Max. Flex vs. Useful Flex and The Anti-rock - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Max. Flex vs. Useful Flex and The Anti-rock

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #31
fyrfyter43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
Dang, that's too bad.

Well, after about 2 years the heim joints on my anit-rock are wearing out and need to be replaced. I may pick up the supplies from McMaster Carr including $4 in the threaded rod and jsut make some new links instead of trying to find "just the right" 20 pitch heim joint.
Or you could always just get the heims from McMaster-Carr.

1/2" - 20 heim joints, female shank, greasable.

RH thread: p/n 4444T231 $6.98
LH thread: p/n 4444T232 $6.98

Click!

fyrfyter43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 11:56 AM   #32
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up upgrading to the SwayLOC. Damn, it's an awesome piece of equipment. The Anti-rock is good but having the second stiffer torsion rod for the street setting is great. TJ corners really flat now. And switching between onroad and offroad takes about 2 seconds and a flip of a lever.
Unread 12-27-2007, 05:31 AM   #33
flexytj79
2001 TJ Wrangler 

just fitted my antirock 2 weeks ago , so much better to drive on and off road
now
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlawless View Post
This should be interesting. Aussies always come up with the best stories.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon 05 LJ View Post
Better yet, why are you looking at the hook??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1500dodge View Post
shes cute an all, but man, if my hook looked like that hook, id never let it out of my sight.
flexytj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #34
kenskis
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I like the explanation, it explains off-road sway bars well. However if you have locking differentials wouldn't you want maximum flex to try and have a level body for you Jeep, while the suspension does all the flexing. I can see that one tire might have very little down force, and thus little traction, but with lockers the other tire should be able to have adequate traction. Am I wrong?
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Red 03 TJ sport l OME lift l ARB's front & rear l 4.11 gears l 32X11.50" MTR's l Nth Degree Tummy Tucker l SYE & CV l Nth Degree Dana 44 slider l Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid l JKS adjustable front track bar l KC slimlights l Rock Rails l IPF H4 headlights l Dynamat
kenskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #35
hoot20
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i have no flex and i'm really wanting to get this but could someone answer this?
- i have a 2.5" coild spacer and a 2" body..... could the anti-rock be installed easily?
- does the anti-rock drive good on the road?
2000 TJ sport "STORMTROOPER" dual tops, 4.0L, 2.5" coil spacer, 2" BL, jks quicker disconnects, worn out 35x12.50 bfg M/Ts, 15x8 d window rock crawlers w/ 4" backspacing, front stinger, custom rear bumper, superwinch lp8500 winch, a to z rocker guards, husky liner floor mats, CB/PA system, daylighters, and straight exhaust

My custom stinger build

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone78 View Post
jeeps don't stuck, they just take breaks every once in a while, in deep holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Dirty Deeds, Done With Jeep!:duhrock:
hoot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #36
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

On Road Handling
The Anti-rock does fine on the road but there's significantly more body lean. If you learn to drive with it, though it's fine. By that I mean: start turning the steering wheel gradually as you approach a corner, this will let the Jeep lean and start loading up the Anti-rock. Then you can feed in more steering input for a smoother, more controled turn. If you just yank the wheel as you get to the turn it'll instead throw the Jeep to one side more dramatically and feel more unsettling. The Anti-rock still works to control the sway (vs. not having a swaybar at all) but it's a softer bar so it allows more body sway.

This is exactly why I upgraded to the SwayLOC. Offroad they have essentially the same performance*. But on-road it's a HUGE world of difference with the SwayLOC being a hair stiffer than a stock swaybar. As such the Jeep responds to steering input faster, it feels a whole lot more stable, and corners worlds flatter than the Anti-rock. It's also more expensive. But if you're looking at a $300 Anti-rock, the extra $200 for the SwayLOC is money well spent for a daily driver.

Ride Height
Read through the the OP and check out the Additional Resources at the bottom. There's an install on a 2" lifted Jeep that'll be helpful for a 2.5" lift. If you can find some double threaded end links from McMaster Carr instead of getting a custom machined link that should save a pile.

