Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #151
bigjoey38

Hi Army RN

Sent u a PM... I really like your trailer...

Joe

bigjoey38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #152
bigjoey38

Hi There

I was checking out the site and ran to a post abou railings for your trailer and hope u can give me some tips.

What I need is info on what exactly i will need to make the gate like size stake, how many bolts etc.
Please contact me via the e-mail below.

I just purchased a trailer and was doing a research on
doing a rail for the trailer. I did a google search and found a pic of your pic (trailer) and the webpage.
I really like the rails and hope you can give me some guidance on how to make them. I found my trailer
via Craig’s list for $170.00 like new. Excellent shape and already built.. can beat that. It is a harbor fright
which is this one:
]http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html

I bought the trailer to be used with a trike I am buying. I want to paint the trailer the same color of the bike and use the same color/type of would.

check out the bike:

Here is my e-mail: nuyork212@yahoo.com

Hope u can send me an e-mail and help me out.

I would also like to by a jeep in the future

Joe
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #153
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoey38 View Post
Hi Army RN

Sent u a PM... I really like your trailer...

Joe
PM sent. Cool looking trike!

If you go to post #93, a member named "1911tyler" took a red-framed HF trailer and did rails like mine. He does an excellent job showing how he finished off his Red trailer, including the flooring. He also might be able to answer any specific board length questions.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #154
bigjoey38

Thanks

I try to send him a PM and his box is full. If I dont do the railings we are talking about I like to put smaller railings around the sides and rear of the trailer and use a convas bag like the way this guy has on his HF trailer. He pulls this with his trike.
Maybe I can make the railings with some wood so if you have any ideas send them my way
He does not have the railings but the trailer is the same size:

Unread 04-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #155
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So my trailer's been at the upholstery shop for a week or two. I told him there was no rush, and to take his time designing this liner thing. Today I swung by to check on the progress, and to talk to him about how I wanted the top done. I'm going to have it about 8" higher than the top of the trailer, and we'll be using the eye bolts as sort of buttons with the lid having button holes, and a cord running through the eye bolts.

The liner goes over the top and down a bit; sorta like when putting a plastic bag in a trash can. The edge has an elastic cord running through it to keep it snug over the first set of boards (the lid will go over the second from the top set of boards). It's not finished yet; you can still see the elastic cord on the back of the trailer.

Anyways, here's a few pictures of where we're at so far. I'm very pleased with it. I'm looking forward to taking it on our Alaska/Canada adventure next month.

Speaking of our Alaska/Canada trip - when we get closer to leaving, I'll post a link to a thread I'll start under "Trail Reports and Pictures". Sorta like how I did this thread; I'll post our itinerary, what we packed, lots of pictures, etc. I'll also include prices when I can, and lessons learned if we were to do it over again, etc. Hopefully there are others out there that would like to follow as we go along (besides our parents and spouses) that might someday want to do a similar trip. I'll be bringing my little netbook with us, and every time we find a wi-fi place I'll post an update. Let me know if you have any questions.
trailer-tub-001.jpg   trailer-tub-002.jpg   trailer-tub-003.jpg   trailer-tub-004.jpg  
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #156
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

What a cool idea. Can't wait to see the lid and how it all works for you.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #157
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks

I try to send him a PM and his box is full. If I dont do the railings we are talking about I like to put smaller railings around the sides and rear of the trailer and use a convas bag like the way this guy has on his HF trailer. He pulls this with his trike.
Maybe I can make the railings with some wood so if you have any ideas send them my way
He does not have the railings but the trailer is the same size:

Ok, so I went to HF and they had a 4' trailer leaning up against the wall, so I took some measurements (especially where the stake pockets were located).

Then I went home and sketched it out for you. This is for a "Red" HF trailer with the box measuring 40.5" x 48". Here's what you need to do the railings. The boards are regular 1"x4" boards (they actually measure out to be 3/4" x 3.5"), and with these measurements there is 2" of space between the horizontal boards (same as my trailer).

1. For the left and right sides you need eight boards 45" long, with a 1/4" hole drilled 5.5" from each end centered on the board.

2. For the front and rear sides you need eight boards 39" long with a 1/4" hole drilled 6.5" from each end centered on the board.

3. For the upright stakes, you need eight boards 25" long, with 1/4" holes drilled (starting from the top and in the middle of the board) at 1.75", 7.25", 12.75", and 18.25". When you put the stake all the way in the stake pocket, mark on the board where the hole is on the trailer's frame, then take it out and drill (I think it's a 3/8" hole).

And you'll need 16 corner braces or something to keep the boards together when the meet in the corners. And I put eyebolts on the second set of boards so I'd have something to tie down to.

