Micro-trailer build...sort of! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Micro-trailer build...sort of!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #76
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearinNM View Post
Bob,

Thanks for the update, and it looks good. And I would gladly have poor welding skills, than none at all. Maybe one of these days. You mentioned rubberized paint. Do you recall the brand, and what are your thoughts so far?

And lets be real, it is a Jeep accessory. It will never end or be done ;^)

Craig
Craig, Sorry it took so long to respond. I used Dupli-color professional rubberized undercoat spray on stuff. Here's a pic. Also, you are so right, it IS a Jeep accessory so I'll likely keep adding things to it. I added a bu light, a shovel holder and shovel, an interior light and plan on adding another interior light. ...and who knows what else?

img_0369.jpg  

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #77
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

A few updates. I installed mud flaps, a reverse light with switch, an interior light, a spare tire holder and a shovel.
img_0377.jpg   img_0374.jpg   img_0376.jpg   img_0372.jpg   img_0373.jpg  

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #78
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

You were right, it's never done. What's next? Party lights? Maybe not, but a bigger interior light tomorrow.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #79
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Where did you get the mudflaps?
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #80
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Where did you get the mudflaps?
I bought a cheap pair of rubber mudflaps on line that were 12" wide. Then all I did was cut one in half and mounted them up. If they get lost or torn off, I have another one to replace these with. They were only $10 or so. Here is the name. Got them on Amazon.

Highland 1007300 Black Heavy Duty Rubber Splash Guard - 2 Piece $9.01

Quite the deal.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #81
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just got back from the maiden voyage and all worked out great. Over 500 miles of road, with 300 of it on bad dirt roads and the trailer worked better than expected. Only one minor mis-hap and I'd say that was pretty good (the gas cans fell off the back after my rigging failed). But, I've already figured a way to fix that and so next voyage out "should" be without any problems. The gas cans (NATO style) survived without a drop being spilled, but they're a little worse for wear. Oh, and the bigger interior light came loose, but that was my fault. I didn't use the correct epoxy to mount it. That will be fixed as well. Was pleasantly surprised at how it all turned out and can't wait for the next trip. Will post pics in the AM.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #82
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm looking forward to seeing the trip pictures. Glad your maiden voyage worked out well.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #83
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Great build, I'm currently working on something very similar. Did you ever do the axle? I plan to do mine in reverse order(tires and axle swap first, then plan a floor and functional sides for now).
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #84
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowismellow View Post
Great build, I'm currently working on something very similar. Did you ever do the axle? I plan to do mine in reverse order(tires and axle swap first, then plan a floor and functional sides for now).
Sorry about not keeping up with this thread. I've been so busy at work, you can't believe it. I omnly had that one trip, but it was a good one. Got to test the trailer out on all kinds of road and a bunch of off road. It held up well. No problems what so ever. I do believe I'll change the axle out soon as a little more height would do wonders. But, in the end, so far so good.

Good luck with your build. Post some picks here if you haven't built it yet and also if you have. It would be nice to see someone else's micro trailer build too.

ride on...

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #85
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
Where to start:

First lesson is MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS SQUARE. I used a square, tape measure and level to make the trailer and I still got it out of square in the end. Not sure what more I can do, but on the next trailer build, I'll be more careful. Being this was my first build, I didn't realize how in the end, a little off in the beginning will amplify itself a lot by the time you get done. What happened was the top of the bed was not square and I had to build a side bracket in order to get the hinges to attach to the bed/lid properly. You might be able to see it in one of the pics. It's kind of monkey rigged and disappointing to say the least. But, now I know.

Second, DO ALL THE WELDING FIRST.. In other words, plan out ALL your welds including tops, hinges, hooks, and of course frame and sides, etc. As you can see by my thread, I put various things on as I went along (aka the wood siding, etc) and still had other things to weld on (aka the lid). This wasted a lot of time and energy as I had to grind off paint and so forth before I could weld more stuff, and then go back and repaint. I even painted the frame after I finished it. That was a mistake. Talk about wasting time grinding off paint and repainting. On that note I would weld everything, including the lid, and then paint it, before putting the siding on as well. Siding last.

Third, I would use a 2x2 for the tongue instead of a 2x3 piece of steel beam. I'm not a very good welder and so thought I would compensate by overbuilding. I even put bolts through some of the frame parts just to make sure the thing won't fall apart if my welds fail. I've learned a lot about my machine (Hobart 135) and my welding now that I'm pretty secure with my welding, so I wouldn't overbuild my next one. This was meant to be a practice project anyway. Now of course I have to beat it up on some pretty bad roads just to see if my welds will in fact hold.

