Micro-trailer build...sort of! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Micro-trailer build...sort of!

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 12-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #61
revrok
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Nice work... I usually wait before I say something. Everytime I have thought of a different approach you take it before the thought gets too far and many touches I didn't think of... subscribed.

revrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #62
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well, the end of phase one has come. I've put it all together including bolting the wood to the frame, caulking the seams, installing the lights and fenders and welding on the storage box. So here it is. Phase 2 will be the lid and phase 3 the axle and tires. But for now, I have a trailer worth using. A micro-trailer. Thanks for reading along on this journey with me. I'll enjoy it for now. We can talk about the issues later. Modelo time...

Tim
img_0033.jpg   img_0035.jpg   img_0026.jpg   img_0031.jpg   img_0030.jpg  

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #63
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It looks good. I especially like the box on the front.
armyRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #64
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good job with the trailer! I had bought one of those from HF so I could use it behind my golf cart. I removed the stock tires/wheels and put golf cart tires/wheels on it plus built stake rails for it.

christmas-parade-preparation-12-2010.jpg

christmas-yard-art-12-2010.jpg
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #65
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool. I like the whole get up...

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #66
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm finally back at it. Got the lid put on today with shocks and all. Here are some pics of it unpainted.
img_0092.jpg   img_0094.jpg   img_0096.jpg   img_0098.jpg  

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #67
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks nice! Especially with the struts to keep it open.
armyRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #68
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The welding is awful but for a first try at welding sheet metal at least I got it on there without burning any holes through it. Now some sanding, cleaning caulking and paint.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #69
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nearing the end. Painted the tub and the lid, inside and out with rubberized paint. Mounted the lid straps. Now I just need a couple of handles and a bit of touch up paint and I'm done. FINALLY! woo-hoo. Time for a road trip to the Gila Wilderness.....
img_0292.jpg   img_0300.jpg  

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 04-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #70
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

On the Jeep
img_0304.jpg   img_0303.jpg  

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 04-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #71
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Off Jeep
img_0316.jpg  

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #72
BearinNM
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bob,

Thanks for the update, and it looks good. And I would gladly have poor welding skills, than none at all. Maybe one of these days. You mentioned rubberized paint. Do you recall the brand, and what are your thoughts so far?

And lets be real, it is a Jeep accessory. It will never end or be done ;^)

Craig
BearinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #73
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So is there any thing that you would do different ?? Lesson learned ??
lockedwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #74
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Where to start:

First lesson is MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS SQUARE. I used a square, tape measure and level to make the trailer and I still got it out of square in the end. Not sure what more I can do, but on the next trailer build, I'll be more careful. Being this was my first build, I didn't realize how in the end, a little off in the beginning will amplify itself a lot by the time you get done. What happened was the top of the bed was not square and I had to build a side bracket in order to get the hinges to attach to the bed/lid properly. You might be able to see it in one of the pics. It's kind of monkey rigged and disappointing to say the least. But, now I know.

Second, DO ALL THE WELDING FIRST.. In other words, plan out ALL your welds including tops, hinges, hooks, and of course frame and sides, etc. As you can see by my thread, I put various things on as I went along (aka the wood siding, etc) and still had other things to weld on (aka the lid). This wasted a lot of time and energy as I had to grind off paint and so forth before I could weld more stuff, and then go back and repaint. I even painted the frame after I finished it. That was a mistake. Talk about wasting time grinding off paint and repainting. On that note I would weld everything, including the lid, and then paint it, before putting the siding on as well. Siding last.

Third, I would use a 2x2 for the tongue instead of a 2x3 piece of steel beam. I'm not a very good welder and so thought I would compensate by overbuilding. I even put bolts through some of the frame parts just to make sure the thing won't fall apart if my welds fail. I've learned a lot about my machine (Hobart 135) and my welding now that I'm pretty secure with my welding, so I wouldn't overbuild my next one. This was meant to be a practice project anyway. Now of course I have to beat it up on some pretty bad roads just to see if my welds will in fact hold.

Finally, take your time. I know this took me almost a year in time to make, but most of that time I wasn't working on the trailer. In terms of total time spent on it I would guess it took maybe 6-8 weeks, mostly weekends. In not really planning it out (which I didn't) and going by the seat of my pants, I really wasted time, energy and money. Plan it out first, then as they say measure twice and cut once. In my case, I'll measure three or four times on the next one. And again, plan, plan, plan. I was so anxious in the beginning that I failed in that department. It cost me.

I am glad that I made it with encouragement from the Jeep Forum readers and the idea by ArmyRN. In spite of the faults of it, I'm pretty pleased with it. I hope to get a few years of use out of it, and then build a "mini" trailer. I've always referred to this as a micro trailer due to it's size. The next one will be a bit bigger and be from scratch. And if I copied anyone with some of my ideas, I apologize if I angered you. I saw a lot out there that I really liked and so I borrowed the ideas for this trailer. In some cases, from some of the really nice trailer builders on this forum. The cool part about this is it cost very little in the end. Which was a must as unfortunately I can't afford those "Cadillac" trailers. They're great trailers I'm sure, but I just can't afford them right now. Maybe someday. Besides, I feel good about building something by myself and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Well now it's time for a road trip. We'll see how it all works out finally.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 04-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #75
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip !!!! Enjoy your trip !!!
lockedwheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.