Lunchbox locker in the M20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Lunchbox locker in the M20

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 03-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #1
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

Lunchbox locker in the M20

I am thinking about going with a Lock-right or an Aussie in my Model 20. My motivator here is price. Right now front and rear are open. I don't drive the Jeep everyday but I would hate for it to be uncontrollable on snowy roads since I do a good bit of winter wheeling and I drive to the trails.

Right now I am leaning towards the Aussie based on what I have read. I searched and found alot about putting it in the D30. I have searched on here and read a good bit of stuff.

Is it possible to install a "lunchbox" locker in the M20 without pulling the carrier. I don't know if there is enough room to drive that pin out or not.

Please advise on any or all of the above
--BIGJ

2.5 inch springs Matkins Frame with 1.5 inch body lift and all Fiberglass body D30/M20 w/3.54 gears, Moser 1-piece and Rear Aussie Locker, Jeep T-18w/Dana 20 and 35" tires Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, 6 point roll cage, OBA and a bunch of other stuff.
MY RIG
BIGJMCCONNELL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Depends on the thickness of the ring gear (no go for me and 4.10's). All things even, just pull the carrier and keep the right shims in the right places and you should have any problems. Besides, wouldn't you rather work at the bench than while lying on your back on a creeper?
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

Yeah you are probably right. I hope to dump my 2-piece axles at the same time anyway so pulling the carrier shouldn't be a big deal. Too bad I have no money to spend on the Jeep

What do you think the chances of finding a used Aussie?
2.5 inch springs Matkins Frame with 1.5 inch body lift and all Fiberglass body D30/M20 w/3.54 gears, Moser 1-piece and Rear Aussie Locker, Jeep T-18w/Dana 20 and 35" tires Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, 6 point roll cage, OBA and a bunch of other stuff.
MY RIG
Unread 03-17-2005, 10:49 PM   #4
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

I have never had any luck finding used lockers that are worth buying but ya never know.

BTW, that a great color on your rig.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 04:38 AM   #5
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

Thanks. The color is Mack Truck Orange...I love it cause you don't see many orange Jeeps.

As for the locker...I hate to put a POS in there that could break and take out my R&P. Probably just get a new Aussie...they are cheap (for lockers) anyway.
MY RIG
Unread 03-18-2005, 08:10 AM   #6
CanukYJ

Yeah I'd go with a new one, plus then you get the warranty with it, it's not often you find someone getting rid of their aussie because they like them so much in the end, your best bet to find a used one would be if you just happened to come accross someone parting out a CJ with the same axles and the locker installed. The chances of that are slim enough that I would just buy new and enjoy the benefits.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 08:13 AM   #7
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

CanukYJ, I know you love you Aussie locker, but yours is up front right? I am concerned about a full locker in the rear since I have never had one in my Jeep, or any vehicle I have had for that matter. Any insight for me?

Thanks..BigJ
MY RIG
Unread 03-18-2005, 09:46 AM   #8
CanukYJ

There's a review on someone who locked the rear of their yota with an aussie and he loves it, my uncle runs a yota out west with aussies front and back (on my recommendation) and he smiles ear to ear whenever I ask him how it's working out. It certainly will change driving characteristics a bit but it's definitely manageable and no where near as harsh as a lockrite. I've never heard anyone complain except for the odd "my brothers, friends, roomates, sister" which is usually just BS from a person who has nothing left to argue but smoke and myth.

Oh forgot to answer, yeah mines in my front d30 (I did a writeup on the install in the projects section and a review in the reviews), and when I do my 8.8 swap I'll be dropping one in the back too

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
Unread 03-18-2005, 10:17 AM   #9
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

Yeah I read the review where the guy put it in the toyota axle.

So is the only place to get the Aussie locker on www.offroadlockers.com? $229 Anywhere cheaper?
MY RIG
Unread 03-18-2005, 03:08 PM   #10
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJMCCONNELL
Yeah I read the review where the guy put it in the toyota axle.

So is the only place to get the Aussie locker on www.offroadlockers.com? $229 Anywhere cheaper?
Well that IS cheap for a good locker , but yeah even if somewhere else did sell them it wouldn't be any cheaper since that is the web site of manufacturers themselves, basically you buy right from the makers, no middle man to jack the price up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.