Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #136
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT View Post

Nice work on this trailer - very clever design!

Is the Willys also yours?

Do you have a link for a build thread and/or more pics of it?

Thanks!

Yes, the Willys is mine. I've had it for about 23 years, and spent years tweaking it. Unfortunately, living in WA it spends most of its time in the garage. It is a 1946 CJ2A with a 3A windshield frame. Engine is a 2000cc Pinto engine with a Pertronix ignition in the distributor and an MSD-5 ignition box, T-90 tranny, Spicer 18 transfer case with Warn OD, Dana 25 front with 11" brakes, 5.38 gears and a lock-right; Dana 44 rear with 5.38 gears, 11" brakes and a lock right. Suspension is a 2.5" Rancho lift with Rancho 5000 shocks, and Saginaw manual steering. Seats are from a 1968 Firebird, spare tire carrier is a modified Valley swing away tire carrier, rear bumper is a modified M38A1 Viet-Nam era Marine Corps bumper. It has a full roll cage, 5-point racing harnesses, Ramsey 6000 lb winch. Tires are 31" Mickey Thompson MTX radials on 15x8" black spoke rims. I've got the full top for it along with the bikini top. I've had a lot of fun with this little Willys. Every guy should build one.

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #137
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I like the new hitch for the trailer you fabbed up. My '46 Bantam trailer may have a set up like that in the future. Are setting it up to swap out depending on your needs? I was thinking about putting a receiver on mine with out the raised part and swapping out the two as you would remove the ball from the jeep.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #138
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeb View Post
I like the new hitch for the trailer you fabbed up. My '46 Bantam trailer may have a set up like that in the future. Are setting it up to swap out depending on your needs? I was thinking about putting a receiver on mine with out the raised part and swapping out the two as you would remove the ball from the jeep.
Yes; with a 2" receiver on the tongue of the trailer, I can use either:

1. a Max-Coupler
http://www.sierra4x4trailers.com/s4x4t-max-coupler/

2. a Lunette ring (they sell them that slide into a 2" receiver mount) in conjuction with a pintle hitch
http://www.drawtite.com/dt63045.html

3. a ball-mount coupler (bolted to a 2" square tube that fits into the receiver mount)
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coup...ck/2833AT.html
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #139
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Ahh it looked kinda like you were going to unbolt and bolt on occasion. Why did you raise the tongue mount to cause the nose of the trailer to dip down?

On the Max coupler. Does it bolt where the ball bolts too?
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #140
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeb View Post
Ahh it looked kinda like you were going to unbolt and bolt on occasion. Why did you raise the tongue mount to cause the nose of the trailer to dip down?

On the Max coupler. Does it bolt where the ball bolts too?
Bolting/unbolting the hitch-thing I made is an option (and was kinda my original plan). But it would also be nice to just leave the new hitch there and slide-in whatever type of hitch I wanted to use.

In order for my trailer to be level (even with the larger tires I put on the trailer) it still needs a bit of a dropped hitch. So with raising the tongue mount, I'll need less of a dropped hitch (will still need a little though). That's with the Max Coupler or the ball coupler. With the Lunette ring in the 2" receiver, it'll be about level with the Pintle hitch that's on my Jeep now. The picture below shows the dropped hitch I used to keep the trailer level. Before I put the larger tires on the trailer I had to drop the hitch even more (fortunately I used an adjustable height hitch)

The Max Coupler bolts to a regular ball mount hitch where the ball bolts to the hitch (check out the youtube link below).

dscn0350-copy.jpg  
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #141
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a picture of the completed trailer tongue mount. I've got the lunette ring attached (2.5" diameter hole).

Just for fun, I took the lunette ring out, and along with my magnetic angle finder thingy I went and got some measurements.

Side-to-side flexibility (twist): 28-30 degrees
Up-and-down flexibility: 90 degrees (180 degrees total).
Left to right: 180 degrees

So if I'm going up-and-down hills I really don't have to worry about damaging the hitch.

Then I went and got the 1 7/8" ball coupler, and slid the ball hitch mount into the receiver, and took measurements.

Side-to-side (twist): 18-20 degrees
Downward motion: 10 degrees (not much at all)
Upward motion: 15 degrees (again, not much)
Left to right: 180 degrees

We took the trailer fror a test drive the other day, and really the only banging we were hearing was the lunette ring inside the receiver tube. I'm probably going to drill a hole on the bottom of the 2" receiver tube on the trailer's tongue, weld a nut there, and thread a bolt up to take up the slack (it's minimal, but enough to make a noise).

With the way the trailer and Jeep's pintle hitch are set up, the trailer sits level (I should have taken a picture when we tested it out).
pintle-hitch-038.jpg   pintle-hitch-040.1.jpg  
Unread 03-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #142
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was bringing the trailer to get an estimate for a liner, so I remembered this time to bring a camera. Here's what it all looks like connected.
trailer-hitch-mods-004.jpg   trailer-hitch-mods-002.1.jpg   trailer-hitch-mods-003.1.jpg  
Unread 03-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #143
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool. I'm jealous!

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #144
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I already asked bobdog... so now I will ask you... Anything you would do different, or lessons learned ???
lockedwheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #145
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedwheels View Post
I already asked bobdog... so now I will ask you... Anything you would do different, or lessons learned ???
If I had to do it over again, I might/would:

1. Make a solid box (like bobdog) instead of the slat sided thing I made. It would have been cheaper in the long run. The slats on mine look nice though...