Finally, take your time. I know this took me almost a year in time to make, but most of that time I wasn't working on the trailer. In terms of total time spent on it I would guess it took maybe 6-8 weeks, mostly weekends. In not really planning it out (which I didn't) and going by the seat of my pants, I really wasted time, energy and money. Plan it out first, then as they say measure twice and cut once. In my case, I'll measure three or four times on the next one. And again, plan, plan, plan. I was so anxious in the beginning that I failed in that department. It cost me.

I am glad that I made it with encouragement from the Jeep Forum readers and the idea by ArmyRN. In spite of the faults of it, I'm pretty pleased with it. I hope to get a few years of use out of it, and then build a "mini" trailer. I've always referred to this as a micro trailer due to it's size. The next one will be a bit bigger and be from scratch. And if I copied anyone with some of my ideas, I apologize if I angered you. I saw a lot out there that I really liked and so I borrowed the ideas for this trailer. In some cases, from some of the really nice trailer builders on this forum. The cool part about this is it cost very little in the end. Which was a must as unfortunately I can't afford those "Cadillac" trailers. They're great trailers I'm sure, but I just can't afford them right now. Maybe someday. Besides, I feel good about building something by myself and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Well now it's time for a road trip. We'll see how it all works out finally.
Great Advice, I'm researching and your build provides great insight.

I look forward to your next project. You imply you will build the frame from scratch, I wonder if you've thought about materials? You also said you'd make it a bit bigger [from micro to mini] ... what size are you thinking?

Your experience and thoughts are valuable to me, since I have none in trailer building.

Thanks,

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #86
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

At this point I haven't been able to think about the next trip with this trailer, let alone how I'm going to build the next one. My guess is that I'll use a 2x2 beam with the same for the frame. AS far as beyond that, I'm not sure. I am comfortable with my welds so it'll all be welded. I'll be poking my head into threads with others who've built trailers from scratch and get ideas. I'll also look at the Pro trailers and see how they did stuff. I haven't changed out the axle and wheels and may not for this one. I don't know. But I definitely will with the next one. It may turn into a regular size trailer in the end. We'll just see. One thing I really like about some of the trailers are the rear fold down dorr to ba able to use it as a table. And depending on how big it does become I might try and put a tent get up on it. I like that idea too. I guess we'll jsut have to wait and see what comes of it. It will probably be another year before I can get to it as I jsut had back surgery and won't be doing much lifting or bending in thew next year. I'll start a new thread when I start the build. I think this one has gotten it's use at least as far as my build. And I've linked it to ArmyRN's thread. His has multiple posts with lots of trailer builds. I appreciate thought that people are still looking at this one, cause I think I might have something to offer the micro/mini trailer world. At least so those can learn from my mistakes. Have fun and trailer on.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #87
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey,

I've been through a few threads with micro and mini trailers being built and I'm about to make my next trailer. I'll start by saving cash here and there and then pull the hammer on it. I like so many of the builds, that I'm going to have o back through these threads while I'm saving my mullah. The hardest part is going to decide what I'll put on it and how. I'll still use my Micro as an off-roading Jeep trailer, but this one I'm not sure yet. Maybe a mall crawler type. We'll just have to see. I post pics when I start the build. Happy Trails!

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #88
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/a...build-1545447/

This is a link to a build thread. He's just started so keep checking back for build pics.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #89
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Build Bobdog! cant wait to see your next one!
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #90
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well,

For the time being, instead of building a new trailer (though I have ton's of ideas) I can only afford to upgrade my current build. It's about time I did something to it, it's just I haven't had the funds. I sold a trailer last week that I didn't need anymore and am using the funds from that to pay for the upgrades.

I am finally going to change out the little training wheels and throw on some 15" rims and tires plus a new, bigger axle. Springs will come down the road. So, I just ordered the parts from Trailerpartsdepot.com (for a good deal) and now will wait for them to get here. When they come in, I'll do a small write up with pics, as there really isn't too much I can say since ArmyRN has a couple of great write ups over on his thread. He really explains it well and gives you some math to boot to determine what equipment you will need. Page 1-2 I think are the first discussions about axle/wheel/tire upgrades. anyway, I'll post more then.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.