Micro-trailer build...sort of! - Page 8 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 121 Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 AM
JKBender
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonNaughtington View Post
Thanks. I picked up this guy the other day and i would like to do the same.. Also i was wondering what kind of back spacing do the wheels have? This trailer is a 4x6 so it should be kinda close....
I like the blue trailer, what is it and how much was it? Looks like it may have military or farm roots by the tires?

Once you start a build post it up on ArmyRN's thread as I suspect all the trailer guys are connected into it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 121 Old 04-09-2014, 07:39 AM
DonNaughtington

This is usually me on long 12 day camping trips campground jumping.. my tent alone weights 150lbs. i got rid of the rack because it drove so weird with all that weight on top. i want to do a small water tank with a water pump for showers..lol. those national parks are rough with no running water for the ladies.
Attached Thumbnails
1262702_603447783026994_1794260887_o.jpg  
Attached Images

post #108 of 121 Old 04-09-2014, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
bobdog
1999 TJ Wrangler 

National Parks are always a good stop over. Been a long time since I camped in one though. Maybe with this trailer I'll be able to again.

Now that you got rid of the rack, I suppose it is a given you'll have to build up your trailer. AS JKB said, a good place to post, if you prefer not to start your own build thread, is over on armyRN's thread. Lot's of ideas and help. Your welcome to post them here, as well. Definitely keep us posted as you go along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club

post #109 of 121 Old 04-09-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
bobdog
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So, tonight, I decided to go ahead and put the new, softer springs on. As armyRn said, the slipper springs are too rough (I like to call them clapper springs as I think they are too loud as well). The problem with the springs that come on the HF or the small black trailers is not with their ability to hold weight. They do that with ease. The problem in my book is they are too stiff AND too loud. So, given that, as I said earlier, I plan on replacing them. Well, tonight was the night. I got my springs in a while ago and finally have time to put them on. They are 26" springs that hold 575 lbs. each. So together I will have a combined 1150lbs. to use. My axle is 1500lbs usable weight and so I believe I will have plenty of room to spare for my needs. This is not a dump trailer after all. My intentions is for it to be used exactly as I'm going to use it on Thursday and that is to haul camping equipment to somewhere. In this case to Roosevelt Lake in Az. So, the first step is to determine where you want the axle located. Obviously I want around a 60/40 split in weight, but that doesn't necessarily equate to a 60/40 split in trailer-bed length. I built a trailer box, but too a cargo rack, and therefore have to keep in mind the approximate weight I will usually load on it. So I'm thinking that since the HF springs were just behind center on trailer frame w/o a box, that with my box and rack that mid-line should be fine. The reason of not putting them further forward is that I may not carry anything in the rack and yet I still have the weight on the back (e.g. spare tire, gas cans, etc.). I'll post pictures up later.

***Note: that was written yesterday, but I forgot to post it. So, here it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
post #110 of 121 Old 04-09-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
bobdog
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So here's some pics of where I left off last evening. It got dark so I stopped. I removed the springs and had to cut the front brackets off as I had thrown a bead down one side of them. It all took longer than I thought, but now this afternoon, I'm ready to reverse course and put the new ones on. I'll post more pics after I'm done.
Attached Images

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
post #111 of 121 Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 PM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is usually me on long 12 day camping trips campground jumping.. my tent alone weights 150lbs. i got rid of the rack because it drove so weird with all that weight on top. i want to do a small water tank with a water pump for showers..lol. those national parks are rough with no running water for the ladies.
You'll be surprised how much easier your Jeep is to drive pulling a loaded trailer than having all your gear strapped to a rack up top and a basket hanging off the rear of your Jeep. And if you're just hauling camping gear to a national park starting off with a little HF trailer with 12" rims/tires will work just fine for you. But figure like building a Jeep, you'll get the fever to modify it. They're fun little projects which come in quite handy when you want to haul your camping gear to the parks.

Here's my trailer build thread that others have mentioned. I started it, but it's due to a lot of other folks contributing ideas and builds that have kept it going.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/

If you do start a trailer build, post on this link, or my link (above), or start your own thread but give us a link to your build so we can follow along.

You might find this interesting: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f312/...nture-1371427/

The little trailer is what made this Alaska/Canada trip pleasurable - being able to haul all our gear and not having it strapped all over the Jeep.
post #112 of 121 Old 04-10-2014, 06:59 AM
DonNaughtington

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
National Parks are always a good stop over. Been a long time since I camped in one though. Maybe with this trailer I'll be able to again.

