in or on it.

__________________
1997 Limited 5.2L 3 link front. np231 swap

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #212
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,245
Someone somewhere on the JF was looking for the measurements of an M416 military trailer. I found this one on my files at work, but couldn't find the original post with the request. In any event, here they are:
trailer-dimensionsm416-1.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #213
SkippyPB13
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vernon, N.J.
Posts: 672
Although I won't be doing a dinoot like i really want to due to finances i did finally get my HF HD trailer kit today. I'll post pics later in the week when I start building it. I need to assemble the axle and test fit the hubs to my wheels to see if I need spacers. Then I can determine how much width may need to be taken from the frame to clear 31's on my 15x8 wheels. My current plan is to make the base approx 4x6'.
__________________
Ask about my Custom Paracord Jeep Stuff!!
Door straps, rollbar grab handles, bracelets.

[url]www.SkippyKustoms.com[/url]
SkippyPB13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #214
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyPB13 View Post
Although I won't be doing a dinoot like i really want to due to finances i did finally get my HF HD trailer kit today. I'll post pics later in the week when I start building it. I need to assemble the axle and test fit the hubs to my wheels to see if I need spacers. Then I can determine how much width may need to be taken from the frame to clear 31's on my 15x8 wheels. My current plan is to make the base approx 4x6'.
Cool. If you look at the military trailer diagram above, you'll see the base of the military trailer tub is 41" x 72". Can't wait to see what you do. If I were to do it all over again (or do another one) I might start out with the HF HD trailer; it seems like a really nice base to start with. jsherb really took it and ran with it with his little trailer project that evolved into the dinoot trailer.

You might even consider starting your own thread so you can really take it and run with it, as there's been a lot of folks building little trailers it seems to suit their individual needs. Keep us posted!
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #215
pentaflex
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 109
Big THANKS to armyRN for the inspiration and instruction! I bought the "red" trailer from HF (1090 Lb. Capacity 40-1/2" X 48" Mini Utility Trailer With 12" Four-Lug Wheels And Tires) and have been piecing together my own version based on the great advice in this thread.

The first two pics show the base kit after initial assembly with a 3/4" treated plywood deck.

The next two pics show the same after I replaced the axle and wheels. The axle is a 52" round from Eastern Marine (a.k.a. Trailer Parts Superstore) as noted on the first page of this thread. I chose 33" tires because they match my Jeep and therefore I won't need to carry another spare. I picked up the tires used and would have preferred thinner. These are 12.5. Notice how the trailer rides level now while using the same hitch as in the first two pics.

The remaining pics show the box, which is constructed from tongue and groove cedar. My design goals were that it be (more or less) weather resistant, lockable (for security), light, and have a tailgate and top that can be opened independently. (The top is not shown as I haven't finished it yet.)

The cedar is very light. It is unfinished and could remain so, but I plan to stain it as my preference is darker. I am constructing the top from treated plywood -- using the second half of the sheet I used for the deck. I'll probably paint it, either black or forest green. I'm trying to decide now how to trim the edges -- perhaps 1" steel or aluminum angle.

I have 2x2 redwood posts in the corners -- couldn't get cedar. They are cut to be 3/4" below the top. That way, if desired I could add a second 3/4" plywood top such that when the first is opened you end up with a 48" by 80" platform to sleep on. (I'd have to add more bracing.) But I'll probably never go that route.

The sides are 20" tall like a pickup bed. There are many options for storage boxes that fits pickups. You could add side boxes on the outside, built to go over the wheel well. And there are many sizes of steel boxes and tool boxes that could go inside. Deezee also makes some nice triangular plastic storage boxes that can go up front on the tongue.

I NEED SOME ADVICE ON FENDERS. Any suggestions on where to get something that would cover (or partially cover) the 33" tires?

Thanks again to armyRN! Great thread!
trailer_00.jpg   trailer_01.jpg   trailer_03.jpg   trailer_04.jpg   trailer_05.jpg  

trailer_06.jpg   trailer_07.jpg   trailer_08.jpg   trailer_09.jpg  
pentaflex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #216
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Elmira, NY
Posts: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaflex View Post
I NEED SOME ADVICE ON FENDERS. Any suggestions on where to get something that would cover (or partially cover) the 33" tires?
You'll probably find something to do the job here: http://kmtparts.com/catalogsearch/re...fender&x=0&y=0
__________________
.
"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #217
SkippyPB13
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vernon, N.J.
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaflex
Big THANKS to armyRN for the inspiration and instruction! I bought the "red" trailer from HF (1090 Lb. Capacity 40-1/2" X 48" Mini Utility Trailer With 12" Four-Lug Wheels And Tires) and have been piecing together my own version based on the great advice in this thread.

