Low T-case Fluid Level. Is this a problem? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-13-2005, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
lupinsea

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Low T-case Fluid Level. Is this a problem?

While inspecting things I noticed my t-case fluid was low and added 13 oz, or nearly half a quart of ATF, to my NP231 transfer case. Is there a chance any permenant, long-term damage occured to the transfer case from being as low as it was? I didn't notice any wierd grinding noises or anything . . . only what I would call a low-grade squeal or whine from 2 mph to 10 mph or so, then it would fade out. Initially I thought it was the "angry sparrows" syndrome common to TJ's.

Also, the t-case fluid seemed a darker shade of red than new fluid. Is this normal after 3500 miles of use? Or is it an indication I should replace the fluid in the transfer case?

Thanks for the help guys.

- Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-13-2005, 06:33 AM
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Think about it? Does it cause a problem if you are low on oil in your engine? I would say yes it can cause a problem. Did it? Maybe not, It depends on how long it was that way and how hot it got during that time.

2007, 4 door, powered by a minivan engine, locked and riding on 35's.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

At the least, I would drain the t-case and refill it with a good brand of ATF since you say it has darkened... possibly from getting hot. The specific type of ATF doesn't matter. Hard to say if any long-term damage was caused by the low ATF but since it could at least splash around inside the t-case, perhaps you got lucky. Just drive it after replacing the ATF and go from there. Hopefully it is ok.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-13-2005, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
lupinsea

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished draining and refilling the t-case fluid. It was a darker red but not as dark as I had initially thought. And there were zero metal shavings or other debris in the t-case (poked a clean finger in the drain hole and tried to scoop some out) so I think I dodged a bullet.

One thing that did strike me as odd: The FSM says the t-case should take about 2.2 pints of fluid (1L or 35.2 oz) but I added a total of 3.2 pints (51 oz.) until the fluid started coming out the top fill plug. Does this strike anyone as strange? Any idea on why this might be? I do have a belly-up skid plate so the engine/transmission/t-case isn't tilted as much as other Jeeps. This would raise the fill plug up in relation to the transverse axis of the t-case. But I didn't think it would make such a difference.

- Jay
post #5 of 10 Old 09-13-2005, 03:35 PM
ncjeepinyj

About a year and a half ago i got my jeep back (long story, lets just say it involved an ugle seperation) and it had VERY little fluid left in the t-case. I had no idea how long it had been driven this way so i did basically what Jerry suggested. So far so good, guess i got real lucky.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
One thing that did strike me as odd: The FSM says the t-case should take about 2.2 pints of fluid (1L or 35.2 oz) but I added a total of 3.2 pints (51 oz.) until the fluid started coming out the top fill plug. Does this strike anyone as strange? Any idea on why this might be? I do have a belly-up skid plate so the engine/transmission/t-case isn't tilted as much as other Jeeps. This would raise the fill plug up in relation to the transverse axis of the t-case. But I didn't think it would make such a difference.
There's a ATF capacity difference between the transfer case for an automatic vs. a manual transmission, so that's probably the discrepancy you noted. You perhaps noted the capacity of one type but you probably have the other... I forget which has the greater capacity though. More ATF is a good thing!

post #7 of 10 Old 09-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Quarry Adams

The level of your atf is not as big a deal as say the level of your motor oil, Since your t case uses a spalsh lubrication method. Same as a tranny. More fluid would most likely be to your benefit.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-13-2005, 08:11 PM
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
There's a ATF capacity difference between the transfer case for an automatic vs. a manual transmission, so that's probably the discrepancy you noted. You perhaps noted the capacity of one type but you probably have the other... I forget which has the greater capacity though. More ATF is a good thing!

the FSM only lists one capacity...the 2.2 pints figure he originally posted...

there is no seperate listing for the t-case based on the transmission...

(not that means that there isn't a difference...it's just not in the FSM)...

Greg

2001 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition (details in Profile)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 Old 09-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaylon
the FSM only lists one capacity...the 2.2 pints figure he originally posted...

there is no seperate listing for the t-case based on the transmission...

(not that means that there isn't a difference...it's just not in the FSM)...

Greg
There are two different capacities listed in my '97 FSM that depend on transmission type.

Page 0-2: 2.2 pints if the tranny is an automatic but 3.25 pints if the transfer case is bolted to a manual transmission.

post #10 of 10 Old 09-13-2005, 09:41 PM
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
There are two different capacities listed in my '97 FSM that depend on transmission type.

Page 0-2: 2.2 pints if the tranny is an automatic but 3.25 pints if the transfer case is bolted to a manual transmission.

interesting...I looked at the '01 FSM...just on the chart with lubrication info...has the axles, transmissions, etc...but just the 2.2 pts amount...

no idea how much I put in mine...just filled it to the bottom of the hole...

Greg

2001 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition (details in Profile)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.