For what it's worth, the SwayLOC is designed for rigs from 0-6+ inches of lift. The Anti-rock works best with rigs 4" and higher. Lower than that, especially 2" or lower Jeeps, and you get into issues with not having enough threads on the end links.
Unread 12-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #37
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey lump, how is your sway loc holding up? I'm bout to get the RC 2.5" lift mated to 32x11.5R16 tires and RC dual steering stabilizer. I was about to order some quick disco's bout found your thread. Any updates for us that have never driven w/ a sway-loc or anti-rock?
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #38
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Avoid a dual stabilizer type of steering stabilizer setup. First, the second shock isn't needed for even 35-37" tires, let alone your 32" tires. Second, it just makes the power steering system have to work harder and on a tight-twisty trail on a warm day, it could be enough to cause your PS system to overheat and the PS fluid to boil over. Yes, that happens.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #39
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
Hey lump, how is your sway loc holding up? I'm bout to get the RC 2.5" lift mated to 32x11.5R16 tires and RC dual steering stabilizer. I was about to order some quick disco's bout found your thread. Any updates for us that have never driven w/ a sway-loc or anti-rock?
Lump? I think you're talking to me so . . .

The SwayLOC is holding up better than the Anti-rock.

With the Anti-rock I had problems with the arms loosening up where they clamped on to the torsion rod splines. Don't know what it was but I could never get the bolts tight enough to completely lock down the arms. SO there'd always be some play there. And this is something that I've noticed on every single other Anti-rock that I've run across (I've personally encountered about 7-8 rigs in the NW running the Anti-rock). Every single one . . . loose arms.

Now, the SwayLOC has been installed now for about as long as I had the Anti-rock on. No slop at all. Arms are still clamped nice and tight around the splines. Part of it could be that the SwayLOC "spline clamps" are thicker than the Anti-rock equivalent by about 1/8" or so. I don't doubt the extra materials helps in this regard.

Also, not sure what it is but the heim joints on the SwayLOC set up are also holding up much better. The races in the Anti-rock joints wore out a bit so everything made a jiggling / rattling noise after some time.

Everything on the Anti-rock still functioned well, but was just a bit looser and a bit noisier.

In comparison, the SwayLOC feels as tight and solid as it did when it was installed brand new 2 years ago.

And for what it's worth, the new improvements to the SwayLOC that have come out since I bought mine (which was version 2) look like they are worth the price bump. Mine is still work'n great but for anyone buying the new version . . . cool.
Unread 12-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #40
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Avoid a dual stabilizer type of steering stabilizer setup. First, the second shock isn't needed for even 35-37" tires, let alone your 32" tires. Second, it just makes the power steering system have to work harder and on a tight-twisty trail on a warm day, it could be enough to cause your PS system to overheat and the PS fluid to boil over. Yes, that happens.
Thanks Jerry. Noted. single stabilizer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Lump? I think you're talking to me so . . .

The SwayLOC is holding up better than the Anti-rock.

With the Anti-rock I had problems with the arms loosening up where they clamped on to the torsion rod splines. Don't know what it was but I could never get the bolts tight enough to completely lock down the arms. SO there'd always be some play there. And this is something that I've noticed on every single other Anti-rock that I've run across (I've personally encountered about 7-8 rigs in the NW running the Anti-rock). Every single one . . . loose arms.

Now, the SwayLOC has been installed now for about as long as I had the Anti-rock on. No slop at all. Arms are still clamped nice and tight around the splines. Part of it could be that the SwayLOC "spline clamps" are thicker than the Anti-rock equivalent by about 1/8" or so. I don't doubt the extra materials helps in this regard.

Also, not sure what it is but the heim joints on the SwayLOC set up are also holding up much better. The races in the Anti-rock joints wore out a bit so everything made a jiggling / rattling noise after some time.

Everything on the Anti-rock still functioned well, but was just a bit looser and a bit noisier.

In comparison, the SwayLOC feels as tight and solid as it did when it was installed brand new 2 years ago.

And for what it's worth, the new improvements to the SwayLOC that have come out since I bought mine (which was version 2) look like they are worth the price bump. Mine is still work'n great but for anyone buying the new version . . . cool.
Thanks Lup. Sorry for name mess up. I have another question but I will just PM you that one. Since it's off the sway loc subject.
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #41
jspb16

i like the antirock very good articulation... look to install one on the back
jspb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #42
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So how many of the swayloc guys still love them considered all the breakage reported as of late?
Unread 08-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #43
Redarcher89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I love mine. I have not had any problems with anything breaking on it.
Redarcher89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #44
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc View Post
So how many of the swayloc guys still love them considered all the breakage reported as of late?
It is a tough call. I had one of the earlier models and it broke completely. I now have the later version and it is noisy and the D shape to mount the arm is not a good one. It allows it to move a bit over time and it makes a popping sound every time it moves.
Great idea poor execution.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #45
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

For those that changed out the sway bars on a jk rubicon, how does the removal of the electric disco affect the computer that will now think there is no sway bar there? Does effect the Electronic Stability Controls?
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.