Now that you got rid of the rack, I suppose it is a given you'll have to build up your trailer. AS JKB said, a good place to post, if you prefer not to start your own build thread, is over on armyRN's thread. Lot's of ideas and help. Your welcome to post them here, as well. Definitely keep us posted as you go along.
I will. I dont mean to thread jack... lol. its just easier to follow 1 or 2 people then to start something completly new since there are so many. Ive been following both of you and one guy with my exhact trailer but he didnt put any part numbers or anything and the thread is like 3 years old. im taking notes before i pull the trigger on any parts. one thing i hate is returning stuff because of the restocking fees... its like throwing money out the window.

National Parks are great... its $12 for the vehicle per day.. doesnt matter how many people are in the car. lol. What i do is a look at regular parks and national parks and pick the ones i think will be fun. Then drive to the farthest one from home and work your way though all of them on the way back home. That way in the end your only 3-4 hours away and its not a big tyring trip just to get home. No set schedules and not time frames. You will not believe how much better things turn out when nothing is planned and you just pick something to do. You get to see so much more of the country than staying at on place for a week. if a park is boring and you saw everything in 1 day... next morning pack up and head to the next one or if you like it then stay another day. Last year i went from chicago through minnesota.. looped around to michigan from canada and came back down michigan to chicago. 2000 pictures later i got home. There is only 3 rules.... 1. any time you are on the road... if you see a brown attraction sign... we go there. 2. Always know where the walmarts are.. and you have to poo in it. 3. Always try to see where the repair shops are near where you are going to be. Their is nothing worse than having a U joint go bad with everything loaded up and having to baby it down the free way. I strongly recoomend everyone takes a trip like this. Ive been doing it for 6 years.
post #113 of 121 Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 AM
DonNaughtington

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
You'll be surprised how much easier your Jeep is to drive pulling a loaded trailer than having all your gear strapped to a rack up top and a basket hanging off the rear of your Jeep. And if you're just hauling camping gear to a national park starting off with a little HF trailer with 12" rims/tires will work just fine for you. But figure like building a Jeep, you'll get the fever to modify it. They're fun little projects which come in quite handy when you want to haul your camping gear to the parks.

Here's my trailer build thread that others have mentioned. I started it, but it's due to a lot of other folks contributing ideas and builds that have kept it going.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/

If you do start a trailer build, post on this link, or my link (above), or start your own thread but give us a link to your build so we can follow along.

You might find this interesting: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f312/...nture-1371427/

The little trailer is what made this Alaska/Canada trip pleasurable - being able to haul all our gear and not having it strapped all over the Jeep.
i will check those out today for sure.
post #114 of 121 Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 AM
DonNaughtington

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBender View Post
I like the blue trailer, what is it and how much was it? Looks like it may have military or farm roots by the tires?

Once you start a build post it up on ArmyRN's thread as I suspect all the trailer guys are connected into it.
Its a 1946 Sears Roebuck and CO. 17" wheels and 1500lbs rating. I got it for $300. Super solid. Its a civilian version of a military trailer. I post on armys thread.
post #115 of 121 Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
bobdog
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Its a 1946 Sears Roebuck and CO. 17" wheels and 1500lbs rating. I got it for $300. Super solid. Its a civilian version of a military trailer. I post on armys thread.
No thread jacking here...post away anytime. I'll see you on army's thread in the meantime.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
post #116 of 121 Old 04-10-2014, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
bobdog
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So, really late night last night, but got it all put back together. Going to test drive it this AM and if all goes well, I'll come back, throw some welds on and hit the road. I'll post some pics from the road if I can get internet.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
post #117 of 121 Old 04-14-2014, 06:46 AM
DonNaughtington

whats the status
post #118 of 121 Old 07-13-2014, 01:14 AM
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just picked up the HF trailer, will be using your thread to build mine really digging what you have done so far!

89 YJ 4.2L
96 XJ 4.0L
http://www.jeepsunclassified.com
post #119 of 121 Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 AM
mtnecho
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
AXle & Hubs

Bobdog,
How have the axle and hubs worked out for you with the tires so far? My trailer has been on the original HF for a while and I'm thinking it's time to go ahead and upgrade (little things make me nervous on the highway).

Please let us know if you've had any issues since you've had them awhile. Also, 2 more questions...

For the springs, where'd you find the light duty 26 inchers? (I can only find them at 1K per, not the 500# or so).

And what did you finally decide to do for the fenders?
post #120 of 121 Old 07-14-2014, 07:10 PM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've been wondering about how Bobdog's trip went with the new springs too. Those 235/75/15" tires really made it look sharp, and it looks like he nailed it with the axle width.

One place to find the springs you're asking about is here: http://www.stengelbros.com/UtilitySprings.htm

Check out part numbers US-1001 and US-1029. I used the 26" springs (US-1001) on my trailer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.