The first two pics show the base kit after initial assembly with a 3/4" treated plywood deck.

The next two pics show the same after I replaced the axle and wheels. The axle is a 52" round from Eastern Marine (a.k.a. Trailer Parts Superstore) as noted on the first page of this thread. I chose 33" tires because they match my Jeep and therefore I won't need to carry another spare. I picked up the tires used and would have preferred thinner. These are 12.5. Notice how the trailer rides level now while using the same hitch as in the first two pics.

The remaining pics show the box, which is constructed from tongue and groove cedar. My design goals were that it be (more or less) weather resistant, lockable (for security), light, and have a tailgate and top that can be opened independently. (The top is not shown as I haven't finished it yet.)

The cedar is very light. It is unfinished and could remain so, but I plan to stain it as my preference is darker. I am constructing the top from treated plywood -- using the second half of the sheet I used for the deck. I'll probably paint it, either black or forest green. I'm trying to decide now how to trim the edges -- perhaps 1" steel or aluminum angle.

I have 2x2 redwood posts in the corners -- couldn't get cedar. They are cut to be 3/4" below the top. That way, if desired I could add a second 3/4" plywood top such that when the first is opened you end up with a 48" by 80" platform to sleep on. (I'd have to add more bracing.) But I'll probably never go that route.

The sides are 20" tall like a pickup bed. There are many options for storage boxes that fits pickups. You could add side boxes on the outside, built to go over the wheel well. And there are many sizes of steel boxes and tool boxes that could go inside. Deezee also makes some nice triangular plastic storage boxes that can go up front on the tongue.

I NEED SOME ADVICE ON FENDERS. Any suggestions on where to get something that would cover (or partially cover) the 33" tires?

Thanks again to armyRN! Great thread!
Love the design. That's how I plan to do mine except I will be doing roughly a 4x6 platform. Nice set up.
__________________
Ask about my Custom Paracord Jeep Stuff!!
Door straps, rollbar grab handles, bracelets.

[url]www.SkippyKustoms.com[/url]
SkippyPB13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #218
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaflex View Post
Big THANKS to armyRN for the inspiration and instruction! I bought the "red" trailer from HF (1090 Lb. Capacity 40-1/2" X 48" Mini Utility Trailer With 12" Four-Lug Wheels And Tires) and have been piecing together my own version based on the great advice in this thread.

The first two pics show the base kit after initial assembly with a 3/4" treated plywood deck.

The next two pics show the same after I replaced the axle and wheels. The axle is a 52" round from Eastern Marine (a.k.a. Trailer Parts Superstore) as noted on the first page of this thread. I chose 33" tires because they match my Jeep and therefore I won't need to carry another spare. I picked up the tires used and would have preferred thinner. These are 12.5. Notice how the trailer rides level now while using the same hitch as in the first two pics.

The remaining pics show the box, which is constructed from tongue and groove cedar. My design goals were that it be (more or less) weather resistant, lockable (for security), light, and have a tailgate and top that can be opened independently. (The top is not shown as I haven't finished it yet.)

The cedar is very light. It is unfinished and could remain so, but I plan to stain it as my preference is darker. I am constructing the top from treated plywood -- using the second half of the sheet I used for the deck. I'll probably paint it, either black or forest green. I'm trying to decide now how to trim the edges -- perhaps 1" steel or aluminum angle.

I have 2x2 redwood posts in the corners -- couldn't get cedar. They are cut to be 3/4" below the top. That way, if desired I could add a second 3/4" plywood top such that when the first is opened you end up with a 48" by 80" platform to sleep on. (I'd have to add more bracing.) But I'll probably never go that route.

The sides are 20" tall like a pickup bed. There are many options for storage boxes that fits pickups. You could add side boxes on the outside, built to go over the wheel well. And there are many sizes of steel boxes and tool boxes that could go inside. Deezee also makes some nice triangular plastic storage boxes that can go up front on the tongue.

I NEED SOME ADVICE ON FENDERS. Any suggestions on where to get something that would cover (or partially cover) the 33" tires?

Thanks again to armyRN! Great thread!
You're welcome - glad I could be of help! Awesome trailer build - I really like the looks of the light colored wood against the red frame. I wish I had done mine more enclosed like you did.

