Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 05-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #181
SkippyPB13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm just curious but why isn't anyone using the torsion style axles? I would think if ground clearance is an issue that would be a good choice. Plus the suspension would be independent too. Just a brain fart I guess. I won't be using it because I'm going to go with the 4x8 5 lug set up and use the second 4x4 section to build a second trailer later on.

[url]www.SkippyKustoms.com[/url]
SkippyPB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #182
75kernal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar408

not "axle"...."hubs"!!!
as soon as you can determine by either bearing part # (starting with 'LM) axle diameter (1" or 1 and 1/16" ) or look it up/call mfgr, determine axle bearing diameter. Cold beer sez it's 1 1/16. That is standard on axles up to 2000# as is 5 on 4 1/2.
5 on 5 wheels and hubs come on 3500# axles. Hubs use 1 3/8 inner (big) and 1 1/16 outer (small ) bearing. These will NOT work on 2000# axle.
Outside of having a custom-made very narrow 3500# axle/hub assy made, if you wanna use Rubi 5 on 5, look at adapter/spacers.
I think I'll go adapter/spacers , but yes be cheaper to change out the hubs and I don't need a 3500lb axle.
75kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #183
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

BTW, kernal, nice job on trailer.
Unread 05-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #184
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyPB13 View Post
I'm just curious but why isn't anyone using the torsion style axles? I would think if ground clearance is an issue that would be a good choice. Plus the suspension would be independent too. Just a brain fart I guess. I won't be using it because I'm going to go with the 4x8 5 lug set up and use the second 4x4 section to build a second trailer later on.
I seem to recall a couple of the commercial manufacturers tried a variety of high end torsion axles a while back and found that they just didn't hold up over time. Also the failures were more difficult to repair or limp home with. A standard leaf spring axle with shocks is going to be very robust, and repair parts will be simple to come by at almost any auto parts store.

FWIW,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #185
75kernal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar408
BTW, kernal, nice job on trailer.
Thanks, I'm trying to find a set of JK fenders, thinking the rear fender might look good and also match the JK
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #186
eyeJeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

I havent updated my build in a while. Here are some more current pics of the build.

The lid flips open to create a table/workbench.

Closed with a rack on top for the ice chests.
'48 Willy's CJ2A

Last edited by eyeJeep; 08-02-2012 at 09:15 AM..
eyeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #187
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That is an awesome idea with the lid.. looks great !!!
lockedwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #188
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just saw your jeep in the new 4wheeldrive! Looking great man!

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #189
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
Just saw your jeep in the new 4wheeldrive! Looking great man!
Thanks! When I sent the email to the editor, I wasn't trying to get in the magazine. 4 Wheel Drive and JP are my two favorite four-wheeling magazines (out of the four I subscribe to).

The picture was from last year when I took my Jeep and trailer to Moab. This year (this month): We're taking the Jeep and trailer to Alaska and Canada! I'm all tingly with anticipation (but in a manly reserved kind of way).

I appreciate folks posting pictures of their little trailers and talking about their builds. Lots of good ideas out there - keep them coming! Now we just got to get them out on the open road (or trail!).

If you've built a little 4-foot type trailer and used it on a trip, tell us how it worked out. How much stuff you were able to haul, how it made your trip better, how it tracked behind your Jeep, etc.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #190
SkippyPB13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeJeep
I havent updated my build in a while. Here are some more current pics of the build.

Excellent idea!!!
Writing that one down in my plans.

[url]www.SkippyKustoms.com[/url]
SkippyPB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 03:39 AM   #191
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeJeep View Post

Great thread, Great ideas, but
When I saw the first page of this thread, I thought, why go to all that trouble and not !! in close the whole thing ?
This makes a lot more sense to me. No tarps necessary.
Add to it, the dual function lid !! Great job

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #192
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrocknroll View Post
Great thread, Great ideas, but
When I saw the first page of this thread, I thought, why go to all that trouble and not !! in close the whole thing ?
This makes a lot more sense to me. No tarps necessary.
Add to it, the dual function lid !! Great job
That's what this whole thread is about - presenting an initial idea, and others chiming in on how they did it and sharing their projects and ideas to make it even better... taking it and running with it to the next level. Yeah, that tarp was a major PIA as I learned the hard way (idea was good in theory, but poor in practice). We'll see how the vinyl liner worked out as we take it to Alaska. And I'm liking that dual function lid too - looks like a great place to put my Coleman stove once camp is set up (I'm thinking counter space here).

But somebody had to take the lead and go first (and get the ball rolling...). So I did. There have been a lot of great ideas presented since I started this thread; jscherb's modifying a larger HF frame to fit a smaller tub, these excellent enclosed tubs, etc. Like most of my projects, it's only after I'm finished do I now know how I should have done it in the first place (and half the time I would have done it differently). Hopefully folks finding this thread later will get some good ideas so if/when they go to build their trailer they'll get it "right" for them the first time. Looks like I've been successful in that regard.

I'm not complaining though - I'm still very happy with my little trailer. If I do a re-do on it, I think I'll stretch the tub about 10" (to 60") and get a longer spring to get away from the slipper spring set-up (and some sort of diamond plate army trailer type tub and lid, or have Sierra trailers build me a tub with a lid). But like most Jeep projects, half the fun is the "doing it" part of the project.
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #193
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

I hope I didn't offend you,cuz that was definitely not my intention.
I have a couple of trailers, the little one that has been modified, would be perfect to be re done,with ideas form here.
I really like the gas/water cans.

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #194
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrocknroll View Post
I hope I didn't offend you,cuz that was definitely not my intention.
I have a couple of trailers, the little one that has been modified, would be perfect to be re done,with ideas form here.
I really like the gas/water cans.
Not at all. It's a work in progress.

Be sure and show us your modified trailer when you're done.
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #195
75kernal

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN
75kernal: Very cool! Give us some more info on the axle and tires you've got on it (measurements, sizes, prices, etc.).
Sorry, didn't see this comment till now, wheels are 15in, I believe the same ones your running, the axle I ordered from a local trailer shop , alco 2k lb rating 53in on center, I took in the HF axle N they welded on the brackets for free, the axle was $175. The trailer as noted was from HF, $150 w/coupon, I then sold the axle, hubs and tires that came with for $100. So the trailer cost me $50+ $175 for the axle, the tires were $95ea. The steel I got from a local steel yard, the diamond plate was dam expenisive!! All the metal came to $350!!! Still want to do more to it but kinda burnt out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.