Micro-trailer build...sort of! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Micro-trailer build...sort of!

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #16
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Harbor Freight may still have them on sale at $199, but you'll have to check. That's $50 less than what I paid. Plus there are always coupons on line they put out. Just search around. I plan on finishing this one soon and will feel more comfortable about building a mini-trailer then (sort of like a micro-trailer but just bigger). But, I'll get lots of use out of this one first.

Here's link to a real nice micro-trailer that a club member built using a similar platform. It turned out great and is an inspiration for mine.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/

Good luck and a big welcome to the forum and the Micro-Trailer Club.

Any questions just feel free to ask. We're all here to help each other out and I would definitely say that I use all the help I can get. These folks are the best around here.

Tim

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #17
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great start to a great custom build. I always enjoy reading threads when people use what they can afford to get the task done. The projects I have the least amount of cash but the most amount of time in seem to always be the ones I am the most proud of.

Thanks for sharing and keep the posts flowing. Congrats
hesterj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #18
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I have to agree with that sentiment. Besides, I'm having a blast and I think when I'm done with the trailer I'll be proud of it, no matter how it turns out.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #19
armyRN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilHonsvick View Post
armyrn, Howdy

I'm going to build my micro trailer and would like what you used, and cost.

Thanks
gil
Here's the link to what I did for my little trailer:

I tried to write it as a mini-trailer primer. Read thoroughly the above thread to get an idea of options you can take and their costs; between that link and this current trailer build write-up by Bobdog they should answer most of your questions. Especially check out post #27 on the provided link. With the Black trailer you can get just the bare frame with axle and tires & rims, and then add metal floring (or plywood), and metal stake sides (or make your own out of lumber or whatever). The red ones don't have optional metal flooring or stake sides, but their buy-in is cheaper. The Black trailers will start out about $100 or so more than the Red ones (Red ones most often purchased from Harbor Freight).

These little trailers are like Jeeps in that you can take a base model and customize it to suit your needs and budget. I went with the "Black" trailer; this current thread started by Bobdog is based on a "Red" trailer. He can weld (and I can't), so he can do things with his trailer that I couldn't do with mine. That's part of the fun.

I've got a little over $1000 in mine, but I went overboard to show what could be done with a mini trailer as a starting point; plus I needed a little trailer and wanted a project. If you subtracted the wider axle and larger tires and rims you could shave another $400-$500.

When I did my little black trailer initially, it was $250 about and that included the metal floor. With the added wooden stake sides and spare tire, and tag I had about $450 in it. Putting the larger wheels & tires, and wider axle, spare tire carrier, etc. it put it over $1000.

Hopefully with a little reading it will answer your questions. Of course please ask us if you still have some questions (now or after you start your trailer project). And if you do a little trailer project, post a picture with a brief write-up so we can all see what you did. It might give others an idea or inspiration.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #20
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Here's the link to what I did for my little trailer:

I tried to write it as a mini-trailer primer. Read thoroughly the above thread to get an idea of options you can take and their costs; between that link and this current trailer build write-up by Bobdog they should answer most of your questions. Especially check out post #27 on the provided link. With the Black trailer you can get just the bare frame with axle and tires & rims, and then add metal floring (or plywood), and metal stake sides (or make your own out of lumber or whatever). The red ones don't have optional metal flooring or stake sides, but their buy-in is cheaper. The Black trailers will start out about $100 or so more than the Red ones (Red ones most often purchased from Harbor Freight).

These little trailers are like Jeeps in that you can take a base model and customize it to suit your needs and budget. I went with the "Black" trailer; this current thread started by Bobdog is based on a "Red" trailer. He can weld (and I can't), so he can do things with his trailer that I couldn't do with mine. That's part of the fun.

I've got a little over $1000 in mine, but I went overboard to show what could be done with a mini trailer as a starting point; plus I needed a little trailer and wanted a project. If you subtracted the wider axle and larger tires and rims you could shave another $400-$500.

When I did my little black trailer initially, it was $250 about and that included the metal floor. With the added wooden stake sides and spare tire, and tag I had about $450 in it. Putting the larger wheels & tires, and wider axle, spare tire carrier, etc. it put it over $1000.

Hopefully with a little reading it will answer your questions. Of course please ask us if you still have some questions (now or after you start your trailer project). And if you do a little trailer project, post a picture with a brief write-up so we can all see what you did. It might give others an idea or inspiration.
I have to agree completely. It's all for fun and in the end you get a useful product for relatively little money. I know I'm having the time of my life on this project.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #21
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Still here; just work has been a bear. Been on the road. Gonna p/u steel tomorrow and get back to it. I've decided on tongue and groove sides. I know it's been done, but I like it. I also plan on a lid. However, I'm not sold on steel all around. For one it's heavy and also here in the desert of southern NM it's hot. It's like an oven inside a steel box (as a matter of fact it IS an oven), and I don't feel like cooking my gear. But, I want to keep the rain/snow off the gear, too. I'll post this weekend when I get some work done.

edit: as a matter of fact it is 106 outside my door right now. Soon to get warmer still.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #22
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Couldn't wait, so I put 2 fuel/water tank holders on the rear end. I first welded a 1.5" angle iron piece on as a lip. Then welded and bolted the carriers to the angle iron.
img_0225.jpg   img_0229.jpg   img_0233.jpg  

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 06-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #23
armyRN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking nice. Where did you get the gas cans? Here in WA if it got over 70 degrees outside today it wasn't by much.
Unread 06-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #24
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Looking nice. Where did you get the gas cans? Here in WA if it got over 70 degrees outside today it wasn't by much.
Wow, 70 sounds great. I got the cans online, but apparently they are no longer selling them. It sounds like they got busted for selling non-CARB compliant cans in California. They are real NATO cans though. The spout even works correctly. The carriers are just Blitz brand. I was going to put them on the deck in the front, but was reading a thread about that and apparently as you use fuel from the cans, it'll throw your 60/40 ratio of weight off. So, they said to put them on the back. So as you did with your tank, I did, too. Picking up the angle iron for the rest of the trailer tomorrow. Hope my welder will hold out in the heat. I would like to get the frame finished tomorrow and ready for the tongue and groove sides. I still can't decide if I want a wood or metal floor. Thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #25
outlanderbz
2002 TJ Wrangler 

how has your build been going? I am looking to start the same project as I need a small trailer to haul camping/hiking gear to and from places.
outlanderbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #26
unrealtrip
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your trailer build is looking really good so far.
www.secretreality.com
unrealtrip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #27
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The trailer has been coming along slowly due to work and being out of town. I got the steel corner the other day and will weld it up over the next couple of weeks. The plan is to build a cage to support tongue and groove sides and a steel roof. Plus the plan is to have a tail gate maybe. I'll post pics as I go along. Thanks for the interest.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
Unread 08-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #28
armyRN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to seeing how you finish off the Trailer tub.

Of course, no Jeep trailer is complete without a "Jeep" tailgate. Here's a suggestion for a tailgate - a Willys reproduction tailgate. Measures 37" across, and 15" tall. Not the cheapest option, but would look cool.
willys-tailgate-001.jpg  
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #29
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

GREAT Build! I want to make one so bad....
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #30
unrealtrip
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post
great build! I want to make one so bad....
doooo eaaaaaat
www.secretreality.com
unrealtrip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.