Max. Flex vs. Useful Flex and The Anti-rock - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Max. Flex vs. Useful Flex and The Anti-rock

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #46
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like I missed all the drama about the recent problems with the SwayLOC. Zero issues with mine still. Wait, I take that back. I did have the mechanism jamb on me. Nasty wheel'n run where mud got caked EVERYWHERE. Took about 2 minutes of cleaning to dislodge the mud and then everything worked perfectly again. Otherwise, no breakage, damage, other other malfunctions whatsoever.

FWIW, I'm on the 2nd generation SwayLOC. It's sounds like it's the 3rd generation that are having the issues.

Also, the heim joints on one of the end links are starting to wear and loosen up. I've had the SwayLOC on now for almost 4 year so I'm not exactly surprised. I think these are simply wear items that need to be replaced about every 3-4 years.

The arms are still clamped nice and tight to the splines. No wobbly arms like on the Anti-Rocks.

Bottom line, I still like the concept of the dual rate sway bar.

Unread 02-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #47
rlk_99
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3tv View Post
Here's a pic:

As much as other people have recommended a front Anti-rock I would also recommend combining it with a rear Anti-rock. I drive this Jeep as a daily driver, and even with 7" of lift and 37" tires it drives fantastic.
How much body roll do you get with this set up? I need a swaybar for the rear of mine. It was taken off when the new lift was installed.
Unread 02-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #48
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

The spring unseating and not pushing the axle down is only half the flex story. The purpose of flex is not just traction, but to relieve weight off the front or rear so the jeep doesnt tip over one way or the other.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #49
muddernaught
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Lupinsea & other SwayLoc'rs,

What are you running in the rear? Is the SwayLoc up front, stock in the rear, sufficient? I run 4"+ (not really sure, it was on the Jeep when I got it), 33s, and stock sways all around. I was planning on an anti rock, but find myself sold on the SwayLoc after researching and reading this thread. Just looking to tighten it up on road and loosen it up in the muck. Also need to get rid of the front sway bar to fit a bumper (don't ask ).
muddernaught is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 02:18 AM   #50
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I run the stock swaybar in the rear. Both the SwayLOC and Anti-rock are designed to work with it so you'll want to keep the rear swaybar.

You mentioned the bumper clearance. Make sure the SwayLOC / Anti-rock will work with the bumper you want. Both swaybar systems stick out a few inches on either side of the frame where the front crossmember is. The bumper needs to have a "pocket" there with enough clearance. The stock bumper will work with some trimming. Savvy Offroad's bumper will work, and the ARB bull bar with (I think) some trimming, too.
Unread 06-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #51
muddernaught
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome!

Thanks for the reply and excellent information
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #52
jeepjones
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Swayloc $875! Currie Anti-Rock $300, I'll take the Currie thank you.
jeepjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #53
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjones View Post
Swayloc $875! Currie Anti-Rock $300, I'll take the Currie thank you.
Agreed...and I've been very happy with my Currie AntiRock for several years now.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #54
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

SwayLOC $500
SwayLOC $500

I don't know who's selling an $875 SwayLOC but that's nuts. The simple $500 flip-a-lever version works great and is well worth the extra $200 over the Currie in my opinion. But it's all personal preference. I like the stiffer roll resistance the SwayLOC offers for street driving.
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #55
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

After having some serious time doing some serious wheeling on the Antirock, I am a believer and will NEVER go back to fully discod.

There were so many times on my last trip, that I would have for sure flopped if I was fully discod. Doing some wacky downhills where I had to back up and some where I had to make sharp turns. Man I have seen the light.

The ideal setup is a dual rate IMO.
image-2046631524.jpg   image-3286399092.jpg   image-2608171751.jpg   image-2573401595.jpg   image-288601251.jpg  

image-4264357272.jpg  
Unread 07-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #56
muddernaught
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
You mentioned the bumper clearance. Make sure the SwayLOC / Anti-rock will work with the bumper you want. Both swaybar systems stick out a few inches on either side of the frame where the front crossmember is. The bumper needs to have a "pocket" there with enough clearance. The stock bumper will work with some trimming. Savvy Offroad's bumper will work, and the ARB bull bar with (I think) some trimming, too.
The bumper is the Metal Cloak aluminum bumper. I'm installing with the stock sway bar this weekend. Anyone installed a SwayLoc with a MC front bumper? Any trimming/adjustments necessary?
Unread 08-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #57
TallPieman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been looking at this......

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310332943...84.m1423.l2649

oops posted this in wrong thread... sorry
TallPieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #58
lucky-13
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
I run the stock swaybar in the rear. Both the SwayLOC and Anti-rock are designed to work with it so you'll want to keep the rear swaybar.

Do you think the SwayLOC would work with this setup (6" Skyjacker LA lift and Body Armor bumper)? The bumper bolts right in using the stock mounting holes but there are no pockets as the bumper is solid on all sides - when you say they "stick out a few inches" I assume you mean toward the front/bumper. Here's a couple of pics.
ruby-027.jpg   ruby-028.jpg  
Colorado Jeep Club Member #513
05 LJ Rubicon Sahara #787 : 6" Skyjacker Longarm Lift
07 WK Overland : It's all about the Hemi : XK/WK Owners Club Member #13
lucky-13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #59
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Both the SwayLOC and Antirock use the crossmember to pass through the torsion bar. It looks like your bumper's mount is blocking it.
xmember.jpg  
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #60
lucky-13
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
Both the SwayLOC and Antirock use the crossmember to pass through the torsion bar. It looks like your bumper's mount is blocking it.
So does it actually pass through from one frame rail to the other or just connect to the sides (I assume there is already a torsion bar in there)? I'm wondering if some drilling/cutting in the outside of the bumper mounts would provide sufficient access without weakening the bumper mount.

BTW I'm in love with your avatar pics!
Colorado Jeep Club Member #513
05 LJ Rubicon Sahara #787 : 6" Skyjacker Longarm Lift
07 WK Overland : It's all about the Hemi : XK/WK Owners Club Member #13
lucky-13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.