Max. Flex vs. Useful Flex and The Anti-rock - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Max. Flex vs. Useful Flex and The Anti-rock

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #91
BigGord
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry to revive this thread, but I have questions and I am confused. I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I have a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon with a custom 4" lift with a 1.25" body lift and a 1" mml. I am running 35's.

1. I now understand the currie antirock system and why it would be good. I plan on installing one.
2. What about changing out the oe tie rod system with a hd one? If so, which do people recommend. I am leaning towards the Currie.
3. Is a steering stabilizer useful? If so, will any kit do or is one better than another? It seems to me that they are all about the same.
4. One other question, and sorry about this one, but what purpose do jj's serve? I have tried to read up on them, but I am still confused. Any help would be much appreciated.

One day, I hope to be up on this stuff as much as some of you so that I can help others.

Thanks.

BigGord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #92
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGord
Sorry to revive this thread, but I have questions and I am confused. I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I have a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon with a custom 4" lift with a 1.25" body lift and a 1" mml. I am running 35's.

1. I now understand the currie antirock system and why it would be good. I plan on installing one.
2. What about changing out the oe tie rod system with a hd one? If so, which do people recommend. I am leaning towards the Currie.
3. Is a steering stabilizer useful? If so, will any kit do or is one better than another? It seems to me that they are all about the same.
4. One other question, and sorry about this one, but what purpose do jj's serve? I have tried to read up on them, but I am still confused. Any help would be much appreciated.

One day, I hope to be up on this stuff as much as some of you so that I can help others.

Thanks.
Using a steering stabilizer is fine. It helps dampen the steering feedback from bod and whatnot, and that helps extend the life of your steering. Just don't try to replace a stabilizer to mask a problem.

Johnny Joints, or any flex joint, allows the suspension to twist and articulate without binding the control arms. This will allow greater wheel travel. A solid (ish) joint will also take out unpredictability in the steering an suspension.
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #93
BigGord
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks, another question on the antirocks. As I understand it, when you install the system, the two antirock bars are supposed to be parallel to the ground. If this is the case, when you are offroading and the wheels are articulating, do the antirock bars articulate up and down dramatically, that is, leave parallel and go to an angle greater than or less than 90 degrees?

The reason I ask is that my custom-made bumper will allow me to install the nylon bushings and the sway bars into the front oe tube on the Jeep, but the bumper will get in the way if there is a lot of up and down motion on the antirock bars as the ends would hit up against the bumper. I am just wondering if I am going to have to grind a notch into my bumper so the ends attached to the nylon bushings can move up and down.

Thanks.
BigGord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #94
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Those are the arms that engage the ends of the sway bar itself. Yes, they move up and down as the axle articulates and, therefore, the sway bar twists. If the bumper is in the way, notch it. The arms don't need to be at any relative angle to the ground. The goal is that, at full droop, the arms can't invert and at full bump they don't hit anything. Put them at whatever angle @ ride height accomplishes those goals. Generally, you'll end up with the arms about 10* upward relative to the horizontal.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #95
Martin_N
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Ride Height
Read through the the OP and check out the Additional Resources at the bottom. There's an install on a 2" lifted Jeep that'll be helpful for a 2.5" lift. If you can find some double threaded end links from McMaster Carr instead of getting a custom machined link that should save a pile.

For what it's worth, the SwayLOC is designed for rigs from 0-6+ inches of lift. The Anti-rock works best with rigs 4" and higher. Lower than that, especially 2" or lower Jeeps, and you get into issues with not having enough threads on the end links.
Been reading through this thread and want to find out more if anti-rock works or does not work well with a 2 - 2.5 inch lift. The links in the OP seem to be dead so can't find more info there.

Can you (or somebody else) tell a bit more abt the use of the anti-rock system with smaller lifts?

Fyi I will install my OME 2-2.5inch lift soon and looking into options for quick disco's & anti-rock / swayloc (although anti-rock is pushing the budget already so the swayloc isn't really an option anyway)

Any thoughts on using the anti-rock with the OME 2-2.5inch lift are most welcome.

Thanks,
Martin
Martin_N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #96
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_N View Post
Been reading through this thread and want to find out more if anti-rock works or does not work well with a 2 - 2.5 inch lift. The links in the OP seem to be dead so can't find more info there.

Can you (or somebody else) tell a bit more abt the use of the anti-rock system with smaller lifts?

Fyi I will install my OME 2-2.5inch lift soon and looking into options for quick disco's & anti-rock / swayloc (although anti-rock is pushing the budget already so the swayloc isn't really an option anyway)

Any thoughts on using the anti-rock with the OME 2-2.5inch lift are most welcome.

Thanks,
Martin
You'll potentially have to shorten the links but otherwise will work great.
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #97
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Quote:

Thanks,
Martin

I've run my SwayLoc originally with a 2" BDS lift and it really sold me on the performance of an off road purpose anti-sway bar. Prior to the SwayLoc, I was running TeraFlex's quicker disconnects and while they were a great product, they did not offer the same control on extreme camber obstacles, that a SwayLoc or Antirock gives you.

I've since changed out my suspension from a 2" BDS lift to a 2" OME lift and I did not have to adjust my SwayLoc (links).

You still get flex but with control as depicted in the pics below (SwayLoc + 2" BDS suspension lift) .

Again, I get the same performance outcome with the OME lift and SwayLoc .
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #98
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Been reading through this thread and want to find out more if anti-rock works or does not work well with a 2 - 2.5 inch lift.
Why do you think a fixed-rate torsion bar cares how tall your springs are?
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #99
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks,
Martin
Read my trail reports, look at my pics, or even watch my vids. I have the OME 2" HD lift with the Antirock.....love it.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #100
Martin_N
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Why do you think a fixed-rate torsion bar cares how tall your springs are?
Well I saw couple of comments about fitting issues on smaller lifts but turns out this is just about the end links (which are appearantly made to suit larger lifts of say 4 inch), and even those don't always have to be shortenend.

Thanks all for the answers. Got some thinking to do if I want to spend the extra dollars on the currie system....

Thanks,
Martin
Martin_N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #101
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I saw couple of comments about fitting issues on smaller lifts but turns out this is just about the end links (which are appearantly made to suit larger lifts of say 4 inch), and even those don't always have to be shortenend.
Correct, the links are the only thing that will need to be modified, and that's a very quick and easy job. You asked if the AR does or does not work well at x"....and the answer is yes, height doesn't matter.
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #102
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

when the weather gets warmer i will be installing the front AR. I have 3" of suspension lift so I'm assuming i can knock off 1/2" on each side of the connecting rod things? Also, can anybody tell me if i'll need to extend my brake lines?
eduardostewart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #103
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, that should work, cutting 1/2" off each end. It's around 2" lift height where there are problems with the stock links.

And I don't think you'll need to extend your brake lines.
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #104
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks!
eduardostewart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #105
RX4ROCS
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Good write-up
RX4ROCS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.