M416 Trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > M416 Trailer

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 07-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

M416 Trailer

See my new project:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2089861910

Mine was $650 plus spare. It is driveable in basically good shape. With surface rust and lots of paint spilled in the bed. The floor of the bed is a bit saggy from being overloaded. Worst problem is the brackets for the drain plugs are missing. I'll have to fab them. I'm guessing 100 hours to finish and another $500.

The plan:
paint to match WJ.
rinoline bed
hard top cover with hydrolic lifts to open like a hood
extend hitch to make longer for tool box on tongue.
Add 2" reciever on back for bike rack.
add spare tire carrier under tongue
add water tank
return jerry can carriers to side
maybe at some point upgrade axle and change hubs to run matching WJ tires and wheels.

3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Neat!
I've always kind of wanted one of those (but never really had a use for one).
Enjoy!
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have updated my M416 build page on expedition portal. I thought someone here might be interested? Maybe not. I also updated my signature to reflect the photobucket like since the old site is no longer in business. (I'm only a year late doing this.)

M416 Build - Expedition Portal Forum
Unread 10-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
swampman
1995 XJ Cherokee 

nice job on the trailer man... im sure you will get lots of use out of it . i built up mine last yr but used a cdn m101 i had a thread going on ih8mud , but got a lot of good ideas on the expedition portal site as well .. i wont bore you with all the details but any way here are a couple of pics of mine if your interested..

swampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #5
RicanLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman View Post
nice job on the trailer man... im sure you will get lots of use out of it . i built up mine last yr but used a cdn m101 i had a thread going on ih8mud , but got a lot of good ideas on the expedition portal site as well .. i wont bore you with all the details but any way here are a couple of pics of mine if your interested..

Nice set up

Can you give me more details on the tent? (brand/website link)I could use some like that for next summer camping trips

Thanks
RicanLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Your trailer is in so much better shape than mine. It looks fantastic! Great job.

I looked for 2 years before I found one that I could go and inspect, buy and drive home. Beggers can't be chosers.

Your lid is fantastic. I am still considering how to put my latch in. I have a recessed folding T handle but it is problematic. I also was thinking that I would add 6-8 folding eyelets (D rings) to secure cargo to the lid.

I will not have the money for a RRT for a long time but the eyelets will allow me to place my backpack tent on top and secure it nicely. I will add the cargo cross bars at some point soon as well but I am trying to determine if they can be bolt on for more flexibility????
Unread 10-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Swampman, I forgot to ask. What PSI and lift weight did you use for your struts???? Where did you get them and how much???
Unread 10-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

nice trailers guys! you're giving me ideas. i have some old XJ leafs...its a start
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
swampman
1995 XJ Cherokee 

sure no problem the tent comes from my way tents in south africa it was very expensive but well worth the money the build quality is top notch and if taken care of should be the last tent i ever have to buy.. see fernando at camping labs for pricing and shipping ..

the gas struts came from mcmaster carr i dont remember how much . i dont think they were more than 70 bucks with hardware.. they are 150lbs each and do the job pretty well my tent weighs almost 160 lbs and the lid and racks almost as much.. the trick is finding the correct mounting position .. i drilled 5 holes on each side of the trailer before i got it right..
Unread 10-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
RARECJ8

have a very similar trailer and want the same tent set-up. It seems more logical than a roof-mounted tent, since you can unhitch and go for a ride and leave trailer as a base camp. mine uses two support arms in the rear to usr in uneven or off camber ground. Have you had any issues using only one support in the rear?

mb

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
swampman
1995 XJ Cherokee 

sorry if you were asking me about the rear support legs ? i have 2.. i tried to keep it real simple so using some 2'' square tube for supprting the tub and tailgate a couple of holes for some pins then inside the 2 '' is a slightly longer piece of 1 1/2, again drilled for the pins in several places so i can adjust the height , some acme threaded rod and a couple of plates for feet .. i just turn the feet out till i get the hieght i need

Unread 10-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
swampman
1995 XJ Cherokee 

sorry airborne lee i hope i havnt taken over your thread here.. if your lookin for a good rtt i wood try camping labs.. they are nice units.. and you can find lots of rtt in the 800 dollar range ..and i see them pop up used on ebay once in a while.. funny thing i searched for my trailer for a couple of years and only found a bunch of rusted out tubs then i found a collector 1/2 a mile from my buddies house .. he had 12 of them ..i bought the best one and didnt even dicker with the price.. it was absolutly mint , the military tires still had the little nubs on them..
Unread 10-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #13
RicanLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Nice looking set up I want one!

I did a search, wow they are very expensive.

Military M416 Trailer

Swampman is your lid custom made or was it part of the trailer?

Thanks.
Unread 10-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicanLJ View Post
Nice looking set up I want one!

I did a search, wow they are very expensive.

Military M416 Trailer

Swampman is your lid custom made or was it part of the trailer?

Thanks.
good luck finding one cheap in Colorado, i've been looking for a long time. you can buy a welder, take a class on how to use it, buy the material and build one cheaper....seriously.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
RicanLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
good luck finding one cheap in Colorado, i've been looking for a long time. you can buy a welder, take a class on how to use it, buy the material and build one cheaper....seriously.

Thanks,

I picked up a tittled frame ($40.00) a few months ago to rebuild it as a camping trailer, am doing my research and getting ideas.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.