So what's going to be your first big Jeep and trailer adventure?
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #219
pentaflex
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 109
Thank you all for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
You're welcome - glad I could be of help! Awesome trailer build - I really like the looks of the light colored wood against the red frame. I wish I had done mine more enclosed like you did.

So what's going to be your first big Jeep and trailer adventure?
No far off trips like Alaska, though looks like you had a great trip! I'm headed into the San Juan and Elk mountains (Colorado) in a few weeks, but will probably do a couple day trips up near Keystone to work out any bugs first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyPB13 View Post
Love the design. That's how I plan to do mine except I will be doing roughly a 4x6 platform. Nice set up.
I considered going bigger. I don't really need the room, but frankly large tires on a tiny trailer just look a little odd. I'm sure after my first camping trip I'll realize all the things I should have done different. Looking forward to seeing yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
You'll probably find something to do the job here: http://kmtparts.com/catalogsearch/re...fender&x=0&y=0
Looks like I can find something there. Appreciate the link!
pentaflex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #220
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,245
As my forum name suggests, I'm an Army Nurse, and being in the Army means you have to move every few years. Well this year is the year for me to move; from WA to TN (hello Ft Campbell!). I'm moving myself, and with six cars (plus the Budget rental truck) and four drivers, we'll be going like this:

Up front will be my Dodge 4x4 truck flat towing the Willys, my KIA Sorento towing my Toyota Yaris (DD) on a tow dolly, my wife's minivan towing the trailer, and me bringing up the rear with the rental truck with the TJ on a trailer. Yes, that was our convoy from Olympia, WA to Clarksville, TN. Yes, I'm crazy.

If you remember from page 10, posts 138-142 I talked about options I could do with having a 2" receiver hitch on the front of the trailer. I got lucky with the trailer and lunet ring being the same height as the pintle hitch on my Jeep, but I'm not so lucky with the hitch on the minivan. It's LOW to the ground compared to my other vehicles. I checked out prices for an adjustable height pintle hook mount (ouch) so I went with what I had talked about previously. I mounted a 1 7/8" ball coupler to a piece of 2" square tubing to put on the front of the trailer. I already had the adjustable ball hitch, so now instead of using it as a drop hitch, I'm using it as a raised hitch. So now if anyone has to borrow the trailer, I've got a ball mount for the front of the trailer, and an adjustable ball hitch to adjust for different height receivers.

While my buddy and I were at Harbor Freight the other day, he got me a Hitch Ball Wrench after hearing me complain about having to use a pipe-wrench to change out hitch balls. Well while getting this hitch thing set up for the move, I used it for the first time. I should have got one a long time ago! They're not expensive, and for sure a lot easier to use than a pipe wrench.
trailer-coupler-ball-hitch-001.jpg   trailer-coupler-ball-hitch-002.jpg   trailer-coupler-ball-hitch-003.jpg   trailer-coupler-ball-hitch-004.jpg   trailer-coupler-ball-hitch-008.jpg  

moving-picture-new-house-002.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #221
dooboy2112
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, Ca
Posts: 2,891
Well, here is my HF Trailer I use for hauling my dirt bike.



__________________
2000 Grand Cherokee Limited
2000 Wranger Sport SOLD
1979 Wagoneer SOLD
dooboy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #222
SkippyPB13
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vernon, N.J.
Posts: 672
I finally got my ducks in a row and started my build.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/a...build-1399344/
__________________
Ask about my Custom Paracord Jeep Stuff!!
Door straps, rollbar grab handles, bracelets.

[url]www.SkippyKustoms.com[/url]
SkippyPB13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #223
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyPB13 View Post
I finally got my ducks in a row and started my build.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/a...build-1399344/
Excellent! I'm looking forward to following along as you do your trailer build. It looks like more and more folks are discovering the practicality of these little trailers, and how they can be built nicely without breaking the bank.
alaska-remainder-trip-012.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #224
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,545
I've wanted to this for a very long time.... I think I will get to it very soon

Great work
__________________
[B]-2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara - [COLOR="Navy"]4" lift and 33's[/COLOR]- Built Not Bought
-2003 Jeep Liberty KJ Limited - [COLOR="navy"]Stock[/COLOR]
-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee WG Limited - [COLOR="navy"]Stock[/COLOR][/B]
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #225
sportjp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: felton, Delaware
Posts: 1
ArmyRN, I am inspired and have to ask. Where did you get those shackles from??
sportjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.