Take a look at the picture of my trailer; that's how it should look when you put it all together. You'll need 1/4" bolts about 2" long (your choice of how you want to do it). Just try to keep as little protruding inside the trailer box as possible.
pumpkin-jeep-trailer-318.1jpg.jpg   dscn0324.1jpg.jpg  
Unread 04-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #158
bigjoey38

Thanks for your help....I like that liner... Looks like they a pretty good job...

Hope to get started on my project soon...
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #159
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So I picked up the trailer today; I'm pleased with how the liner and lid came out. The lid is snug around the outside edge of the trailer (plus there's velcro), but is loose on the top so if we have a load that goes past the top of the trailer, we're good. In the pictures you can see more of the detail. You can also see the straps I'll be using to keep the lid from flapping and such when going down the road (plus keep stuff from bouncing). I'll have a very small tarp or something to put between the gear and the underneath of the lid.

I put a scrap piece of carpet (cut to fit) on the bottom of the liner until I can get some sort of rubber mat. That way I'll prevent poking a hole in the floor of the liner with our gear either when loading the trailer, or stuff shifting when traveling down the road.

Total cost for the liner and lid: $400 (plus tax). I already had the four straps from our previous trip (HF specials). They're friction straps; not ratchet straps.

Before we take it on our Alaska/Canada adventure, I need to do something to make sure the seams don't leak. Suggestions? The material is a very heavy-weight vinyl.

Anyways, let me know if you have any questions.
trailer-liner-006.jpg   trailer-liner-004.jpg   trailer-liner-007.jpg   trailer-liner-009.jpg   trailer-liner-010.jpg  

trailer-liner-011.jpg  
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #160
SkippyPB13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN

Before we take it on our Alaska/Canada adventure, I need to do something to make sure the seams don't leak. Suggestions?
can you say mobile swimming pool? Lol
Looks awesome.

[url]www.SkippyKustoms.com[/url]
SkippyPB13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #161
bigjoey38

Nice set up:

Hello

Well I got one of my projects completed... I can use a canvas bag with this set up. Overall it came out ok... Mind u first time I ever done something like this. I keeped it at two tier becuase I though maybe 3 tier for motorcycle use might be to big. It order to keep cost down I deciced to keep the trailer the same color and just paint the railings/stakes to match.

Added a two tier railing:

After done painting:

I bought a cargo box a guy was selling for $40... It it fits the trailer perfect:

My goal is to paint the cargo carr red and black
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #162
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Both of your projects look real nice. Good job on the cargo box too. $40? What a steal. How are you securing it to the trailer? Now you should join the micro-trailer club....

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 04-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #163
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nice set up:

Hello

Well I got one of my projects completed... I can use a canvas bag with this set up. Overall it came out ok... Mind u first time I ever done something like this. I keeped it at two tier becuase I though maybe 3 tier for motorcycle use might be to big. It order to keep cost down I deciced to keep the trailer the same color and just paint the railings/stakes to match.

Added a two tier railing:

After done painting:

I bought a cargo box a guy was selling for $40... It it fits the trailer perfect:

My goal is to paint the cargo carr red and black
Looks like you did a good job. I especially like the red on black look. It reminds me of a wagon I had as a kid.

Did the measurements I gave you hold true?
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #164
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here are my latest mild modifications:

1. I had a nut welded to the bottom of the trailer's tongue receiver tube after drilling a 7/16" hole. I threaded a 1" long 7/16" bolt in to keep the lunette ring thing from wiggling and making noise. Next time I'm at the hardware store I'll see if I can find one that's 3/4" long to replace the 1" long bolt. I also noticed that putting tension on the lunette ring thing puts tension on the hitch pin (which is a good thing). It's not going to come loose. That hitch pin might get replaced with a grade 8 nut & bolt.

2. I trimmed the corners of the top boards last night so the vinyl liner won't get a hole poked through it. I put two coats of stain on the exposed wood, and today I put the first of 2-3 coats of varnish on the newly exposed wood.

Next month we take this trailer and the Jeep on our three week Alaska/Canada trip, so I've got a deadline for getting this thing ready (it's pretty much there). This trailer's just begging to be taken on an adventure (that's why I built it).

I noticed on the pictures above this post bigjoey38 has some little mudflaps on his trailer's fenders. I like that idea; I might have to borrow it and put some small flaps on my trailer's fenders.
trailer-mods-002.jpg   trailer-mods-005.jpg   trailer-mods-006.jpg  
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #165
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I too noticed the mudflaps. Where did you get them, or did you simply make them?

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.