2. Bought the trailer tongue stand earlier in the game. If you get the black trailer, order the stand at the same time. It makes working on it so much easier - trust me - instead of trying to balance the tonge on something all the time.

3. Found a used instead of buying a new 12" spare (since I was going to change it out anyway later).

4. If jscherb had started his trailer thread before I started mine, I might (might) have gone that route (with the frame at least; not necessarily with the fiberglass box, but then again, it is pretty cool...).

5. I sometimes think I should have come up with a better way to reinforce the corners where the slats meet. I still might do something there (maybe on the outside this time).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head; if I think of anything else I'll let you know. I'm actually very pleased with how it turned out, and how it sorta evolved. It does what I want it to do, and I'm looking forward to taking it to Alaska and Canada in May/June pulling it behind my TJ loaded up with camping gear and such. I'm glad I went with the "black" trailer instead of the "red" one.

I still wish someone would make an aluminum diamond plate M-416 type box with a 41" x 50" base and about 22" tall that could be bolted to these 4' trailers. Built like an aluminum truck bed box with a locking lid.
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #146
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for an awesome build thread.. I am stuck in korea right now. But... one more month till I am home. You have the gears in my head turning !!!
lockedwheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #147
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedwheels View Post
Thanks for an awesome build thread.. I am stuck in korea right now. But... one more month till I am home. You have the gears in my head turning !!!
I made mine (the basic set-up anyway) right before I went to Iraq this last time, so it was waiting for me on my return. I took it on a highway 101 loop tour of the Washington State penninsula when I got back, and it pulled great and carried everything I needed it to. The picture of us and the Jeep in the first post was us heading on our loop tour. But even while I was in Iraq I was thinking about modifying it, and started on it after our trip.

They're a fun little project, and you can do so much with them whichever way you want to go. Good luck getting started, and please post pictures of your project. I'm sure folks are getting tired of seeing my trailer all the time on this thread - lets see what others are doing and get some ideas going! Spring/summer is coming up - time to get these trailers built, load them up with camping gear and head out to the great outdoors! Next month (May) I'm Alaska/Canada bound with mine.
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #148
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Or a trailer box could be made out of some kind of plastic. Anybody out there make bins, farm tubs, or such out of plastic (polyethylene), and are looking to expand their market? Make something along these lines that would fit a little 4' trailer frame and I'll bet you could sell a bunch of them. I contacted the company that made this one (http://goodoutdoors.theshoppe.com/4_trailer_tub.html), and they were not interested in changing the base dimentions (I would suggest 41" x 50 or 51"). I'm not the expert on molding plastic, but seems like you could make a mold that looks like an M-416 trailer or M-100 (pictured below) for these little 4' trailers. I think on some of their poly tubs they also have a lid option (which would be great).
green_trailer_tub.jpg  
trailer-front_view-s.jpg

Unread 04-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #149
mark02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ArmyRN - that's a cool idea for a polyethylene trailer! I wonder what kind of market there would be for that? Too bad the company you contacted wasn't interested in pursuing it. I don't know if I've ever posted anything about your trailer, but I really like it! You did a great job on it!

And... The pic of the old Army trailer that you posted is actually of an M100, not an M416. The M100 has the rounded fenders where the M416 has a fender that's flat at the top and then angles off front and back. The only reason I know any of this is that I came across an M100 a few weeks ago that was priced too good to pass up! 5 minutes before I bought it, I couldn't have told you what model it was - only that it was an old, Army quarter ton trailer that looked pretty cool! I've been spending all sorts of time the past few weeks on various sites dedicated to Military vehicles learning about them and trying to decide what route I want to go on restoring mine.

Finally, to you and lockedwheels, THANKS for your service!!
mark02tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #150
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
ArmyRN - that's a cool idea for a polyethylene trailer! I wonder what kind of market there would be for that? Too bad the company you contacted wasn't interested in pursuing it. I don't know if I've ever posted anything about your trailer, but I really like it! You did a great job on it!

And... The pic of the old Army trailer that you posted is actually of an M100, not an M416. The M100 has the rounded fenders where the M416 has a fender that's flat at the top and then angles off front and back. The only reason I know any of this is that I came across an M100 a few weeks ago that was priced too good to pass up! 5 minutes before I bought it, I couldn't have told you what model it was - only that it was an old, Army quarter ton trailer that looked pretty cool! I've been spending all sorts of time the past few weeks on various sites dedicated to Military vehicles learning about them and trying to decide what route I want to go on restoring mine.

Finally, to you and lockedwheels, THANKS for your service!!
Thanks! I corrected my post to reflect that it was an M-100. I was just looking for a picture of a tub to post, and wasn't looking at the fenders.

I think there would be a large market for polyethylene trailer tubs for these 4' mini trailers. I think lots of folks like the idea of an inexpensive little HF trailer, but aren't sure (or handy enough) to figure out how to finish it off. And lots of folks know what an "Army trailer" looks like, and probably think of them fondly. They shouldn't be to difficult to make after you have the mold, they should ship easily (no worries about denting), you can make them in different colors, they won't rust, etc. Shouldn't be too difficult for a company that makes tubs and such out of polyethylene to mass produce these things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.